The Media Question Amnesty Thread

(16-01-2024, 03:36 AM)XIII Wrote:  When a drama films in say Ireland as a substitute for an English city or town, it's usually hard to tell the difference, when they film abroad it's a lot easier to spot although the Channel 5 drama For Her Sins was filmed in Malta and it was pretty good stand in.

The Budapest filmed series on Channel Five are very noticeable just by the building styles.

For Her Sins had some England based location filming as well which helped mask it as well. (Unless Malta has areas that look nothing like the rest of the Island but I don’t think it does.)

Who plays out local ads on channels which use this, also how are they played out?

I’ve seen an ad for a local taxi company pop up on various channels (including MTV 90s) so what would be seen in an area where local ads aren’t a thing?

(20-03-2024, 07:23 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  Who plays out local ads on channels which use this, also how are they played out?

I’ve seen an ad for a local taxi company pop up on various channels (including MTV 90s) so what would be seen in an area where local ads aren’t a thing?

Sky AdSmart most likely, which basically inserts more suitable advertising based on your location, and possibly other data. They’ve been doing this for quite some time now. Unfortunately I’m not the one to detail on the ins and outs of how it works.

Same principles also apply when listening to radio via apps such Global Player. I recall listening to LBC and hearing an advert for Meerkat Meals which listed a pub down the road from me. It’s all done online, not over linear.

AdSmart also works on Sky Stream/Glass as well. I've watched ads from the local council who wouldn't be able to justify paying for national linear coverage, but it works great using AdSmart.

I've seen it as well on MTV channels in the past, watching on Virgin, so they must have some similar system, advertising a local timber merchant and a gym chain that only operates in this area, so wouldn't be advertising nationally (in fact, the former would be too local to even advertise though an ITV sub-region, but the latter has advertised on ITV). Haven't seen it for a while though.

Adsmart works on Virgin as well apparently, and MTV is listed as an AdSmart capable channel.
www.adsmartfromsky.co.uk 

On the Sky boxes it works from the hard drive as its all pre-downloaded and done that way, but I don't really know how it works on Glass, Stream and Virgin, though I suppose since they're feeds to those services, something somewhere must insert new video somewhere down the line.

That's an out of date channel list there! Several channels that either no longer exist or have changed names.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • insert_good_username_here

(20-03-2024, 08:19 PM)James2001 Wrote:  That's an out of date channel list there! Several channels that either no longer exist or have changed names.

I only linked it, I didn't design it. Wink

(20-03-2024, 07:31 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Same principles also apply when listening to radio via apps such Global Player. I recall listening to LBC and hearing an advert for Meerkat Meals which listed a pub down the road from me. It’s all done online, not over linear.

I've had the same when listening to LBC News. They'll play an ID into the break, but the end will be cut off by a localised ad being inserted. Not long after noticing it, I switched to listening via RadioFeeds instead because it would subtly wind me up every time!

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

(20-03-2024, 10:56 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  I've had the same when listening to LBC News. They'll play an ID into the break, but the end will be cut off by a localised ad being inserted. Not long after noticing it, I switched to listening via RadioFeeds instead because it would subtly wind me up every time!
It's the same with some podcasts, even those that aren't from a big UK producer. I think they're done by aCast, there's a distinctive 2 note jingle before and after the breaks. I remember hearing adverts for a University near me on the American podcast Skeptoid. The clever thing is it seems to do it even if it is downloaded, the ad is inserted into the file on the fly

Global use it a lot for podcasts in Global Player and via third party apps. I was listening to one at work and got ads for TfL despite not being in London as the company Internet connection is there. Rewound the podcast and listened via 4G and advert for a local car showroom. It's all very clever stuff
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • London Lite