BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(17-06-2024, 09:44 PM)radio listener Wrote:  Interesting no Iain Dale although I suppose the contracts for this may have been signed when he was off attempting to be an MP.

He will be there.....

'LBC’s stellar presenting line-up, including James O’Brien, Iain Dale, Tom Swarbrick, Carol Vorderman, and Rachel Johnson, will provide expert analysis and insight alongside leading politicians, commentators and LBC’s callers, as the night unfolds.

Unlikely his involvement would have been decided in the 3 days between resigning and coming back with his tail between his legs. Even if it was it's not as if they couldn't have changed their mind, things aren't 'signed off' as such

(17-06-2024, 10:29 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  He will be there.....

'LBC’s stellar presenting line-up, including James O’Brien, Iain Dale, Tom Swarbrick, Carol Vorderman, and Rachel Johnson, will provide expert analysis and insight alongside leading politicians, commentators and LBC’s callers, as the night unfolds.

Unlikely his involvement would have been decided in the 3 days between resigning and coming back with his tail between his legs. Even if it was it's not as if they couldn't have changed their mind, things aren't 'signed off' as such

He explained on his 'For The Many' podcast that it was exactly what happened. He had said before that he would be presenting, but that LBC had to put other plans in place when he announced plans to run to be an MP.
[-] The following 4 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, radio listener, Stooky Bill

(17-06-2024, 09:36 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Details of Global's election coverage, which includes using it's network of billboards to display the exit poll results.

Lots of mentions of The News Agents involvement in the coverage, but of course Emily Maitlis is presenting Channel 4's coverage with those from a rival podcast that night

global.com 

It’s interesting to see their image with 5 of the 6 people featured being relatively recently on the BBC, 3 of them (Maitlis, Solel and Marr) very high profile. Shows a lot about how successful Global have been at attracting talent from them.

Also interesting to see the News Agents being highlighted so prominently alongside LBC. As you allude to, Emily Maitlis being on C4 does feel odd, but perhaps it’s a good way to promote the podcast to those who aren’t already listening.

(17-06-2024, 01:13 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Do you think this election will be the chance for ITV News to use their new newsroom based studio? Maybe have their election night divided in three - Studio 1, the newsroom and the atrium?

ITV will not be using the atrium this time around. The building's owners are starting a redevelopment of the area soon and so I imagine they thought it would be unavailable for the election they expected in the autumn.
[-] The following 9 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice, JMT1985, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(17-06-2024, 10:37 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Also interesting to see the News Agents being highlighted so prominently alongside LBC. As you allude to, Emily Maitlis being on C4 does feel odd, but perhaps it’s a good way to promote the podcast to those who aren’t already listening.
It doesn't feel odd her being on Channel 4,it just seems odd for her colleagues to be on LBC while she appears alongside another podcast
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • UTVLifer

(17-06-2024, 01:13 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Do you think this election will be the chance for ITV News to use their new newsroom based studio? Maybe have their election night divided in three - Studio 1, the newsroom and the atrium?

It's tiny that studio. Just about get 3 people around a table in it from what I've seen but little else. Unless they are using one small corner.

(18-06-2024, 12:07 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  It's tiny that studio. Just about get 3 people around a table in it from what I've seen but little else. Unless they are using one small corner.

It's a bit bigger than that. Though at the moment because of the fixed cameras used for programming that comes from there, they only use one corner of it. Hopefully you will see a bit more of what is possible with it on election night. Though I should say, I haven't seen the rehearsals yet, so am not sure on how much use it will get.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Stuart

(18-06-2024, 12:07 AM)eyeTV Wrote:  It's tiny that studio. Just about get 3 people around a table in it from what I've seen but little else. Unless they are using one small corner.
Both their studios are the same size, one is used for Jeremy Vine's Channel 5 show and at one point hosted discussion programme The Time The Place which had about 50 people on screen.

It's plenty big enough for an election, and has presumably done some before. The studio apparently is slightly bigger than the one they used in the 70s and 80s. With their VR they can make it seem a lot bigger of course.

Anyway how big do people want an election studio? Why does it have to be massive in this day and age?

(18-06-2024, 06:33 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Both their studios are the same size, one is used for Jeremy Vine's Channel 5 show and at one point hosted discussion programme The Time The Place which had about 50 people on screen.

It's plenty big enough for an election, and has presumably done some before. The studio apparently is slightly bigger than the one they used in the 70s and 80s. With their VR they can make it seem a lot bigger of course.

Anyway how big do people want an election studio? Why does it have to be massive in this day and age?
I think eyeTV wasn't referring to Studios 1/2 in the basement, but to the new one created within the newsroom for the ITVX FAST channel videos. I don't even know whether it has a name within GIR.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • eyeTV, interestednovice, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

Their Studio 1 is certainly to be their main home for election night - I hope they will create a different VR backdrop for this election, instead of just tweaking what they had for 2015, which they have done in 2017 and 2019.

If they continue with the 2015 - 2019 election style, we will have the main big desk, and the smaller desk replaced with chairs and a coffee table for guests.

When this happens, where does ITV News London come from? As they share Studio 1 with the national bulletins.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer