Absolute Radio to switch off all AM transmitters across the UK

(18-02-2024, 10:33 AM)i.h Wrote:  Given the BBC often pleads poverty it probably wouldn't be a good look to keep it running for the benefit of the privatised energy industry - It would make sense for that sector to cover the running costs for the extended period, whether the BBC feeds audio to it or not.

As official confirmation that *something* is going to continue - the ENA website says March 2025 also www.energynetworks.org 
That is true, but don't think the BBC provides the service to the electricity companies for free (in fact as the main running cost if presumably the electricity it uses maybe they should be providing it for free?)

The Radio 4 LW programmes are still ending and AIUI the MW fillers are being turned off at some point. Without the different programming there's little point in them

(18-02-2024, 10:33 AM)i.h Wrote:  I suppose the question is whether the BBC is going to continue to feed the transmitter. Wasn't it France where an LW transmitter played a similar role, but just carried silence once the broadcaster washed its hands of it.

Given the BBC often pleads poverty it probably wouldn't be a good look to keep it running for the benefit of the privatised energy industry - It would make sense for that sector to cover the running costs for the extended period, whether the BBC feeds audio to it or not.

As official confirmation that *something* is going to continue - the ENA website says March 2025 also www.energynetworks.org 

The old France Inter frequency of 162kHz LW still has a carrier on it, to control radio controlled clocks. France Inter left 162kHz in 2017 I believe…… the transmitter is now called ALS162.

Following the removal of their stations from satellite and cable, Bauer are now removing them from Freeview too…

radiotoday.co.uk 

I guess with less than 4% of digital listening being via TV, it makes sense.

(12-03-2024, 11:19 AM)Spencer Wrote:  Following the removal of their stations from satellite and cable, Bauer are now removing them from Freeview too…

radiotoday.co.uk 

I guess with less than 4% of digital listening being via TV, it makes sense.
A claim from that article is that...
Quote:Any smart TV owners will be able to continue to access all Bauer radio stations by selecting them on the Radioplayer app.

I don't recall seeing the Radioplayer app on Freeview Play. If this app was added to Freeview Play then it would be a fair replacement to the separate Freeview channels, as without it the quoted claim is rather false.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(12-03-2024, 11:35 AM)Keith Wrote:  A claim from that article is that...

I don't recall seeing the Radioplayer app on Freeview Play. If this app was added to Freeview Play then it would be a fair replacement to the separate Freeview channels, as without it the quoted claim is rather false.

Indeed, the only audio app on Freeview Play is BBC Sounds.

I guess once Rayo has launched there will be an app and people can listen via that.

Any one else think Bauer Radio are cleaning up? Possibly getting ready for a sale?
The future of Radio is rocky and will change over the next 10 years. Bauer don't have may podcasts compared to BBC Sounds and Global Player. Bauer Radio is in it's strongest place at the moment with 3.6m difference in reach it could overtake Global. So at the moment it's likely to be the most valuable it's ever been. If your going to sell the moment is now. One to watch I think.

Also Global new boss is an interesting choice to. One to watch there as well.

Certainly with the change of management in the radio division, we're finally starting to see some action with the rebrands of the more successful heritage brands. A year ago, you wouldn't have seen Wave 105 being converted to GHR considering their market leading share in the south.

But there's clearly still some trimming of the meat with the closure of Wave/Pirate FM, while the legacy stations especially in the north of England finally get rebranded to Hits while keeping local breakfast.

One thing I've noticed is that also GHR South Coast is keeping the breakfast show from Wave which has to be a prime earner for revenue.

While they're finally doing what Global did by stealth 14 years ago, they're still not there yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AndrewP, lookoutwales, SpacewardAsh

Closure notices have popped up on the Freeview streams.

x.com 

(13-03-2024, 11:02 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Closure notices have popped up on the Freeview streams.

x.com 

As one of the replies says, it has QR code written all over it (assuming an image of good enough resolution is possible).

That URL is ridiculous, I’m sure literally nobody is going to type it in manually.
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • IanJRedman, Spencer

(14-03-2024, 02:06 AM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  As one of the replies says, it has QR code written all over it (assuming an image of good enough resolution is possible).

That URL is ridiculous, I’m sure literally nobody is going to type it in manually.

Gee, you'd think they'd want people to continue listening to their stations. Specifying digital radio rather than just radio would help too (I know it's unlikely an OAP is listening to Kiss but presumably it's the same message on the other stations).

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]