BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

BBC One West Midlands HD, BBC One East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire HD and BBC Alba HD will begin testing on Sky and Freesat from tomorrow.

They will appear on TP 61 which is 11023 H 23000.
[-] The following 2 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • harshy, London Lite

(01-02-2023, 07:28 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  BBC One West Midlands HD, BBC One East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire HD and BBC Alba HD will begin testing on Sky and Freesat from tomorrow.

They will appear on TP 61 which is 11023 H 23000.

BBC One Yk&L HD will be on TP 50 (10847 V) Wink  

Otherwise TP 61 would have 6 TV services, the BBC seem to try to stick to 5 TV services maximum per transponder (with 3 versions of BBC One and 2 non-BBC1 services each).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • bkman1990

Interesting to see how smoothly the picture changes between HD and upscaled SD when heading towards local programming.

During the weather in the Six on BBC ONE HD (West Midland)

In HD theident.gallery 
Web Image

then a frame later in SD

theident.gallery 
Web Image

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman

I notice the red screen of death on BBC One Nightlight has music accompanying it, as opposed to the waves crashing on the HD equivalent. Also the BBC logo is animated and it doesn’t switch to programme previews at 6.45pm.

I quite like the music though - rather soothing, and reminds me of the old Sky Digital EPG background music.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Former Member 406, SunburntRock89

The music on BBC One Nightlight is from the BBC Red Button feed known as BBC RB1. It has being used for a long time when I watch it for the lead up to Snooker and Radio 1 movie interview programmes.
[-] The following 2 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • Happy2001, Spencer

So, quick question, when the last region switches to HD, will the RSOD version of BBC One HD be removed from Sky/Freesat?

(02-02-2023, 11:08 PM)CCFG Wrote:  So, quick question, when the last region switches to HD, will the RSOD version of BBC One HD be removed from Sky/Freesat?
You would have thought so. I can’t see any reason to keep it. But then I can’t see any reason why HD regions are still getting it on 115.

(02-02-2023, 11:08 PM)CCFG Wrote:  So, quick question, when the last region switches to HD, will the RSOD version of BBC One HD be removed from Sky/Freesat?

The RSOD will certainly end, and there won't be a BBC One HD on channel 106 or 115 any more. The question is what happens to the capacity currently used by that version of BBC One HD. If, as widely assumed, it simply morphs into BBC One South East HD (the last region to switch), then technically it won't be 'removed', it'll just be renamed.

(03-02-2023, 12:52 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  The RSOD will certainly end, and there won't be a BBC One HD on channel 106 or 115 any more. The question is what happens to the capacity currently used by that version of BBC One HD. If, as widely assumed, it simply morphs into BBC One South East HD (the last region to switch), then technically it won't be 'removed', it'll just be renamed.

BBC One SE HD will use a different SID though.

So BBC One HD will cease to broadcast and BBC One SE HD will start as a new channel, wich just happens to use the capacity that was freed up by the closure of the RSOD-version of BBC One HD.
[-] The following 3 users Like ASnep's post:
  • bkman1990, IanJRedman, London Lite

Yes by the end of the process the only region who still have BBC One HD will be SE, therefore it will just change to be BBC One SE HD