BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

They also did brief tests for London and the South East on that 12168 transponder, so my guess would be those three to change over first.

Those three would be a huge first hit in terms of population coverage.

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nick Harvey's post:
  • bkman1990

(22-12-2022, 01:44 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  They also did brief tests for London and the South East on that 12168 transponder, so my guess would be those three to change over first.

Those three would be a huge first hit in terms of population coverage.
I wouldn't base any theories on those tests or whatever they were. It might well have just something as simple as Sky fiddling around changing their source etc.

Politically it’d be an odd choice if they went for all southern regions for the first wave of the rollout. I’d have expected Salford to be one of the first, given they’re fully HD equipped.

Supposedly the rollout is as follows:

[*]South
[*]East Midlands, East
[*]West Midlands, Yorks & Lincs
[*]West, South West, Channel Islands, London
[*]North East & Cumbria, North West, Yorkshire 
[*]South East
[-] The following 3 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Spencer

(22-12-2022, 07:13 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Supposedly the rollout is as follows:

[*]South
[*]East Midlands, East
[*]South East
That's rather an odd sequence.  BBC South West have been downscaling their broadcasts to SD for 6 years. Surely it's quite easy to change the DSat uplink?
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, GaryH

(22-12-2022, 07:13 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Supposedly the rollout is as follows:

[*]South
[*]East Midlands, East
[*]South East

So is this the order? Looks an unusual order but very useful to know. Thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990

That order is logical so far as transponder use is concerned. Two at a time per mux

(22-12-2022, 09:12 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  That order is logical so far as transponder use is concerned. Two at a time per mux
But the choice of TP seems illogical. They tested using a Sky TP, rather than one from Freesat, so that doesn't really add up.

Just to clarify, that isn't first-hand info from me; it was posted elsewhere and I took a note of it, but I can't find the source for the life of me. It might even have been here somewhere!

There are no spare muxes currently to. Test them on.

But taking two SD feeds off each mux at a time and alternating does make sense.

South (SD currently on tp 48. Oxford on 48 bit being replaced) 2 on 48 being removed
East Midlands, East (SD currently on tp46 - Cambrudgebon 45 nit being replaced) 2 on 46 1 on 45 removed
West Midlands, Yorks & Lincs (SD also on tp46(
West, South West, Channel Islands, London (West CI and London currently on 45 to be removed. SW us on 48
North East & Cumbria, North West, Yorkshire (All these currently on tp47)
South East (currently on tp47.

Question now is at what point do Scotland Wales and NI get SD closures. The SD for them are on 47 46 and 48 respectively.

Cheers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990