BBC/ITV North West News

(18-03-2024, 12:22 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I always thought breakfast looked much better when they came from the sports studio during the 2016 olympics. Why did they never share the sport studio from the off?
I think that the breakfast studio is BBC. But the sports studio is Dock 10 …..

(18-03-2024, 12:48 PM)Technologist Wrote:  I think that the breakfast studio is BBC. But the sports studio is Dock 10 …..

No the sports news studio is in the same building as NWT.

(18-03-2024, 12:22 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  It didn’t help that the London set was much bigger and the move was described as last minute as when you saw the studio and compared it to the space sport had it felt like they decided to move breakfast but didn’t know what to do with it so just dumped it in NWT set.

I always thought breakfast looked much better when they came from the sports studio during the 2016 olympics. Why did they never share the sport studio from the off?
Completely agree - suspect internal politics outranked common sense although of course all these years later they're now sharing a space and the quetion now is somewhat reversed - why does BBC Sport get to share the Breakfast studio rather than NWT when really the temporary studio Sportsday had before the move was sufficient for it's purpose.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DJ Dave, JexedBack, Nige, UTVLifer

8 weeks Roger said they are in the temp studio for, I actually think it looks nice. I was never a fan of the old studio and yes Granada's is so much better.

Watched back on iPlayer and quite a lot of teething problems with sound and jumping to London early. I assume then they’re in a temp gallery too?

Does the job for an interim period.

(18-03-2024, 09:05 PM)chris Wrote:  I assume then they’re in a temp gallery too?

I think they’re using the short bulletin / breakfast opt gallery effectively in the newsroom to do the whole programme so yes, a tricky place to do a whole programme from I would guess!

Kay’s TikTok has some interesting behind the scenes shots - the rip out of the old set underway and it seems to include taking it right back to the office space!

(18-03-2024, 09:19 PM)steve Wrote:  Kay’s TikTok has some interesting behind the scenes shots - the rip out of the old set underway and it seems to include taking it right back to the office space!

I think they would always have to do this, it's no secret that behind the set dressings and a black cyc it is just a strange corner office.

They may well have opened the cyc up to give more light while they work dismantling what's there.

I do think their version of the new set is going to struggle just because of the low ceiling height and the strange shape of the studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • UTVLifer

(18-03-2024, 12:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It was a pretty awful set from the moment it was installed.

I’m not sure there have ever been many fans of the outgoing set, so I was surprised to see Chris Cook say on Twitter the other day that ‘it’s testament to the great design of the set that it lasted so long…’ Surely it’s more a testament to how squeezed budgets have been over the past decade that they never bothered to replace it! As for why the design is so naff (and matches neither the 2008-2013 look nor the 2013 onwards looks), I guess we’ll never know.
[-] The following 7 users Like Critique's post:
  • Brekkie, DTV, JJJJ, LDN, Spencer, Stuart, UTVLifer

I always thought it was a good set by regional news standards, but a poor set for a national flagship breakfast programme.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • House, Jayesyn

(18-03-2024, 11:31 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I always thought it was a good set by regional news standards, but a poor set for a national flagship breakfast programme.
Better bespoke set designs were used elsewhere for regional news. (You know I mean the city I live in. Angel )

Of course, the 'travelling set' looks good today in Salford as it's being broadcast in native HD.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • lookoutwales, UTVLifer