CITV is to close

Caught CITV channel hopping earlier - good to see Looney Tunes is still great.

Promo wise everything (in the one ad break I saw) is still "on CITV" - no mention of day or time or watching on ITVX. Surprised they've not got a DOG promoting ITVX Kids.

Will be interesting to see if the other FTA kids channels benefit from it's closure. Pop punches above it's weight anyway, though has just had it's coverage on Freeview cut.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, interestednovice, LouBlu08, Roger Darthwell

Any chance CITV might continue as a FAST channel on ITVX I wonder (for a bit, maybe, to burn off some rights they don't have a further use for)?

I agree it's odd that there is nothing at all on a channel set to close next week to indicate it's going. Almost reminiscent of its (sort of!) forerunner Carlton Kids which just packed up on its last day like it was any other...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(27-08-2023, 02:45 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Any chance CITV might continue as a FAST channel on ITVX I wonder (for a bit, maybe, to burn off some rights they don't have a further use for)?
If you look at the shows that are on ITV2 from September, they look like ones they don’t necessarily have online rights for?

(27-08-2023, 02:45 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I agree it's odd that there is nothing at all on a channel set to close next week to indicate it's going. Almost reminiscent of its (sort of!) forerunner Carlton Kids which just packed up on its last day like it was any other...
Even older than that, as TCC did the same as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • what

(27-08-2023, 03:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Even older than that, as TCC did the same as well.

In fact, they even used the normal voiceover claiming they'd be back the next morning!

(27-08-2023, 03:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Even older than that, as TCC did the same as well.
(27-08-2023, 04:01 PM)what Wrote:  In fact, they even used the normal voiceover claiming they'd be back the next morning!

Carlton Kids disappeared totally and failed to acknowledge it on air; the TCC situation is muddied by the fact it didn't actually completely close then - Cable & Wireless kept it going with a locally played out version for several months.

I actually suspect that there might something similar afoot with CITV - I note the recent press release from ITV states that "the CITV broadcast channel will close in early Autumn" (my bold). Perhaps I'm reading in to things. Either way an obvious opportunity for redirection is being missed; you'd think they'd at least swap out the generic 'on CITV' trailers.

chatps.com

(27-08-2023, 02:45 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Any chance CITV might continue as a FAST channel on ITVX I wonder (for a bit, maybe, to burn off some rights they don't have a further use for)?

I agree it's odd that there is nothing at all on a channel set to close next week to indicate it's going. Almost reminiscent of its (sort of!) forerunner Carlton Kids which just packed up on its last day like it was any other...

There is a kids fast channel already on itvx
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • WhoOdyssey

(27-08-2023, 04:14 PM)Toby brown Wrote:  There is a kids fast channel already on itvx

Sure do, nothing to stop them doing another - and maybe even another Little Be one if they really wanted. Not that I'm saying this is likely.

Actually I think a non stop 'Old Skool CITV' FAST channel could be interesting; perhaps hampered by the fact they don't own an awful lot of the programming - it was disproportionately stuff from independents as well as the STV, Thames and (say it quietly) TVS archives which they don't control.

chatps.com

I know TCC continued as a feed for the Nordic channels for a couple of years after (for contractual reasons), which I think is what Cable & Wireless carried for a few months though I don't think that showed Batman, Dennis or Art Attack- the three shows they signpost as being "back tomorrow".

The website stayed up for years after the channel closed, I presume the schedule on there is the one the Nordic feed looped for 2 years:

web.archive.org 

It's a much more basic schedule with fewer programmes than was listed a couple of months earlier while the channel was still on air, especially the "bigger" shows:

web.archive.org 

I guess the Nordic feed was based around what they could get on the cheap to just be looping for 2 years until the contract expired, stuff like Sonic, Dennis, Art Attack, Batman, Felix the Cat etc. was probably too expensive for a bare bones service they probably didn't expect anyone to watch.

Edit: just spotted they had a separate schedule page for TCC Nordic, which was quite a fair bit different from the main TCC channel (including several shows that had moved to Trouble in the UK), still a lot more programmes than listed in the May 1998 (post-UK closure) schedule though.

web.archive.org 

(27-08-2023, 04:57 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Sure do, nothing to stop them doing another - and maybe even another Little Be one if they really wanted. Not that I'm saying this is likely.

Actually I think a non stop 'Old Skool CITV' FAST channel could be interesting; perhaps hampered by the fact they don't own an awful lot of the programming - it was disproportionately stuff from independents as well as the STV, Thames and (say it quietly) TVS archives which they don't control.

I'm surprised they didn't do that back in January to mark the 40th anniversary and give ITVX a bit more publicity in it's early days.