BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(21-06-2024, 06:14 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That sounds like a whisper made very close to a microphone. Can't see how it could have been a cameraman? Aren't the audience atmos mics usually slung from the grid?
Yes, the only microphones a camera operator has in a multicamera studio environment are talkback headsets.

The person who said it would have been in the audience, and there's not much that can be done about that unfortunately
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart, SuperSajuuk

(21-06-2024, 09:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I assume BBC NI and UTV have done some debates of their own given the different political landscape of Northern Ireland.

I’m not sure about UTV but a Northern Ireland Leaders Debate takes place next Thursday at 9pm on BBC 1 Northern Ireland and the BBC News Channel.

The UTV Election Debate is this Sunday.
[-] The following 3 users Like denton's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie

Apparently, Sky's election night coverage starts at 9. I'm wondering what on earth they're going to fill that first hour with considering they can't talk about anything political. The very limited things they can talk about they surely can't stretch to an hour, or even half that.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart

They’ve started at 9 for quite a few elections now. To be fair they are a rolling news channel so know a bit about how to fill time.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 8 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jeff, Luc, UTVLifer

(22-06-2024, 02:55 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Apparently, Sky's election night coverage starts at 9. I'm wondering what on earth they're going to fill that first hour with considering they can't talk about anything political. The very limited things they can talk about they surely can't stretch to an hour, or even half that.

I think they've done that before.

C4 are coming to air at 9.45pm, ITV1 at 9.50pm and BBC One 9.55pm.

Presumably all the broadcasters share the same exit poll?

C4's programme appears to be called "Britain Decides with The Rest Is Politics and Gogglebox"
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald

(22-06-2024, 03:10 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Presumably all the broadcasters share the same exit poll?

Sky, ITV and BBC do, not sure about Channel 4.

IIRC psephologists from all three networks work together on it.

Producers get it about 10 mins before in a secure room, they aren’t allowed to have their phones.
[-] The following 3 users Like Connews's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald

C4 is ITN Productions I believe so I expect they may receive it also?
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • UTVLifer

(22-06-2024, 04:27 PM)Connews Wrote:  Sky, ITV and BBC do, not sure about Channel 4.

IIRC psephologists from all three networks work together on it.

Producers get it about 10 mins before in a secure room, they aren’t allowed to have their phones.

I think it's done for Sky, ITN and the BBC, so Channel 4 would get it
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff

(22-06-2024, 03:10 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Presumably all the broadcasters share the same exit poll?
Yes, it's been a collaboration between BBC, Sky and ITV/ITN for many elections.

I think they still use NOP and MORI to collect the data, then share and analyse it using the same team so that at 22:00 they all announce identical data. I think it shows how well the broadcasters can work together.

It's a big exercise on the day, so little point in duplicating effort and expenditure on producing a separate exit poll for each service. Furthermore, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the prediction. However, there's no accounting for someone lying when they give an answer as they exit the polling station.
[-] The following 6 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Jeff, thePineapple, UTVLifer