Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

I guess if you're being generous you could argue for World Have Your Say as a precedent.

(26-08-2022, 07:40 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 06:40 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(26-08-2022, 06:27 PM)Moz Wrote:  Members of the public phoning a radio station to give their 'expert views' is NOT news - radio mic or no radio mic.

Burying your head in the sand and pretending everything's ok - that feels like you avoid problems!

I was mainly commenting on how appropriate televising a radio phone in and calling it news was - and that's on track. You may have moved on, but I've only just read this and wanted to comment.

Except, of course, the conversation in hand was actually about the PM programme. And, as I have expressed numerous times, including today, I consider visualising Nicky Campbell to be an odd choice and it wouldn't be something I'd have chosen. At no point did I refer to a radio phone-in as news, because it obviously isn't.

Ahh. My apologies. I missed that.

Agree that PM would work quite well.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Since yesterday morning, the News Channel has been leading with and heavily dominated by the latest energy price cap announcement. This is of no relevance to anyone internationally. It's not even relevant to people within the UK in Northern Ireland!!!

So how on earth is this newly merged, World dominated channel going to manage a news story like this, that is of key importance and hugely significant to British viewers, but of no interest and significance at all outside of Britain?
[-] The following 5 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • itsrobert, Lester, Ma76, Steve in Pudsey, The_IT_Technician

(27-08-2022, 06:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Since yesterday morning, the News Channel has been leading with and heavily dominated by the latest energy price cap announcement. This is of no relevance to anyone internationally. It's not even relevant to people within the UK in Northern Ireland!!!

So how on earth is this newly merged, World dominated channel going to manage a news story like this, that is of key importance and hugely significant to British viewers, but of no interest and significance at all outside of Britain?

Crikey! Take a breath young man! Nothing is set I stone. The following months will be 90% full of UK politics so I’d be astounded if this merge even happened at all. UK Politics has never been so Alive and I therefore cannot see any change for at least 3 months in such time - they’ll have enough to prove.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(27-08-2022, 06:12 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Since yesterday morning, the News Channel has been leading with and heavily dominated by the latest energy price cap announcement. This is of no relevance to anyone internationally. It's not even relevant to people within the UK in Northern Ireland!!!

Why does it need to cover it? What’s up with it being covered by network bulletins, Breakfast, regional news, Politics Live, The One Show, local radio, 5 Live… you know, the outlets that *actually* get the viewers and listeners?

(27-08-2022, 07:42 PM)all new phil Wrote:  

Why does it need to cover it? What’s up with it being covered by network bulletins, Breakfast, regional news, Politics Live, The One Show, local radio, 5 Live… you know, the outlets that *actually* get the viewers and listeners?

Because Britain deserves its own news channel from its main public broadcaster? Just like every other country in Europe?
[-] The following 6 users Like Lester's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, itsrobert, Ma76, MFTJA, Newsroom

Exactly! There's no way of working around these kinds of major day-to-day political stories. Looks ridiculous to an international audience if it dominates, looks ridiculous to a domestic audience if it doesn't. And a hodge-podge half-and-half job doesn't suit either audience either - particularly not in mid-afternoon which is Asia peak.

While I've always been very clear about protecting World being the financially sensible thing to do, the BBC will surely have to realise that some degree of separation is the only politically and editorially sensible thing to do - and, as Newsroom suggests, I think the news agenda this winter will do a good job of proving it. As I've previously pointed out, there are so many ways they can maintain several hours of UK-only output during daytime hours, even within their proposed levels of cuts - I just hope that they choose at least one of them.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Roger Darthwell

I might have asked this before, but is there any reason why, when they do merge the two channels, they don't just have the duty World presenter do a UK bulletin when World breaks at :30 for the likes of World Business Report? Such an approach strikes me as one which could solve a lot of problems.

I think that would require a second staffed studio. Presenters are a fraction of the overall cost they are looking to save.

(27-08-2022, 09:52 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think that would require a second staffed studio. Presenters are a fraction of the overall cost they are looking to save.

Excellent point - hadn't thought of that. I still think they should do more to preserve UK news as best they can, though I realise that is much easier said than done. As has already been suggested here and at the old place, I do suspect that the One team will ultimately stay on through the afternoon, and that will be spun as 'saving the News Channel'.
Thread Closed