Christmas TV

Mine was a lot more linear than Christmas Day 2022 where I did VOD all day until Call the Midwife, EE and Mrs Brown's Boys on BBC One.

2023 was a mix of Sky Showcase for The Simpsons Christmas Episodes, King's Speech and Toy Story 4 on BBC One, Sky Crime or Replay (I can't remember which for Road Wars), Dad's Army and Morecambe & Wise Xmas Special 1971 on BBC Two, My Family on W which was technically VOD as I used the restart feature on Sky Stream which gave me a commercial free version. Then Call the Midwife, EE and MBB on BBC One, then Father Ted on More 4.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Brekkie

(27-12-2023, 01:24 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Biggest disappointment if you can class it as Christmas TV would be the Chicken Run sequel- just none of the charm of the original. Will next years Wallace and Gromit be the first without Peter Sallis?

Looks like it. Ben Whitehead, Wallace's replacement voice actor, did some lines for A Matter of Loaf and Death, but it was mostly Sallis. The projects since then have all been Shaun the Sheep related, which Wallace and Gromit don't appear in, or entirely unrelated to the W&G franchise (i.e. Chicken Run 2). So this'll be the first proper W&G film without Sallis - though of course there was those DFS adverts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Brekkie

Haven't watched any Christmas TV because it doesn't interest me and getting into shows involves going back through multiple series which is too time-consuming.

(27-12-2023, 05:26 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Haven't watched any Christmas TV because it doesn't interest me and getting into shows involves going back through multiple series which is too time-consuming.

Does it?
For long running stuff like the soaps, yes okay. But I saw the Christmas special of Not Going Out, having not really followed this since the reboot/relaunch. I didn't think I was missing anything by not having seen however many episodes of the show had gone out before the Christmas special, although I didn't have a clue who half these characters on my screen were but that's beside the point...
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • Brekkie, Transmission

I wasn't speculating about binging through every current show, just the few that interest me but even that is too time-consuming. If you have the time to do it, fair enough. I don't.

Have the official 7-day consolidated Christmas Day ratings been reported anywhere - should have been out this week but I can't seem to find them.

(05-01-2024, 10:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have the official 7-day consolidated Christmas Day ratings been reported anywhere - should have been out this week but I can't seem to find them.

Next Monday or Tuesday should be when they're reported.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Happy2001's post:
  • Brekkie

I have seen on the YouTube comments section the usual anti Doctor Who crowd claiming this 2023 Christmas special was the "lowest ever rating" for a Doctor Who Christmas Special - totally taking the figures and using them for their own narrative - forgetting to mention in the overnight figures, Doctor Who was the third highest rated show on the night, and it also beat all three soaps and Call the Midwife in the overnights.

So with the consolidated figures in, it will be interesting to see how they do with the 7 day figure of the special.

It seems some want Doctor Who to crash and burn, and when it does achieve respectable figures, 4.7 million overnight is a very good figure for 2023, they simply can't handle the fact it did well, and have to go into a BS mode to trash the show - I don't understand that mentality.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • Nige, Reith85, Strange

Christmas Day 2023 - Official Ratings - Top 10

1. Call the Midwife (BBC One) - 7.66m
2. Doctor Who (BBC One) - 7.49m
3. The King (BBC One) - 6.75m
4. Ghosts (BBC One) - 6.62m
5. Strictly Come Dancing (BBC One) - 6.60m
6. EastEnders (BBC One) - 5.45m
7. Michael McIntyre's The Wheel (BBC One) - 5.10m
8. Film: Tabby McTat (BBC One) - 4.89m
9. The 1% Club (ITV1) - 4.78m
10. Coronation Street (ITV1) - 4.51m

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Strange's post:
  • AJB39, Happy2001

Some consolidated ratings are starting to be published. Call The Midwife is the most watched programme from Christmas Day, narrowly edging out Doctor Who. Both around 7.5 million.

www.tvzoneuk.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, JMT1985, Stuart