UKTV to become 'U'

(03-06-2024, 09:13 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Does the concept of walking in to branch of Tesco to visit a Tesco Pharmacy confuse you?

You might argue with some merit that it's a little clumsy, but I don't think anyone is confused.

Surely you mean walking into a Tesco to visit a Tesco.
[-] The following 4 users Like SlugTV's post:
  • chaose, Ma76, Stuart, VMPhil

If I'm referencing Channel 4's VOD service, I just call it the Channel 4 app. Simples.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Ma76, thomalex

(03-06-2024, 10:04 PM)SlugTV Wrote:  Surely you mean walking into a Tesco to visit a Tesco.

That's the 'Channel 4 on Channel 4' analogue, yes.

The example Stuart gave as "confusing" was 'More4/E4/Film4 on Channel 4'.

My contention is that I don't think any of these statements are confusing, they're just deliberately poorly worded.

The statement "I did my shopping at Tesco" is complete, regardless of the Tesco outlet used or the specific services within that were used; same goes for "I got my prescription at Tesco", even though one implies a service that can only be had at a Tesco Pharmacy.

Channel 4's desire is that the "I saw it on Channel 4" statement is similarly complete, regardless of the Channel 4 outlet/service used. Same again for "I saw a report on the news on Channel 4", even though again that implies a specific outlet/service.

To bring this back on topic, the desire is exactly the same for U[KTV] and that bit makes sense. Unfortunately the brand they're hitching their hopes to is unknown, vague and pretty obviously flawed, unlike Channel 4.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

Ironically, Dave is probably a stronger brand than UKTV as a whole these days. If you were to rename the streaming service 'Dave+' or 'DavePlay' then, while it might not be a particularly good rebrand at all, it's a darn sight better than the ungoogleable 'U'.

Diminishing the existing brands with an extraneous 'U&', then making that the new umbrella... it's pretty desperate.

Dave
DaveYesterday
DaveReality
DaveDrama
DaveAlibi
DaveGold
DaveNature

Hmm 🤔
[-] The following 11 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, arbrax, chaose, giiiuls, Happy2001, London Lite, Ma76, MorganLamia, RhysJR, Stuart

(05-06-2024, 04:51 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Dave
DaveYesterday
DaveReality
DaveDrama
DaveAlibi
DaveGold
DaveNature

Hmm 🤔

Can't believe you didn't use Yesterdave...

There's a Broadcast article about the rebrand, nothing new in it but it does talk about a series as airing on both "W and U" which is a fantastically early confusion of this horrible brand.
[-] The following 8 users Like gottago's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, LargelyALurker, London Lite, Ma76, Stuart, TVFan

(06-06-2024, 09:31 AM)gottago Wrote:  There's a Broadcast article about the rebrand, nothing new in it but it does talk about a series as airing on both "W and U" which is a fantastically early confusion of this horrible brand.

Would that be U&W & U or just U & W which we'll call W & U to avoid confusion?
[-] The following 5 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • AndrewP, LargelyALurker, Ma76, Spencer, Stuart

(06-06-2024, 12:00 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Would that be U&W & U or just U & W which we'll call W & U to avoid confusion?
Whichever, both still sound like a store on a retail park. Confused

It sounds to me like a B&Q rip off. “These garden strimmers, only £29.99, hurry while stocks last, only at U&W”.

We now have a worse channel name than Quest Red, which someone once actually asked me if it was an adult channel.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 5 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, Ma76, Stuart