Thread Closed

ITV News: Rageh Omaar Unwell

I don’t watch news at ten often, I rarely post on here, but Rageh seems to have stumbled his way through the last fifteen minutes of the broadcast.

Rageh didn't seem well at all throughout the entire programme. From the first report he was stumbling and slurring his words. It's prompted a lot of concern on social media. I really hope he's okay.

Hope he is ok and hope he is looked after tonight. First thing to think about is a duty of care and to send my best wishes. A miracle he got through that whole thing.
[-] The following 9 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, chevron, iloveTV1, Omnipresent, SB678, UTVLifer

ITV1+1 is currently showing the "temporarily unable to bring you our +1 service" slate, abruptly interrupting the programme mid-report. You can see a sliver of the programme to the right of the skate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • UTVLifer

I'm not a regular ITV NaT viewer, but I've seen some clips on social media and they are very difficult to watch. Seems he was struggling from the very first link. I hope he is okay and wish him all the best.

Obviously situations like this are unprecedented, but I'm surprised there aren't contingency plans in place, such as switching to a reporter (e.g. Chris Ship, who was in the studio) or the London regional presenter.
[-] The following 5 users Like James's post:
  • bkman1990, DavidV, mouseboy33, SB678, Scratch_Perry

(26-04-2024, 11:12 PM)James Wrote:  I'm not a regular ITV NaT viewer, but I've seen some clips on social media and they are very difficult to watch. Seems he was struggling from the very first link. I hope he is okay and wish him all the best.

Obviously situations like this are unprecedented, but I'm surprised there aren't contingency plans in place, such as switching to a reporter (e.g. Chris Ship, who was in the studio) or the London regional presenter.

Not unprecedented outside of ITV, as famously Anna Ford swapped with Sophie Raworth on the One O'Clock News mid-bulletin on one edition, back in 2005 or so
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • DavidV, James

I hope he is okay, I had a colleague who had a TIA in a meeting and it was similar, the difference being is we were able to interject and end the meeting.

I suppose given the setup at GIR if this was a medical emergency in the sense of paramedics needing to treat someone in situ, that throwing to the London presenter may not be the best outcome but why not throw to an ad break or even a slide after a package for time to come up with a solution.

But it may even be that he didn't recognise it was an issue, as was the case with my colleague.
[-] The following 7 users Like Mike's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, DavidV, James, RhysJR, SB678

It's since been deleted and I don't know what it said, but apparently Chris Ship tweeted and made reference to ambulances being called.

Makes you wonder why they didn't take steps to take him off air if he was clearly struggling and ill rather than leaving him to do the whole bulletin- half an hour is a long time.

(26-04-2024, 11:32 PM)Mike Wrote:  I hope he is okay, I had a colleague who had a TIA in a meeting and it was similar, the difference being is we were able to interject and end the meeting.

I suppose given the setup at GIR if this was a medical emergency in the sense of paramedics needing to treat someone in situ, that throwing to the London presenter may not be the best outcome but why not throw to an ad break or even a slide after a package for time to come up with a solution.

But it may even be that he didn't recognise it was an issue, as was the case with my colleague.

Amazing that none of the usual tabloids have jumped on this yet and I’m quite disappointed ITV press office haven’t issued some kind of holding statement. It was a really unsettling watch. I spent some time looking online for answers rather than speculation. One positive note in this era of negativity. The hundreds of posts online are almost exclusively from people genuinely worried and sending their best wishes. Let’s hope he is okay and it was just a migraine issue. Chris Ship should have been brought in to cover, but we obviously have no idea yet what was going on behind the scenes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Globaltraffic24's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie
Thread Closed