French TV

(24-04-2023, 11:51 PM)Medianext.MX Wrote:  TV5Monde's new member Monte-Carlo Riviera TV has a new, definitive name: TVMonaco. The ad-supported state-owned channel will launch on September 1 at 19:15. Unlike Monaco Info, which operates in a shoestring budget, TVMonaco will feature a full schedule, mixing documentaries and non-fiction content (particularly focusing on royal events, lifestyle and luxury, and environmental issues) with daily local news and sports programming.

Many of the channel's shows will be available globally through TV5Monde, through an internal AVOD streaming platform, and through distribution to other channels; it plans also to produce its own scripted shows by the next two years. The channel will be headquartered on the Fontvieille Bay district, in a repurposed restaurant building.

www.monacomatin.mc  (paywall)

advanced-television.com  (free registration)

variety.com 

Mind if I ask this, but I thought that TMC was Monaco's public broadcaster, so I am surprised that they have launched a new one
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Medianext.MX

TMC has been a French channel in all but name for decades, and it’s been owned by TF1 for a while now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • giiiuls, Roger Darthwell

(25-04-2023, 01:12 PM)Rdd Wrote:  TMC has been a French channel in all but name for decades, and it’s been owned by TF1 for a while now.

Then why don't they change the channel's name? It makes no sense in calling it TMC now

I suppose the same could be said for German owned RTL.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • giiiuls, Roger Darthwell

TMC still have a weekly news programme from Monaco called Monacoscope on Sunday mornings to meet their requirements for locally based output, but is otherwise just another brand in TF1's portfolio in France.

The channel also has Swiss and Belgian versions (local ads), with the same schedule.

TF1 have history of diluting local output with TV Breizh which was initially set up in the S4C/BBC Alba/TG4 fold by broadcasting in Breton for viewers in Brittany but by 2011 was broadcasting wholly in French as a national channel largely behind a paywall.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • giiiuls, Medianext.MX, Roger Darthwell

(25-04-2023, 02:36 PM)London Lite Wrote:  TMC still have a weekly news programme from Monaco called Monacoscope on Sunday mornings to meet their requirements for locally based output, but is otherwise just another brand in TF1's portfolio in France.

The channel also has Swiss and Belgian versions (local ads), with the same schedule.

TF1 have history of diluting local output with TV Breizh which was initially set up in the S4C/BBC Alba/TG4 fold by broadcasting in Breton for viewers in Brittany but by 2011 was broadcasting wholly in French as a national channel largely behind a paywall.

Makes me wonder if this Monacoscope programme will continue to be made now......
Sorry if I ask but what exactly does TV Breizh broadcasts now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roger Darthwell's post:
  • Medianext.MX

(25-04-2023, 02:45 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(25-04-2023, 02:36 PM)London Lite Wrote:  TMC still have a weekly news programme from Monaco called Monacoscope on Sunday mornings to meet their requirements for locally based output, but is otherwise just another brand in TF1's portfolio in France.

Makes me wonder if this Monacoscope programme will continue to be made now......

Replays of mostly American TV series I believe.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(25-04-2023, 06:26 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(25-04-2023, 02:45 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Makes me wonder if this Monacoscope programme will continue to be made now......

Wow.....now that I think about it I finally realise why TF1 has kept the name TMC as well, they seem to have this weird habit of keeping names that have no longer in common with their channels

(25-04-2023, 06:26 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(25-04-2023, 02:45 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Makes me wonder if this Monacoscope programme will continue to be made now......

Alongside TF1 commissioned crime drama repeats, some are also bought in from France Télévisions and Poirot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

France Télévisions seem to have sneaked this in. France.tv VOD is now 1080p/50fps, which is now on a par with iPlayer in the UK.

The closure of Salto and the Olympics in Paris next summer seems to have give them the reason to upgrade it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell