GB News

The channel would still have been responsible as far as Ofcom are concerned as its the channels responsibility to ensure it doesn't fall foul of the rules.

(06-02-2023, 06:16 PM)AllanTheScot Wrote:  The channel would still have been responsible as far as Ofcom are concerned as its the channels responsibility to ensure it doesn't fall foul of the rules.

Yes it's odd isn't it. Though I wonder if it's more that he would've been financially responsible in the event of his show causing the channel to receive an Ofcom fine rather than just slap on the wrists.

Check this out from Press Gazette:

pressgazette.co.uk 

Can't fault the CEO of being ambitious.

(06-02-2023, 06:34 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(06-02-2023, 06:16 PM)AllanTheScot Wrote:  The channel would still have been responsible as far as Ofcom are concerned as its the channels responsibility to ensure it doesn't fall foul of the rules.

Yes it's odd isn't it. Though I wonder if it's more that he would've been financially responsible in the event of his show causing the channel to receive an Ofcom fine rather than just slap on the wrists.
I think that’s basically what it means. He explains it here’s at about 20 mins in. www.steynonline.com 

It does sound like he doesn’t believe in any regulation at all.

(06-02-2023, 06:50 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  Check this out from Press Gazette:

pressgazette.co.uk 

It’s hard to see any ambition in that, it’s all about cost-cutting. Which of course they need to do to be profitable but I can’t see any ambitions for the content mentioned in that article.

I'm not surprised that Mark Steyn is gone. Steyn is one of those who will say what he thinks regardless of any consequences especially from Ofcom.

I do think this will not be the last we see of him on a news channel as he would make himself available to Newsmax in the USA. I believe he would be much happier there.

pressgazette.co.uk 

Can't see GBN being around in 2028. Hell, I'm not sure if even Sky News will be around then (I do hope so).

(06-02-2023, 07:01 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I'm not surprised that Mark Steyn is gone. Steyn is one of those who will say what he thinks regardless of any consequences especially from Ofcom.

I do think this will not be the last we see of him on a news channel as he would make himself available to Newsmax in the USA. I believe he would be much happier there.

Or he can go back to being Tucker Carlson's understudy on Fox News. As long as he's off our screens, I couldn't care less.

(06-02-2023, 07:03 PM)Kojak Wrote:  

pressgazette.co.uk 

Can't see GBN being around in 2028. Hell, I'm not sure if even Sky News will be around then (I do hope so).

(06-02-2023, 07:01 PM)KrazyKei Wrote:  I'm not surprised that Mark Steyn is gone. Steyn is one of those who will say what he thinks regardless of any consequences especially from Ofcom.

Or he can go back to being Tucker Carlson's understudy on Fox News. As long as he's off our screens, I couldn't care less.

A lot of people have said that GB News wouldn't last for one year never alone to now. If they are to make it to 2028, they need to make it more of a news channel rather than an opinion channel during the day.

I've seen Mark on his show becoming quite demeaning to Rupert Murdoch, I doubt he would want to go back to Fox News.

I'm shocked that Steyn lasted so long and the craziness of his output was magnified by the fact that he had 4 shows a week (as opposed to a Neil Oliver who is only on once). I just don't think Steyn really understands how broadcasting in the UK works and why you have to adhere to Ofcom guidelines. I don't think he was ever going to be receptive to it so best that he & GBN have parted ways. Someone like him was always better suited to America. If Neil Oliver goes next, then the channel wins back some level of respectability. Not that the output will be perfect but being free of conspiracy theorists is a decent step forward.

Of course, this has ignited all of the nut jobs on Twitter who insist that Steyn's departure means the channel has gone 'woke'.
[-] The following 2 users Like GlasgowCruiser's post:
  • Kojak, radiorebel

Steyn reckons GBN wanted him to personally lay any potential Ofcom fines relating to his programme, and that is why he left:

www.theguardian.com 

order-order.com 

Whilst I am not upset that he has left GBN, that is surely not done, at any broadcaster? I could understand a presenter’s pay being docked, or being sacked, for breaching Ofcom guidelines, but forcing them to pay the fine themselves? Methinks this was their way of getting rid.

(06-02-2023, 09:20 PM)GlasgowCruiser Wrote:  If Neil Oliver goes next, then the channel wins back some level of respectability. Not that the output will be perfect but being free of conspiracy theorists is a decent step forward.

Calvin Robinson, too. I won't go into specifics because that's not for here, but suffice to say, some of the stuff that man comes out with is WILD. Get rid of those two and already they'd be a long way back to some semblance of respectability.

(06-02-2023, 10:51 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Steyn reckons GBN wanted him to personally lay any potential Ofcom fines relating to his programme, and that is why he left:

Whilst I am not upset that he has left GBN, that is surely not done, at any broadcaster? I could  understand a presenter’s pay being docked, or being sacked, for breaching Ofcom guidelines, but forcing them to pay the fine themselves? Methinks this was their way of getting rid.
Well if you’d been following the thread you’ve been posting so much in you’d already know that, not least because I posted the video in which Steyn makes this claim. Although I guess I can’t blame you if didn’t want to visit his site. It sounds a a bit like when football clubs fine their players for bad behaviour or being late. 

You might be right about it being their way of getting rid, Laurence Fox is a much bigger name in the UK and well known for his views. He’ll already have following and drive audiences in the same way Farage does.

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread