BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(20-06-2024, 09:26 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  They did send one out at 19:54 as well in their defence, but it does give the impression the second hour is more important than the first.
To be fair, the election broadcasting rules suggest that too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • chrisherald, RhysJR

I think we are firmly now in the territory of too much politics - Next week on BBC One we’ve got the head to head leaders debate, a normal edition of Question Time, and another Question Time leaders special, plus outstanding Panorama leaders profiles.

The normal edition of Question Time is probably a bit surplus to requirements there, as it will surely just be a repeat of all the other programmes
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, GMc, JJJJ, thePineapple

A nice little promo appeared a couple of days ago: youtu.be 
[-] The following 8 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, Michael Wotton, Reith85, RhysJR, xlalonce

On previous elections, does anyone remember when BBC World ran with its own coverage of a UK General Election?

I think it was 2005 or 2010 that BBC World had its own coverage with Nik Gowing sat in (I think) the News 24 studio with Janet Daley and another commentator around the table. At the time, I wonder what international viewers thought of what appeared such relatively small scale coverage from the BBC.

(20-06-2024, 11:01 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  On previous elections, does anyone remember when BBC World ran with its own coverage of a UK General Election?

I think it was 2005 or 2010 that BBC World had its own coverage with Nik Gowing sat in (I think) the News 24 studio with Janet Daley and another commentator around the table. At the time, I wonder what international viewers thought of what appeared such relatively small scale coverage from the BBC.
It was 2001 and it came from the Sport Today set, redone with a red version of the Vote 2001 graphics. Every other election they have taken the BBC One coverage, but I guess, with 2001 being such a foregone conclusion, it was viewed as not necessary to have it clog up the entire schedule - I presume they mixed the election coverage with news bulletins.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Omnipresent, UTVLifer

(20-06-2024, 10:21 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I think we are firmly now in the territory of too much politics - Next week on BBC One we’ve got the head to head leaders debate, a normal edition of Question Time, and another Question Time leaders special, plus outstanding Panorama leaders profiles.

The normal edition of Question Time is probably a bit surplus to requirements there, as it will surely just be a repeat of all the other programmes

There is also a Question Time special with the leader of Plaid Cymru on the BBC News Channel and BBC One Wales on Monday. Also there is the Welsh Leaders Debate tomorrow night on BBC One Wales and the News Channel and the Northern Ireland Leaders Debate next Thursday on BBC One NÍ and the News Channel. Hang in there though the Election campaign is nearing it’s end.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

BBC local radio schedules seem to have updated. Looks to be a regional networking set up, in Yorkshire Steve Bailey is on 10-2 followed by Andrew Edwards, which is a very welcome return, if only a one off.

(19-06-2024, 01:18 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  The 1970 election night coverage from the BBC came under severe criticism, as it looked like they were blowing a lot of licence fee money on this one off gimmick for just one night, being at Trafalgar Square with the big TV monitor. It didn't go down well with the audience and the BBC board.

However badly it was recieved, it was back in 1974 (though it looks like the neighbouring ITN screen wasn't)

[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • bilky asko

(20-06-2024, 10:21 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I think we are firmly now in the territory of too much politics - Next week on BBC One we’ve got the head to head leaders debate, a normal edition of Question Time, and another Question Time leaders special, plus outstanding Panorama leaders profiles.

The BBC always go overboard during election periods. I'll be glad to see the back of QT once it goes for the summer break.

I get trying to get people engaged in politics but you risk boring the public with too much politics programmes.
[-] The following 3 users Like XIII's post:
  • AndrewP, JJJJ, UTVLifer

(21-06-2024, 02:24 PM)XIII Wrote:  The BBC always go overboard during election periods. I'll be glad to see the back of QT once it goes for the summer break.

I get trying to get people engaged in politics but you risk boring the public with too much politics programmes.

Thing is though, what do you drop?

The head to head debates are fair enough as it's the 2 people who could be Prime Minister next month, the seven way debate keeps the smaller parties happy and this Question Time episode has let audience members put questions to the candidates in a different environment.

You've only got an additional episode of Question Time next week because one of the parties were unhappy about being excluded from yesterday's edition.
[-] The following 7 users Like Ash101's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, LDN, thePineapple, UTVLifer