BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2023

So the bookies got it right.

Of course, we'll almost certainly never know how much of the vote Earpsy got - or any of the other nominees...

Only the seven or so minutes late finishing. Not too bad.

A deserved winner in Mary Earps. The third year in a row a woman has won (second year in a row an England football international) after fourteen years gap without one.

Not sure how much coincidence there is with there being so many from one city on at the end Big Grin
x.com 

[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • DE88

(19-12-2023, 10:19 PM)DE88 Wrote:  

So the bookies got it right.

Of course, we'll almost certainly never know how much of the vote Earpsy got - or any of the other nominees...

They used to release the exact voting figures (including number of votes) until quite recently, certainly in the years since Strictly stopped revealing 2nd or 3rd in order not to hurt anyones feelings, an argument that didn't apply to telling someone they finished 10th of 10 in SPOTY with just a couple of thousand votes.

Is that the same set they've used since being based in Salford for the last few years - looks absolutely tiny. Presumably it was in the same studio as the telethons where the set usually looks probably far bigger than it actually is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DE88

(20-12-2023, 10:08 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  They used to release the exact voting figures (including number of votes) until quite recently, certainly in the years since Strictly stopped revealing 2nd or 3rd in order not to hurt anyones feelings, an argument that didn't apply to telling someone they finished 10th of 10 in SPOTY with just a couple of thousand votes.

Is that the same set they've used since being based in Salford for the last few years - looks absolutely tiny. Presumably it was in the same studio as the telethons where the set usually looks probably far bigger than it actually is.

2017 was the last year the voting figures were released.

As I said, that year Jonnie Peacock pipped Anthony Joshua for third by just 18 votes. One *does* wonder how much this influenced the decision to stop releasing the figures (even though, of course, the official reason was to bring SPOTY in line with Strictly)...

I love this reply to Piers Morgan's reaction to Mary Earps winning

twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR, Rolling News, thePineapple, Tim G

(21-12-2023, 02:26 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I love this reply to Piers Morgan's reaction to Mary Earps winning

twitter.com 

The 'definitely-not-sexist' outrage online of the result has been rather pathetic as per normal. All the usual suspects (like above) complaining as well.

In the same vain, another favourite reply that I came across.
twitter.com 

(21-12-2023, 02:04 PM)DE88 Wrote:  2017 was the last year the voting figures were released.

As I said, that year Jonnie Peacock pipped Anthony Joshua for third by just 18 votes. One *does* wonder how much this influenced the decision to stop releasing the figures (even though, of course, the official reason was to bring SPOTY in line with Strictly)...

Definitely things like that must have influenced it. Also, it didn't look great for the BBC or the people involved to have those in the final positions get such a small support.

Looking at the results breakdown (at the bottom of this article), the top six in 2017 were all men, and the four female nominees were all right at the bottom. Especially in the middle of the long period without a female winner, that must have looked very bad.

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, DE88

P***s also gave out when the England men's team won the Team of the Year award in 2021 despite not winning the Euros (and I take it he wasn't happy about Gareth Southgate winning the Coach of the Year award either). Rolleyes

Safe to say that if social media had been around in 1990, he would have given out when Gazza won the main award despite England not winning the World Cup and Spurs not winning any trophies. And he would have given out in 1994 when Damon Hill won the award despite not winning the F1 World Championship. And in 1997 when Greg Rusedski won the award despite not winning the US Open, or any of the other Slams... Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes DE88's post:
  • RhysJR

(18-12-2023, 10:02 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  On a similar note, BBC Wales' treatment of their own Sports Personality of the Year award has gone from its own awards night (complete with TV and radio coverage of at least some kind) to pretty much an afterthought.

The winner was announced via an embargoed press release this morning.

Notably, there was no shortlist, either - and a judging panel led by Dame Tanni Grey Thompson decided the winner.

www.bbc.co.uk 

The BBC Northern Ireland award had the same treatment as the BBC Wales award, with a judging panel deciding the winner, and the award then being given ahead of time and announced on tonight's main Newsline bulletin.

www.bbc.co.uk 

The only reference of a Scottish award I can see is this rather patchy Wikipedia article, which suggests the award was discontinued after 2007. Odd that NI and Wales are up for doing their own thing, but not Scotland (who argubally is the more successful sporting nation of three nations).

en.wikipedia.org 

(23-12-2023, 12:00 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  The BBC Northern Ireland award had the same treatment as the BBC Wales award, with a judging panel deciding the winner, and the award then being given ahead of time and announced on tonight's main Newsline bulletin.

www.bbc.co.uk 

The only reference of a Scottish award I can see is this rather patchy Wikipedia article, which suggests the award was discontinued after 2007. Odd that NI and Wales are up for doing their own thing, but not Scotland (who argubally is the more successful sporting nation of three nations).

en.wikipedia.org 

Didn't all the BBC Nations and Regions have their own SPOTY around the early-mid noughties? Seems like the English regions' SPOTY went by the wayside the same time as the Scottish one (with the BBC probably cited the old chestnut as "budget cuts").

Some regions did but I don't think it was across the board. There certainly wasn't a proper slot in the schedule for them so we got treated too some lovely shoddy pres from Manchester as they timeshifted everything.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales, RhysJR