UKTV to become 'U'

(06-06-2024, 09:31 AM)gottago Wrote:  There's a Broadcast article about the rebrand, nothing new in it but it does talk about a series as airing on both "W and U" which is a fantastically early confusion of this horrible brand.

It's even worse when they say a show is coming to "U and U&Dave" for instance. Doesn't help that, when I check UKTV's own official news page, they even say "U and U&W" for their upcoming crime shows.

Just say "U and W" or "U and Dave". It's still U& at the end of the day, just typed out differently. Or just say "Coming to U&Dave".

It's needless.
[-] The following 3 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • benzj, callumwatchestelly, Stuart

Yes, I thought the entire point was to negate the need to say both the streaming service and channel name on every plug by smashing the two together into a single brand?

So a programme being advertised on "U&Dave" could be correctly interpreted as being available both on the streaming service and linear channel.

If the reality is press releases and announcements will continue with something like "watch on U and U&Dave", then I'm even more confused about the rationale for this whole thing.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jonny's post:
  • AndrewP, GraemeT88, Ma76, Stuart

Seems the rebrand goes live on July 16th and the FAST channel rebrands are even worse.

UKTV Play Heroes > U&Real Heroes
UKTV Play Laughs > U&Laughs
UKTV Play Full Throttle > U&Transport
UKTV Play Uncovered > U&The Past

www.digitaltveurope.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR, Stuart

Came across this on Twitter and thought it was more than appropriate to share on this thread...

x.com 
[-] The following 13 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bilky asko, DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, GMc, Jonny, paul_hadley, RhysJR, SB678, Spencer, Stuart, Tola

(06-06-2024, 10:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Seems the rebrand goes live on July 16th and the FAST channel rebrands are even worse.

www.digitaltveurope.com 

I like how there's a space inbetween "Real Heroes" and "The Past"... if you're gonna commit to this garbage rebrand commit all the way... U&RealHeroes
[-] The following 8 users Like kianworld's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, DeMarkay, GeeTeeKay474, Jeff, JJJJ, Spencer, Stuart

U&Transport and U&The Past are perfect symbols for just how uncreative the TV industry has become.

Although U&Transport does provide some scope for an investigative programme on how hot London buses are.
[-] The following 2 users Like Isonstine's post:
  • all new phil, fanoftv

(06-06-2024, 10:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Seems the rebrand goes live on July 16th and the FAST channel rebrands are even worse.

www.digitaltveurope.com 
Why did they need to add Real to that name? Call it U&Heroes. Laughs is fine, that one's doing the same as the linear channels. Full Throttle should've been called U&Motors, as I imagine that one's mostly car shows like Top Gear? As for Uncovered, changing it to The Past is stupid. One of the linear channels, Yesterday, already covers history. It might as well be U&Yesterday2.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Stuart

The official press release announcing the changes and upcoming programming - every single one of them announced as being on "U and U&....".

Makes it sound like the channel names are staying the same and the on demand portal is being rebranded "U and U".

corporate.uktv.co.uk 

(07-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The official press release announcing the changes and upcoming programming - every single one of them announced as being on "U and U&....".

Makes it sound like the channel names are staying the same and the on demand portal is being rebranded "U and U".

corporate.uktv.co.uk 

Absolutely bizarre. I'm looking forward to seeing how this is communicated on screen to average viewers, because that reads like jumbled brand soup.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jonny's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, Ma76, SB678, Stuart

One part of this whole thing I don't get is why are U&Drama and U&Yesterday all caps while U&Dave isn't?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lyric's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474