Thread Closed

Philip Schofield steps down from This Morning with immediate effect

There seems to be an unhappiness from some quarters about people talking about This Morning being axed because it puts those working in TV in a bad light.
[-] The following 3 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • Milkshake, Studio7, UTVLifer

(01-06-2023, 10:41 PM)XIII Wrote:  That's not going to happen like ever. Look at how Jeremy Vine became three different programmes to see how GMB with Lorraine and GMB Extra are not going to be reality.

Jeremy Vine became 3 different shows as Jeremy Vine wasn't hosting it half the time it was on. ** Cough cough Lorraine **

(01-06-2023, 10:41 PM)XIII Wrote:  That's not going to happen like ever. Look at how Jeremy Vine became three different programmes to see how GMB with Lorraine and GMB Extra are not going to be reality.
Are you an ITV executive? I suspect not. So how do you know what they’re going to do? Answer: you don’t.

The Jeremy Vine thing is completely different because a) he leaves halfway through to do his Radio 2 show so b) a programme named after someone who isn’t presenting it looks pretty darn stupid on a daily basis. It’s not at all relevant to what ITV might do.
[-] The following 2 users Like Studio7's post:
  • Jon, Lester

Well the main reason for that would have been to have two programmes each day in which Jeremy Vine doesn't appear. Had the programme not been named after the host in the first place they'd have probably used a brand extension of whatever it was called.

I can't see the GMB branding being extended though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Studio7, UTVLifer

tellyblues Wrote:There seems to be an unhappiness from some quarters about people talking about This Morning being axed because it puts those working in TV in a bad light.

The thing is, the tabloids, Wootton etc who are demanding This Morning to be axed

If it was axed they would immediately start running stories about all the many innocent crew members who have lost their jobs. Exclusive interviews with Freelancers who literally now have no work and no income.

Everything always leads on to the next possible angle for the papers

(01-06-2023, 10:58 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The thing is, the tabloids, Wootton etc who are demanding This Morning to be axed

If it was axed they would immediately start running stories about all the many innocent crew members who have lost their jobs. Exclusive interviews with Freelancers who literally now have no work and no income.

I do think the name ‘This Morning’ should probably go. It’s damaged goods. Not that this precludes ITV from creating a new programme that is essentially the same thing under a different banner. (Just don’t let Martin Frizzell anywhere near it!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Studio7's post:
  • UTVLifer

(01-06-2023, 10:58 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The thing is, the tabloids, Wootton etc who are demanding This Morning to be axed

There are tons of situations where people have lost their jobs because a show has been axed. For many, simply moving people on is not enough.

(01-06-2023, 10:46 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  There seems to be an unhappiness from some quarters about people talking about This Morning being axed because it puts those working in TV in a bad light.

Only people to be put in bad lights are management..

However This morning wont be axed but it really need to have a summer break.

I could be completely wrong, but I got the impression based on Channel 4's documentary about The Jeremy Kyle Show that questionable ethics are not confined to This Morning. I don't think it's uncalled for to consider the culture of ITV Daytime as a whole in this situation.

(01-06-2023, 11:05 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  I do think the name ‘This Morning’ should probably go. It’s damaged goods. Not that this precludes ITV from creating a new programme that is essentially the same thing under a different banner. (Just don’t let Martin Frizzell anywhere near it!)
As I said the other day, I don't really see why This Morning is more damaged as a brand than Newsnight was, which is probably the most comparable situation of a long-running daily TV show becoming a news story. Newsnight was able to survive and its controversy was far more serious. Ditching the brand outright just seems like a bit of an overreaction.
Thread Closed