BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(10-06-2024, 02:40 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  Going by a post on the STV website, it looks like STV will NOT have its own election night programme. It must be what 20 years since there NOT done an overnight programme for a National election. So looks like all of ITV will be getting Tom, Ed, George and co.

news.stv.tv 

I wonder if that is one reason Nicole Sturgeon is on the ITV show as they might give Scotland more focus than prehaps 2017 and 2019 for.

(03-06-2024, 05:26 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  It looks fantastic! Here a few caps. Not the biggest fan of the odd shape of the Millbank studio but it really suits this and the new screens are crisp enough for them to zoom in on the map and point at the small constituencies.

i.imgur.com 

And here is Sky's Millbank studio in manifesto presentation mode.
i.imgur.com 

(And the ticker is still in breaking news mode as of now! The breaking news? The format of Sky's Grimsby event have being unveiled!)
[-] The following 6 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Michael 18, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(10-06-2024, 06:08 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Sky have released a few more details on their programme on Wednesday. Sunak and Starmer will appear separately, each having a 20 minute interview with Beth Rigby and 25 minutes of audience questions with Sarah-Jane Mee. Sky understandably couldn't resist saying "45 minutes, not 45 seconds" after the response to the ITV debate.

news.sky.com 

I think Sky News announced first, but it surely does neither of them any favours for ITV and Sky to schedule their interview programmes with the PM in the same slot (7pm Wednesday).

Also not a criticism of the broadcasters per se, but politics has come to something when a 20-minute interview can be described as “in-depth”.
[-] The following 2 users Like sjhoward's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(10-06-2024, 02:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I assume Wales has never had it's own coverage in the ITV Wales era but did HTV ever do anything?

The last Wales-specific coverage I can recall was in 2005, when most (if not all) regions did two-minute opt outs in the networked election night programme (once every two hours, IIRC) - which appears to be the last time there were any regional opts.

Stretching further back, the regions usually mounted longer opts in GMTV / TV-am's hours - and maybe a full half-hour programme during the daytime.

(10-06-2024, 06:16 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I'm assuming the reason for why STV aren't going in-house is because they buy in everything from ITV these days, it'd make better use of their resources to use STV reporters on the networked ITV News Election programme rather than have a full team at Pacific Quay to produce an overnight show.

It's been mentioned before but since the 'affiliate' agreement between ITV and STV came into force in 2012 - following the long legal wrangle over networked output - STV have increasingly fallen into line with the rest of the network, so it pretty much seems a logical next step to not go its own way on a general election night.
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, interestednovice

(10-06-2024, 10:34 PM)sjhoward Wrote:  I think Sky News announced first, but it surely does neither of them any favours for ITV and Sky to schedule their interview programmes with the PM in the same slot (7pm Wednesday).

Also not a criticism of the broadcasters per se, but politics has come to something when a 20-minute interview can be described as “in-depth”.

There won't be a direct clash since Sky's leaders event will properly begin at 7:30pm.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jeff's post:
  • chrisherald, sjhoward

Bit of a hint of what to expect on 4th July ...

scontent-lhr6-2.xx.fbcdn.net 
Web Image

16:9 safe graphics - a first for BBC News, and an exciting development indeed.

I should note that I think that '24' design is a thing of beauty. Very nicely done indeed.

(11-06-2024, 07:27 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Bit of a hint of what to expect on 4th July ...

I should note that I think that '24' design is a thing of beauty. Very nicely done indeed.

Ah, I did have a feeling that those lower thirds used during the BBC debate the other day, quite large and boxy with potential to sit next to other bits of on-screen furniture, might be what we'd see on election night. Looks like that's the case.

There was word a little while back (I think before the election was called) that 16:9 safe graphics are on the way to BBC News at some point, so perhaps a sign of things to come generally.
[-] The following 7 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Juicy Joe, oscillon, Stuart, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(11-06-2024, 07:27 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  Bit of a hint of what to expect on 4th July ...

I guess if they have a count on the purple bar and latest results on the white bar that's quite a bit of information delivered in a minimalist sleak way, so they won't do that.

I find the 24 quite clunky myself but at least it can't be recycled for the next decade, though wonder if they had a 25 version made as well just incase Rishi had held off till the last possible date.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, UTVLifer

(10-06-2024, 11:55 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  It's been mentioned before but since the 'affiliate' agreement between ITV and STV came into force in 2012 - following the long legal wrangle over networked output - STV have increasingly fallen into line with the rest of the network, so it pretty much seems a logical next step to not go its own way on a general election night.

I think its got more to do with the fact Bernard Ponsonby has just retried and no one has replaced him yet. Thats by n by now.

It's odd the BBC has not created a "BBC Election coverage" promo, which they have been doing for the many years: Heck 2019 was even more snap that this years.

[-] The following 4 users Like Milkshake's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

Quite feasible that any election graphics were designed assuming an election date around October or later, i.e., were designed to match a style that is set to be introduced before then. Given the current set (minor updates aside) were introduced nearly five years ago (mid-July 2019)...
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice