BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(04-06-2024, 01:38 PM)Newshound Wrote:  I’m a great admirer of Jo Coburn who does such a great job each day on Politics Live. It is always great viewing. I don’t understand why she isn’t given a role on Election Night. Any thoughts?

It's interesting that she hasn't really been mentioned in much of the proposed coverage at all (certainly that I've seen), despite Politics Live going 5 days a week
[-] The following 1 user Likes BN88's post:
  • interestednovice

I always think there are too many TV debates in the UK compared to other countries. Canada only has four debates for example.

Half surprised that tonight's ITV debate doesn't have a big 'LIVE' in the top right, given that ITV seemingly religiously use it on lots of their programmes.

Can't help to think that Julie could do with a button on her podium to cut the leader's mics after they've been told to stop. Good that they are clarifying when policy areas are devolved.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, GMc, interestednovice, Stuart, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(04-06-2024, 09:11 PM)Keith Wrote:  Half surprised that tonight's ITV debate doesn't have a big 'LIVE' in the top right, given that ITV seemingly religiously use it on lots of their programmes.

Can't help to think that Julie could do with a button on her podium to cut the leader's mics after they've been told to stop. Good that they are clarifying when policy areas are devolved.

Probably because it’s not quite live, it might be on a delay in case any security breaches occur in the studio

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 4 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, interestednovice, UTVLifer

The 45 second thing isn't working. It's nowhere near long enough to allow either of them to develop any points beyond soundbites. The BBC debate needs to be at least 2 mins.

(04-06-2024, 09:11 PM)Keith Wrote:  Can't help to think that Julie could do with a button on her podium to cut the leader's mics after they've been told to stop. Good that they are clarifying when policy areas are devolved.

Yes wondered this myself, but they wouldn’t be listening to her as they’re still talking I guess. So makes it very messy to move forward
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • interestednovice, UTVLifer

It's a terrible debate and chaired really badly. Not enough time to respond to anything.
[-] The following 10 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GeekyJames, GMc, interestednovice, Jeff, Reith85, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(04-06-2024, 09:25 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  The 45 second thing isn't working. It's nowhere near long enough to allow either of them to develop any points beyond soundbites. The BBC debate needs to be at least 2 mins.

It’s almost like a parody of a debate to only allow 45 seconds. As soon as either leader starts to develop a point, Julie is trying to cut them off.

2 minutes would be better, I agree.
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, GeekyJames, TIGHazard, UTVLifer

A purely non political point: I don't want to hear two men bicker. This debate really is a mess.

[Image: BB50.png]
[-] The following 12 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Alessi, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, GMc, octothorpe, Reith85, Stuart, TIGHazard, UTVLifer

(04-06-2024, 09:25 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Yes wondered this myself, but they wouldn’t be listening to her as they’re still talking I guess. So makes it very messy to move forward
How about an electric cattle prod?

I sense whoever was hosting/moderating would struggle to manage both party leaders.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, Ash101, bkman1990, interestednovice, Stuart, thePineapple