BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(19-06-2024, 07:28 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Lucy said they were at Media City next to the Corrie set.

Should have done it from the Rovers set! I think YTV used to do a political debate from the Woolpack at one time.

(19-06-2024, 09:54 PM)James2001 Wrote:  The logo on that screen is the same one ITV news used for 2015, 17 and 19... so I'm guessing we can assume little to no change this time.

I fear you may be right, although they could easily commission a completely new virtual set that's still consistent with the ITV News branding, like they did in 2010. Isn't the regular set loosely based on the Gray's Inn Road atrium anyway?

(20-06-2024, 07:51 AM)mark Wrote:  I fear you may be right, although they could easily commission a completely new virtual set that's still consistent with the ITV News branding, like they did in 2010. Isn't the regular set loosely based on the Gray's Inn Road atrium anyway?

Yes partly, and partly a totally empty production gallery scene takes up most of the backdrop - they are most likely keeping the virtual studio for obvious reasons, but ITV has the perfect chance to do something different without physical change needed to their studio.
[-] The following 2 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald, mark

Another note watching the 1970 coverage, when they go to their studio in Glasgow during the evening, it's in colour, but when they go back there the following morning (with an ashtray with a lit cigarette visible next to the presenter! A very different era...), it's black and white, I wonder what the reason for that is? I]d like to say possibly a different studio that wasn't colour capable, but then the background is identical.

Most of the OBs and studio linkups are still B&W anyway... I think the Glasgow studio was the only one that actually was in colour... initially at least anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisherald

(20-06-2024, 03:27 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Another note watching the 1970 coverage, when they go to their studio in Glasgow during the evening, it's in colour, but when they go back there the following morning (with an ashtray with a lit cigarette visible next to the presenter! A very different era...), it's black and white, I wonder what the reason for that is? I]d like to say possibly a different studio that wasn't colour capable, but then the background is identical.

Most of the OBs and studio linkups are still B&W anyway... I think the Glasgow studio was the only one that actually was in colour... initially at least anyway.

Did they go back to their Glasgow studio or did they go to Aberdeen or indeed Edinburgh studio, which could have been only able to air in black and white?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

Times Radio are planning 100 hours non-stop of election coverage from 9.55pm on July 4th onwards.

Though I'm not quite sure what they're planning for if the pollsters are predicting such a foregone conclusion...

radiotoday.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

If the results are as the pollsters suggest, there's going to be little to report much after the first 12 hours!
[-] The following 5 users Like James2001's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, lookoutwales, UTVLifer

(20-06-2024, 07:08 PM)James2001 Wrote:  If the results are as the pollsters suggest, there's going to be little to report much after the first 12 hours!

100 hours is a meaningless claim. Sky News will do 100 hours, BBC News will do 100 hours. 100 hours takes them up to 02:00 on the Tuesday when they will start their 101st hour.

The BBC sending out a breaking news alert at 9pm ahead of Starmer and Sunak’s hour on the Question Time special is a bit dodgy

Almost as if they think the previous hour wasn’t worth watching
[-] The following 7 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc, interestednovice, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(20-06-2024, 09:01 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The BBC sending out a breaking news alert at 9pm ahead of Starmer and Sunak’s hour on the Question Time special is a bit dodgy

Almost as if they think the previous hour wasn’t worth watching

They did send one out at 19:54 as well in their defence, but it does give the impression the second hour is more important than the first.

Congratulations to Question Time for getting more notifications than the football today. Though, this is not the thread for it, today is a good case study in the overuse of the BBC News notifications. Question Time and group stage football don't really feel worthy.
[-] The following 8 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, eyeTV, interestednovice, London Lite, Rxtx, UTVLifer