BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

I am perhaps missing something quite obvious here, but I don't see anything innovative or radically different in this service.

All of these are currently available without subscription elsewhere. Even the EPG UI looks somewhat uninspiring. I see no bells and whistles to entice me.

I think that's the point though - it's just Freeview via streaming instead. The Sky Glass EPG isn't hugely different to SkyQ.

(07-02-2024, 07:16 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think that's the point though - it's just Freeview via streaming instead. The Sky Glass EPG isn't hugely different to SkyQ.

I think the main appeal it will have for me is 1080p 50fps as standard, that's the main pull I have to Sky Stream, along with no aerial... I'd probably cancel that if it came up with a STB that does it. Not a big enough advantage to buying a new telly though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Lester's post:
  • chrisdafur, interestednovice, WillPS

Great to see Vestel are on board, they are essentially the manufacturer of every budget TV available one way or another. Be interesting to see how all-in with it they are - whether they push it to all their brands across the board or whether it's just an option - i.e. Argos decide they want to offer a couple so there's a couple of Bush branded models, but the default remains Freeview Play.

STB next, please. All the better if it's a DVR...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

It would be nice if an external device manufacturer such as Manhattan were added as a Freely partner.

Their forthcoming T4-R has been delayed several months, apparently due to difficulty in getting Freeview Play certification (according to replies on their twitter). Their existing T3-R has been a very good device, apart from the lack of 'non-Freeview' apps beyond YouTube and Britbox (i.e. no Netflix or Prime). Ref: manhattan-tv.com 

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • interestednovice

Was always inevitable more brands would be added and I'd be surprised of set top boxes won't follow. Unless I'm reading it wrong seems they'll be the option of a Freeview hybrid device.

Interesting stuff.

On the channel side who hasn't signed up get. Every smaller channel ? I.e who isn't BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, UKTV(probably). So not yet Sky, Shopping Channels , Talking Pictures. Or have any of these come on board?

Also, have we heard if Freely will support radio stations in its guide?

Praying for there to be an Apple TV app one day soon. I’m currently hoping between different apps to watch live TV so it would be really nice to have it all in one app.

I’m guessing though an app would be one of the last implementations of Freely after it has launched on TV’s and set top boxes.
[-] The following 3 users Like brioalex's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, orange, UTVLifer

(08-02-2024, 08:56 PM)brioalex Wrote:  Praying for there to be an Apple TV app one day soon. I’m currently hoping between different apps to watch live TV so it would be really nice to have it all in one app.

I’m guessing though an app would be one of the last implementations of Freely after it has launched on TV’s and set top boxes.

I would like the same but I don't see it, unfortunately. It'll be interesting to see how protected the Freely streams will be, I'd imagine people will be trying to find ways in if they can (likely not app store listed Apple TV apps tho).

Will each broadcaster be responsible for serving their own streams, or will Everyone TV be doing that part?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(10-02-2024, 02:22 AM)WillPS Wrote:  I would like the same but I don't see it, unfortunately. It'll be interesting to see how protected the Freely streams will be, I'd imagine people will be trying to find ways in if they can (likely not app store listed Apple TV apps tho).

Will each broadcaster be responsible for serving their own streams, or will Everyone TV be doing that part?

I'd imagine if they were to eventually launch on streaming devices, Apple TV would likely be the main one of interest. In the same way Sky have made Sky Go available on the ATV, its closed platform would mean its way more difficult for anyone to read the app's code and extract the streaming URLs. Any Android TV based platform would be unappealing. If Amazon are really moving away from FireOS on their future firesticks to VegaOS, maybe this will make them more confident in making the app available on those devices.