Challenge TV

I think in the context of on location shows Fort Boyard is probably isn't too expensive, especially if CITV could afford it then. Not convinced wherever it landed a revival would last longer than a series though.

If Challenge ever do more original content though can't see it being anything other than a studio format.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(09-06-2024, 11:25 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  To change to a different, but more related challenge topic, i saw a youtube video where someone had managed to grt ahold of the Fort Boyard OST and it reminded me that Challenge has preivously aired all of the Fort Boyard episodes from the Channel 5 era.

Wonder if those will come around again in the near future, considering that there might be interest in physical/endurance game shows of that nature now, thanks in no small part to the successful BBC revival of Gladiators. I’m also hoping [optimistically] that Fort Boyard is also revived, as apparently there are some versions being made this year, but the cost to produce this will be high as its something they would be producing outside of the UK, so comes with all the insurance and travel expenditure that only someone like ITV or Channel 5 could reasonably attempt to produce….
If they want to cash in on the success of BBC Gladiators, wouldn't it make sense just to show the ITV version of that show? It's been on Challenge before.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Brekkie

(10-06-2024, 07:18 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  If they want to cash in on the success of BBC Gladiators, wouldn't it make sense just to show the ITV version of that show? It's been on Challenge before.
Would they be able to show that now? The rights might be a bit more murky now, because of the BBC version existing, so it might not be as easy for Challenge to simply show the ITV version. Does the BBC only have distribution rights of their reboot version, or do the BBC have full distribution rights of the Gladiators format in the UK, including control of the older ITV version? If the answer to this is the first one, then would all historical productions be controlled by SGM, in which case, they probably command a lot of money due to the BBC version existing?

That's not to say that it makes sense for them to show the older stuff, but with Gladiators' coming back successfully, it would be good to see Challenge showing some other stuff they likely have rights for (and which is probably cheaper to get ahold of too), but is in the same vein as Gladiators in genre (physical/endurance game show). Worth noting that Challenge's regular repeats likely had an impact on some of the reboots we've seen since 2014 or so, as it allowed older game shows to become known to younger viewers who'd never seen them at the time.

Even if Challenge were able to show the ITV series, I don't think the audience for it would be that great.

In terms of anyone cashing in on Gladiators, it'll be more difficult than cashing in on The Traitors and it's likely that none of those attempts will have lasted very long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 08:15 PM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  Would they be able to show that now? The rights might be a bit more murky now, because of the BBC version existing, so it might not be as easy for Challenge to simply show the ITV version. Does the BBC only have distribution rights of their reboot version, or do the BBC have full distribution rights of the Gladiators format in the UK, including control of the older ITV version? If the answer to this is the first one, then would all historical productions be controlled by SGM, in which case, they probably command a lot of money due to the BBC version existing?

That's not to say that it makes sense for them to show the older stuff, but with Gladiators' coming back successfully, it would be good to see Challenge showing some other stuff they likely have rights for (and which is probably cheaper to get ahold of too), but is in the same vein as Gladiators in genre (physical/endurance game show). Worth noting that Challenge's regular repeats likely had an impact on some of the reboots we've seen since 2014 or so, as it allowed older game shows to become known to younger viewers who'd never seen them at the time.
Why would the BBC have any control over the Sky and ITV versions? It'd be like Disney having control of all of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland - which they don't. Also, what's SGM? I think you mean MGM, or rather it's parent company, Amazon?

It does happen with licenced formats sometimes, which is why CBS/Paramount have distribution rights to the UK Wheel of Fortune even though it was made by STV.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Ma76, SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 10:34 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Why would the BBC have any control over the Sky and ITV versions? It'd be like Disney having control of all of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland - which they don't. Also, what's SGM? I think you mean MGM, or rather it's parent company, Amazon?

I could be completely making this up, but I'm sure I've heard of situations before - in America, in regards to syndication - where an older show (or older episodes in regards to a long running one) isn't allowed to be aired around the timeslot of newer episodes / a remake, to stop audience confusion.

Never heard of that happening over here, but in this particular case it would be MGM refusing to sell repeat rights to Sky while the BBC version is airing. Theoretically the BBC could request MGM to not do so if they wanted, though MGM would not have to abide by that request.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TIGHazard's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 10:34 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Why would the BBC have any control over the Sky and ITV versions? It'd be like Disney having control of all of Doctor Who outside the UK and Ireland - which they don't. Also, what's SGM? I think you mean MGM, or rather it's parent company, Amazon?

I think he may mean SGC, the Samuel Golywn Company which was acquired by United Artists which is to all intents and purposes now part of MGM, which is itself now owned by Amazon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • Ma76, SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 11:29 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I think he may mean SGC, the Samuel Golywn Company which was acquired by United Artists which is to all intents and purposes now part of MGM, which is itself now owned by Amazon.

Yeah, thats who I was referring to, I couldn't remember if it was SGC or SGM, so went with the latter. Big Grin

Pretty sure the rights for the LWT series are held by ITV Studios Global Entertainment. No doubt MGM are entitled to their cut but I can't see any reason why it might be any less acquirable for Sky because of the present series.

Indeed VMTV had no trouble airing the LWT series on both Virgin 1 and Challenge while the Sky1 series was airing, and the two parties were engaged in a public dispute.

It's not impossible that MGM would seek to block distribution, but it'd cost them to do so and I can't see what the benefit might be?

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Ma76