Irish TV Programmes

Ray D’Arcy hasn’t gone anywhere, he’s still got a daily radio show. His Saturday night TV show is gone at this stage though, with Angela Scanlon and Tommy Tiernan among others filling the void. Given the trouble they seem to be having filling the Late Late’s runtime these days, I’m not surprised they’ve decided that another similar show on Saturday night just isn’t worth it at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • London Lite

Claire Byrne has been filming a new quiz show format in Virgin Media Studios in Ballymount over the weekend. The new quiz show is called Ireland's Smartest. It will be screened on RTÉ over the coming months.

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/claire-byrne-lands-brand-new-29378455
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • AJB39

https://www.thesun.ie/tv/10346755/jordan-dunbar-dead-first-dates-rte-emotional-tributes/

First Dates Ireland star and presenter of My Yellow Brick Road; Jordan Dunbar has died aged 29. RIP.

(06-03-2023, 08:16 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Claire Byrne has been filming a new quiz show format in Virgin Media Studios in Ballymount over the weekend. The new quiz show is called Ireland's Smartest.

Saw that title and immediately thought of Britain's Brightest.

No, not Britain's Brightest *Family* - but the BBC show from 2013 hosted by Clare Balding. (Ten years ago already - wow...)

www.youtube.com 

Title similarities aside, I'm taking it this new show isn't connected?

Maybe, the BBC format was licensed I think, it’s very vague as to what the format here is apart from general knowledge (don’t think RTE’s done one of those in a while).

The interesting aspect here is that the show is being filmed in VMTV’s studios for RTE. That’s a very unusual one in an Irish context, I know it’s a long time since “An ITV Studios production for BBC” went from being a surprising sight to a regular occurrence but these two broadcasters do not co-operate with each other regularly except for some sub licensing of sports rights in the past.

(11-03-2023, 09:32 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Maybe, the BBC format was licensed I think, it’s very vague as to what the format here is apart from general knowledge (don’t think RTE’s done one of those in a while).

Britain's Brightest was based on a German show (but made less use of talent show tropes):

www.bothersbar.co.uk 

I could be wrong, but I think RTE's last general knowledge quiz was the Division pilot with Anne Doyle in 2013 - which was repeated at least three times, and whose format impressed S4C enough for them to commission their own version, Rhannu, in 2019.

vimeo.com 

Staying on the subject of GK quizzes on RTE, it's now two decades since It's Not the Answer filled the 6:30 slot on RTE1 in August (before the Reeling In the Years repeats cemented themselves in this slot), and was promoted as "TV's toughest quiz show" (though in all fairness it was a lot, LOT less tough than the Krypton Factor). To my knowledge, this is the only game show originating in Ireland to have had a full-blown, pan-British version - ITV's effort airing at lunchtimes, with Nadia Sawalha hosting.

www.ukgameshows.com 

The Lyrics Board (show where you had to guess the name of a song, and sing it for good measure) was sold to S4C, but that might not count as pan-U.K. given it was in Welsh. That’s been RTE’s most successful international format, it’s been sold to a number of countries.

It’s just been announced that Ryan Tubridy is to step down from hosting the Late Late Show on RTÉ 1 at the end of the current season.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, Roger Darthwell

(16-03-2023, 11:48 AM)AJB39 Wrote:  It’s just been announced that Ryan Tubridy is to step down from hosting the Late Late Show on RTÉ 1 at the end of the current season.
Can't wait to see who will replace him

This decision from Ryan Tubridy today feels really surreal to take in but it feels good to know that he said he has had enough of his run at this job.

It is time for someone else to take over the helm of this show and take it on to a whole new level.

What that entails is going to be difficult to describe, in the hardest sense of the word, but it is going to be really interesting to know who or what is going to come next for the new era of The Late Late Show.

I wish Ryan the best of luck with whatever he wants to go next. He stuck in there and had a great run.

Whoever is going to take up job next has really big shoes to fill. It is not meant to be a job that takes on the lightest of hearts. It feels like a journey. I just hope it leads them to an incredible journey later on.