BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

BBC and ITN joined forces in 2005, with sky joining in 2010. 2005 is when the current version of exit poll come in to being with Sir John Curtice and David Firth.

If I can remember collectedly, its not until 21.45 someone tells the BBC the exit poll info. 2 people ( one must be a graphic designer) I BBC who then tells ITN AND Sky. small number of people know until 10pm.
[-] The following 4 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Stuart, UTVLifer

So the presenters haven't seen it before 10pm?

(22-06-2024, 05:06 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  So the presenters haven't seen it before 10pm?

Sky certainly suggested they hadn’t last time. Beth Rigby was clearly eager to see the numbers, and Dermot Murnaghan said words to the effect of “you don’t know what it’ll say, we don’t know what it’ll say” just before 10.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • AndrewP, eyeTV, Stuart

(22-06-2024, 05:08 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Sky certainly suggested they hadn’t last time. Beth Rigby was clearly eager to see the numbers, and Dermot Murnaghan said words to the effect of “you don’t know what it’ll say, we don’t know what it’ll say” just before 10.
I think that is the best solution.

No broadcaster can legally give a prediction before 22:00 on the day, so the revelation is equally new to the presenters/guests on each channel. The reactions are therefore genuine.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff

Always felt it's a shame the exit polls merged although I get why in regards to a larger samplr, but the differences and similarities between polls would give more to chew over in the first hour. One polls means if it's wrong they're all wrong and trickier to identify why when they haven't other polls to compare data too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

Sky's coverage has started at 9pm for as long as I can remember - which is 1997. It's true that they have to be very bland in that hour while the polls are still open, but it's still good for anyone who just wants election night to get underway. They can do things like introduce the various elements of their coverage.

Speaking of 1997, back then the BBC and ITV has separate exit polls, as has been mentioned - and Sky just had a phone poll where you could vote as many times as you liked. But Sky still ended up reporting the BBC and ITV exit poll results. The current joint BBC/ITV/Sky poll makes much more financial and editorial sense for all 3 broadcasters.
[-] The following 6 users Like mark's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, lookoutwales, Luc, Transmission

(22-06-2024, 04:48 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  C4 is ITN Productions I believe so I expect they may receive it also?

Channel 4 election night will not be produced at ITN headquarters, I assume they will be hiring out Riverside TV Studio 1 again since Have I Got News For You are now finished with their series, but of course ITN will have input and can provide them the poll numbers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

IIRC, the broadcasters get the exit poll details about 20 minutes before the 10pm reveal.

There was a Twitter video from 2017 where Chris Mason and (I think) Stephen Nolan were waiting to go on air on 5 Live when they - and their producers - were given the exit poll ahead of time.

Can’t find it now, unfortunately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • chrisherald

I'm also fairly certain I saw footage of a small group of people in ITV - including Tom Hradby and Julie Etchingham - being briefed on the exit poll results shortly before going on air.

To me it makes sense to have the key on air staff - those who have to present the results - to know what they will be. No harm in those who have to 'react' (such as panellists) in the dark the same way that the audience are.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PJamo's post:
  • UTVLifer

I can't remember if I've posted this before, it's a compilation of the BBCs exit polls from 1992 to 2019, with the actual results

Really interesting to see how they compare and how close most of them have been. In a way it's a shame to have a spoiler, but then the broadcasters would have nothing to talk about for the first few hours

youtu.be 
[-] The following 7 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Ash101, chrisherald, interestednovice, Omnipresent, Stuart