Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

I totally agree that the pulsating globe is very recognisable as BBC News. But that doesn’t mean it can’t change.

The risk is that brand becomes diluted with the introduction of the icon. What is the logo? The globe, the icon or simple “BBC News”?

The icon has been on the nation’s mobile phones for more than a year. Surely they can now feel confident enough to put that front-and-centre? The whole Chameleon rebrand feels like an apology - if you’re confident in your new brand, be bold and shout about it.
[-] The following 5 users Like chris's post:
  • chevron, James, Stuart, Superman1986, Telefunken

I don’t think we’ll see any major change to the titles with the launch of the News Channel, just the ‘Reith style’ on the end cap (BBC logo at the top, NEWS at the bottom).

On the icon, it’s specifically not a logo and was never designed as such. It’s a signifier for Apps, like the BBC News App and so on, so I don’t think we’ll ever see it on titles.
[-] The following 4 users Like ldnpres's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Superman1986, UTVLifer

twitter.com 

Visit the Internet Commentator Database  - www.icdb.tv 
[-] The following 10 users Like Ste's post:
  • AJB39, bilky asko, bkman1990, CF1, interestednovice, matthieu1221, oscillon, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

(23-03-2023, 11:34 AM)chris Wrote:  I totally agree that the pulsating globe is very recognisable as BBC News. But that doesn’t mean it can’t change.

The risk is that brand becomes diluted with the introduction of the icon. What is the logo? The globe, the icon or simple “BBC News”? 

The icon has been on the nation’s mobile phones for more than a year. Surely they can now feel confident enough to put that front-and-centre? The whole Chameleon rebrand feels like an apology - if you’re confident in your new brand, be bold and shout about it.

The whole icon branding design language has been overtaken by the wider market - it's not stood up well as a concept and it's not even made it fully on air. 

Some blocks that represent different screen sizes or whatever was never a world class solution - its a cute minor icon in a ux design, not a key brand asset. 

They wanted BBC as a central hero brand  like Netflix,  but that's not how the public use the BBC, or how it functions itself. Do you really want BBC News to be thought of the same way as the BBC itself..Gary Lineker fuss and all?

Using the brand as one entity  on a universal BBC app, sure this works. But on a collection of complex services? Not sure its the right move: its why streaming services use high impact show logos and images to curate lots of mini show brands to help navigate content, marketing and create audince connections. Going in the opposite direction is dumb strategy-by-committee 

The BBC News assets updated so far have been  poor - becouse the wolf ollins concept is - some slidey wipes videohive style shows that a globeless band has very little room for effective design.

I'd guess the very good creative team at BBC News know the limitations,  and this workaround buys time for the BBC strategy to shift  - as things do over time.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Do we know if the the regional news will eventually get the new look at some point at all?. I was all hyped up for April 3rd
[-] The following 3 users Like Superman1986's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Slightly OT, but still related to a BBC News branded programme.

Politics Live on Monday demonstrated the dangers of live DTLs where you're not aware of what your remote guest is doing before you suddenly jump back to them . . .  Tongue
youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(23-03-2023, 01:23 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  The whole icon branding design language has been overtaken by the wider market - it's not stood up well as a concept and it's not even made it fully on air. 

Some blocks that represent different screen sizes or whatever was never a world class solution - its a cute minor icon in a ux design, not a key brand asset. 

They wanted BBC as a central hero brand  like Netflix,  but that's not how the public use the BBC, or how it functions itself. Do you really want BBC News to be thought of the same way as the BBC itself..Gary Lineker fuss and all?

Using the brand as one entity  on a universal BBC app, sure this works. But on a collection of complex services? Not sure its the right move: its why streaming services use high impact show logos and images to curate lots of mini show brands to help navigate content, marketing and create audince connections. Going in the opposite direction is dumb strategy-by-committee 

The BBC News assets updated so far have been  poor - becouse the wolf ollins concept is - some slidey wipes videohive style shows that a globeless band has very little room for effective design.

I'd guess the very good creative team at BBC News know the limitations,  and this workaround buys time for the BBC strategy to shift  - as things do over time.

The App Icon is just an app Icon.  The globe does not work for a small icon on a Phone's home screen.

I don't think anyone suggested it would replace the globe branding, or would become the core element of any future branding for BBC News in its entirety.
[-] The following 4 users Like mdta's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, interestednovice, LDN

(23-03-2023, 04:12 PM)mdta Wrote:  I don't think anyone suggested it would replace the globe branding, or would become the core element of any future branding for BBC News in its entirety.
I think it could become the core element of BBC News branding in the future if that was the route the Beeb wanted to go down. They've already used it for news-related programmes such as the 'On the Week' series that Ros Atkins did a while back, as well as some special programming (I'm quite sure it was used for the 100th anniversary of BBC News special). 

Having three very different elements that make up the BBC News brand (globe, icon, 'BBC NEWS' text) can be quite confusing. I think they'd be better off ditching either the globe or the icon down the line to simplify the brand.
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, Superman1986

(23-03-2023, 04:12 PM)mdta Wrote:  
(23-03-2023, 01:23 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  The whole icon branding design language has been overtaken by the wider market - it's not stood up well as a concept and it's not even made it fully on air. 

The App Icon is just an app Icon.  The globe does not work for a small icon on a Phone's home screen.

I don't think anyone suggested it would replace the globe branding, or would become the core element of any future branding for BBC News in its entirety.

But where has it been said that it wouldn’t? In fact Chris Cook suggested the icon would feature on screen -

twitter.com 

It feels like this has come from the same rumour that the iPlayer and Sounds icons would never hit television. Surely it would be bonkers to have a separate brand identity for your online presence to TV?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chris's post:
  • Moz

Much as I love the swirling globe, and don’t agree with change for change’s sake…

BRING ON THE BLOCKS!

It’s madness to have two identities, and so much could be done with the blocks onscreen.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 5 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, James, Stuart, Superman1986
Thread Closed