BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(02-06-2024, 10:44 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I meant Wales & NI, yes.

Of course, BBC Two Scotland not existing is the problem here - and why I don’t expect them to publicise BBC Two at all.

Back in 2010, the debates were widely viewed as being key to the Lib Dems doing so well in the election, as it gave an opportunity for Nick Clegg to introduce himself to the non-politics-following public. I think the impact of the debates probably has the potential to be quite large at any given election, personally.

Important to note that the Lib Dem’s votes share on the day was up only 1% and they actually lost 5 seats in the 2010 election. The debate did give them an initial bump in opinion polls, but it’s doubtful that it really made the difference to Nick Clegg ending up in coalition government.

That’s not to say the debates can’t make a difference, but I suspect it’s pretty limited.
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice

(02-06-2024, 10:44 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Of course, BBC Two Scotland not existing is the problem here - and why I don’t expect them to publicise BBC Two at all.
It's not really a problem. The programmes in the nations will only be promoted in those nations and they'll also be able to point viewers towards BBC2/News Channel for the network coverage.

Those of us in England need not know nor care what the nations are showing. That's why they have their own presentation and continuity
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice, Nobby

(02-06-2024, 05:37 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I suspect the debates are something the media and political circles get very excited about but the general public not so much. I think it's an election where most have already made their decision.

The head to heads will do well but I think we're in for low ratings for the rest of them.
[-] The following 5 users Like XIII's post:
  • AndrewP, Jeff, LargelyALurker, Stuart, UTVLifer

(03-06-2024, 07:53 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's not really a problem. The programmes in the nations will only be promoted in those nations and they'll also be able to point viewers towards BBC2/News Channel for the network coverage.

Those of us in England need not know nor care what the nations are showing. That's why they have their own presentation and continuity

Which goes back to the point that if it's on the NC why do they need to put it on BBC Two in NI and Wales, instead of the network BBC Two programmes as an election-free alternative?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • interestednovice

Neither Sunak or Starmer will be attending the BBC's 7-party debate on Friday

Just been announced that Conservatives will be sending Penny Mordaunt whilst The Telegraph revealed last night within an hour of the debate being announced that Starmer won't be going, Labour yet to announce who they'll be sending.

(03-06-2024, 03:18 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Neither Sunak or Starmer will be attending the BBC's 7-party debate on Friday

Just been announced that Conservatives will be sending Penny Mordaunt whilst The Telegraph revealed last night within an hour of the debate being announced that Starmer won't be going, Labour yet to announce who they'll be sending.

That's going to rate low without the two leaders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Stuart

You are screwed if you want to listen to the reform speech right now, Skys feed is over LiveU and is cutting out, the BBCs is great, but its muted and the host is speaking over it.
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, UTVLifer

The BBC debate is now shaping up to be the battle of the substitutes, with Angela Rayner taking Starmer's place and Lib Dem deputy leader Daisy Cooper set to attend in place of Ed Davey

Presumably Farage and John Swinney will turn up though

www.thenational.scot 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • interestednovice

(03-06-2024, 01:47 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Which goes back to the point that if it's on the NC why do they need to put it on BBC Two in NI and Wales, instead of the network BBC Two programmes as an election-free alternative?
True, the only reason is that it makes it more prominent on the EPG. I don't know how long they intend the nations programmes to last and how long the BBC2 simulcast will be for. Will the viewers in Wales and NI miss much on BBC2?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • interestednovice

The last 15 minutes of Sky News has been fantastic, I highly recommend rewinding. Great graphics going over the latest YouGov poll, and a bonus Grant Shapps calling Sam Coates live on air but then hung up when he found out he was live on TV.
[-] The following 6 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AndrewP, Daveuk, interestednovice, Jeff, Nobby, UTVLifer