CITV is to close

(19-03-2023, 12:54 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And I'd be amazed if ITV3+1 didn't go 24/7 on Freeview once CITV closed.  There is obviously still considered to be value in them considering they're not being sacrificed in this era when everybody supposedly catches up on demand (and bringing the "restart" function to non-BBC Freeview channels doesn't seem to have got anywhere despite being touted a year or two ago).  Sadly though BARB don't report the +1 channels separately anymore, lumping them in with the main channel. 

One other thing I wonders is with CITV being a limited hours channel, unlike their commercial rivals, has that limited their advertising too.  Assuming the permitted level is the same as other channels I assume they can only air an average of 9 minutes of ads between 6am and 9pm, but the 24/7 channels can balance that average out by scrapping ads overnight and airing 12 minutes an hour between 6am and midnight.
Never thought about it, but I guess they rarely show adverts at the likes of 6am.

It's a bit more complicated than that, it's an average of 9 minutes of advertising per hour and maximum of 12 minutes max per hour, but they can still add a 3 minutes on average of teleshopping spots, which is for instance why Sky Comedy and More4 have at minor time slots an entire hour dedicated to back-to-back 12 minutes of that.

OT: the EU has went as far as removing the 12 minutes per hour max law, and just having an average of 12 minutes per hour between 6:00 and 18:00, and 18:00-00:00 (no limit on other time slots), which results in longer and/or more frequent ad breaks at peak times.
You can easily tell this is being applied in Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Spain and beyond, now
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • interestednovice

Yes, that seems to be the route OFCOM are wanting to go and the most recent consultation is the first when ITV and C4 especially haven't favoured maintaining the status quo. I find it baffling linear chanenls are wanting to increase the length of ad breaks when viewers are getting used to shorter ad loads in the ad-supported on demand content.

Bringing it back to kids TV and POP TV on their linear channels have 22 minute shows in 30 or 31 minute slots (to get around the OFCOM rule on no ads in 30 minute shows) but they also have a streaming channel POP Kids (which now seems to have replaced Pop Player on 208) in 24-25 minute slots, which based on the other FAST channels on ITVX I suspect would also be the case should they launch an ITVX Kids stream. Indeed the Freeview streamed channel has a message when you launch it explaining standard advertising rules don't apply to it as a streamed channel - not sure if that applies to the type of content (i.e. junk food) as well as the structure and length of ad breaks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice, Kunst, Ma76

OT: I think there are complicated market rules explaining why they don't reduce the advertising on normal linear channels, e.g. we're just "used" to them, and fast channels aren't watched by many.

I notice Sky entertainment channels carry 11 mins of advertising per hour instead of 12 mins of advertising per hour now, mostly in order to give their channels a slightly more premium feeling and in order for them to promote more their own offer (1 mins more), but aside from that, no big changes! Actually, the minutage has all gone in "central breaks" with almost no advertising (aside from self promotions) on external breaks.

As you've mentioned, COSTA laws do not apply to streaming channels, so they can have central breaks (which they aren't allowed to on children's content in Italy) and more frequent ad breaks (but they aren't profitable there), even on kids channels on "fast" TV; I notice it also on the PLUTO TV Italian channels.

I don't think OFCOM will go as far as going beyond the tradition 12 minutes per hour rules of advertising as in the Netherlands and beyond, but giving some more flexibility to the PBS channels is well overdue, and won't cause too many issues, given the remaining channels carry 12 mins per hour all the time, while ITV incredibly HAS to have an ad-less slot at the likes of 6pm and 10pm, incredibly bad especially for weekends.

Bad for them but good for the viewer and it's for a reason - to encourage content in primetime which isn't commercially attractive - and indeed enable some, especially live sport, which is. A night they had live football, especially now a half can be 55 minutes, means hitting that 12 minutes isn't possible.

Bringing it back to kids TV but I assume a chunk of the CITV weekend slot (on ITV1/Breakfast) is relatively ad free. Indeed I think the ITV Breakfast slot may stipulate the ad quota across the week rather than daily, so they can put more into GMB in the week.

(23-03-2023, 12:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Bad for them but good for the viewer and it's for a reason - to encourage content in primetime which isn't commercially attractive - and indeed enable some, especially live sport, which is.  A night they had live football, especially now a half can be 55 minutes, means hitting that 12 minutes isn't possible.

Bringing it back to kids TV but I assume a chunk of the CITV weekend slot (on ITV1/Breakfast) is relatively ad free.  Indeed I think the ITV Breakfast slot may stipulate the ad quota across the week rather than daily, so they can put more into GMB in the week.
Relatively good for the viewer, once maybe: it's not like they make good use of these slots, which might be improved, as these are commercial broadcasters first and foremost.

I think PSB are living through difficult times already as it is, without adding an extra layer of complications with advertising laws.

Just made them respect their obligations, without too tight advertising laws, or just reformulate them slightly differently.

And yes, that CITV slot is not so attractive advertisers.

Maybe, I don't know, change the whole thing to a 7 mins of average in the broadcasting day and 45 mins between 6pm and 11pm, but more likely, we'll just the whole thing being flattened out, without removing some programme obligations of course.

Likely they won't use the 12 mins of advertising per hour everywhere, of course, as movies and football can't have it, but news and regional news probably need a slightly little push these days.

But the current situation is not ideal: ITV1 and Channel 5 already feel forced to have teleshopping from the likes of 1am, which is not very PSB, and the lack of advertising at 6pm and 10pm seems like a dream, but it's not for them.

We might continue this discussion in a different thread if you want, it's always curious to see such things being discussed and different opinions Smile

Not entirely relevent to this thread, but this is a joy to read:

www.mirror.co.uk 

No series 8 actors to be seen, I imagine everyone wants to forget that series ever existed, should have ended after series 7.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • fanoftv, Kojak, Tola

(23-03-2023, 09:16 PM)James2001 Wrote:  No series 8 actors to be seen, I imagine everyone wants to forget that series ever existed, should have ended after series 7.

To be honest I was half expecting some half-arsed clickbait type title like "Viewers SHOCKED as kids from My Parents Are Aliens shown to have grown up in reunion photo".

I always felt Series 8 was one of those "network insists" things. If production wants to wrap it up after 7 series but the network wants an 8th because its been a solid performer, history shows that this is rarely a good thing, and as was proved here... it wasn't.

Maybe if it had been two or three years later, but straight after? I think the killer was the whole "lets wipe the parents memories and we'll start again", though I can't actually remember why they did that in the storyline of the show, ironically enough.

Series 8 wouldn't have been as bad if they had changed the kids, but at least kept Brian & Sophie's memories. It was that which basically made the final series so poor, they undid everything from the previous 7 series and they even felt like entirely different characters, not to mention the holographic man suddenly appearing in the guidebook who'd never been mentioned before. The final episode of series 7 was very well done, and would have been a perfect place to leave it. It was basically a reboot, if you cut off those first couple of minutes of the first episode where their memories get wiped, there was literally nothing to connect it to the previous 7 series, they may as well just have crash landed on Earth for the first time.

The CITV channel stopped repeating series 8 quite quickly, which shows they didn't think much of it either.

I don't know if anyone remembers My Spy Family which was made for Boomerang, by Kindle Entertainment who were basically the former ITV childrens department after it was closed, it was pretty much just MPAA but with spies instead of aliens (made by most of the same production team), incredibly derivative.

(23-03-2023, 09:16 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Not entirely relevent to this thread, but this is a joy to read:

www.mirror.co.uk 

No series 8 actors to be seen, I imagine everyone wants to forget that series ever existed, should have ended after series 7.
They don’t seem to know who is actually in the photo

Second rubbish Mirror story I’ve commented on today

Not sure if this is allowed or not, but I was looking through trademark filings earlier and found an "ITVX Kids" as the most recent one.

Think it's got anything to do with that "ITV Kids" thing seen in the dev shots from DixonBaxi?