BBC/ITV North West News

As has been mentioned numerous times before, having consistency between regions makes considerable cost savings and efficiencies...

Consistent training for staff, consistent graphic templates and designs which can be shared across regional hubs, consistent set up for operation in the gallery (especially once every region's gallery is updated), general consistent cost as the kit is identical each time, consistent in terms of long-term maintenance... plus much more.

The regions are already having to put out the same quantity of output but with much less (both in terms of money and staff). Further efficiencies are coming so whilst it would be nice for pres fans to have numerous different sets designs and tweaks.... the funds (and staff!) are simply not there these days. Every region will have fewer people getting the show to air... fewer camera crew, fewer gallery staff, fewer people available to design graphics in a short turnaround. Sharing expertise and resource across each region is going to be more and more important as the cuts continue to hit.

As these sets consist of approximately 90% video wall, it will also mean that if branding is changed, it's quick and simple to implement to every region very quickly. Quite a bit of money has been spent with the LED (it could have been vastly reduced) but this was to ensure that all regions are future proofed for many years to come.

Was quite surprised how much space is free either side. I wonder if there's room for a Newsround set? Or if Newsround may also end up in there?
[-] The following 6 users Like Earlie37's post:
  • harshy, interestednovice, Pompeytv, Spencer, Stuart, UTVLifer

(20-05-2024, 10:11 PM)Stuart Wrote:  It's known as a 'corporate image'. Banks don't have different signage at their branches, any more than BBC regional news programmes want to have different persona for their viewers.

People actually travel around for business purposes or on breaks in the UK, so they would view different regional programmes. I guess it's good to see something familiar.

I don’t think every branch of NatWest has the same dimensions and identical layout….

The brand is the signature elements of BBC News - red, globe, pips - not a 5x3 meter box. Are you suggesting someone watching the News Channel thinks it’s a different product because the desk is round and there’s no red sofa?

(20-05-2024, 10:22 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  As has been mentioned numerous times before, having consistency between regions makes considerable cost savings and efficiencies...

Consistent training for staff, consistent graphic templates and designs which can be shared across regional hubs, consistent set up for operation in the gallery (especially once every region's gallery is updated), general consistent cost as the kit is identical each time, consistent in terms of long-term maintenance... plus much more.

The regions are already having to put out the same quantity of output but with much less (both in terms of money and staff). Further efficiencies are coming so whilst it would be nice for pres fans to have numerous different sets designs and tweaks.... the funds (and staff!) are simply not there these days. Every region will have fewer people getting the show to air... fewer camera crew, fewer gallery staff, fewer people available to design graphics in a short turnaround. Sharing expertise and resource across each region is going to be more and more important as the cuts continue to hit.

As these sets consist of approximately 90% video wall, it will also mean that if branding is changed, it's quick and simple to implement to every region very quickly. Quite a bit of money has been spent with the LED (it could have been vastly reduced) but this was to ensure that all regions are future proofed for many years to come.

I’m not saying every set should be a totally different design and I’m also not naïve to cost cutting - as someone who works in TV production and facing squeezed budgets - but I’m not convinced allowing the sets use the most of their space would vastly impact templates and maintenance.

In fact, it’s been done - Scotland and Northern Ireland have different sized and designed versions of the set. It’s a shame regions with larger spaces aren’t given opportunity to use it.

Final point from me - why have some of these sets got static imagery? It was very obvious on the late bulletin where the water doesn’t move.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • interestednovice, Rxtx

Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are nations so have far more staff working on their programs. Having the same set as a template across all regions means that sharing of work can happen easily.

These Sets, although Small, seem to be very versatile in what they can do. Why should somebody in Nottingham have less than somebody in Leeds due to the size of their studio space? It’s the same program just in a different part of the country.

Therefore should have the same look to keep brand consistency. Your chips will taste the same from a McDonald’s in Edinburgh as they do from a McDonald’s in Scarborough.
[-] The following 6 users Like Tvtrombome's post:
  • AaronLancs, chaose, Earlie37, Jayesyn, Pompeytv, UTVLifer

For regions that have bigger studios, do the sets need to be any larger than the new style ones? Each region is now single headed, and the new sets have multiple presenting positions. What would be gained by having a larger set in some regions?
[-] The following 2 users Like Phil's post:
  • Brekkie, Spencer

(20-05-2024, 10:22 PM)Earlie37 Wrote:  Was quite surprised how much space is free either side. I wonder if there's room for a Newsround set? Or if Newsround may also end up in there?

Wouldn't redressing the NWT set with NR graphics be more likely?
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

Potentially, and it has been done in the past I believe, but would the turnaround between the end of Newsround at around :54 and the :58 Breakfast opt be too tight? If they intend to keep the "temporary" studio as a permanent position then there's no reason why that couldn't be implemented for either NWT or Newsround.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • interestednovice

(20-05-2024, 10:00 PM)steve Wrote:  But why should they NOT all look the same? Who watches Look East and Look North?

But on the other hand there is an overlap between Look East and Look North patches so scope to share certain reports. If the originating reason creates a graphic sequence for the tower or studio screens to introduce it the other region can use it as-is

Could a second ‘opt’ set not be created in the space next to the main?

It shouldn’t be an issue to transfer between the NR and Breakfast opt though; they load Studio B’s London graphics whilst on air!
[-] The following 2 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • interestednovice, Josh

This is the supercut for the new set debut last night.
www.youtube.com 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 5 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Moz, Stuart, UTVLifer

The Breakfast bulletins were back in the temporary studio this morning...
[-] The following 2 users Like harryb's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice