General Bauer Radio Discussion

(12-06-2024, 01:32 AM)HarveyB Wrote:  Could Bauer not have just simply left the Heritage Local Stations alone, and instead built up new National Stations from the ground up? I have have nothing against them putting off peak local programming onto national stations, but they've done it in the completely wrong way. They should have never killed off the Local Heritage Stations in my Opinion

They might have had no issue building up GHR purely on DAB, even with Ken Bruce. I know it's the same way Global did it in the late 00s/early 10s, but digital listening has come so far I'd argue doing it the same way now wasn't exactly necessary.

Considering in Cornwall GHR was digital only when it launched after they took over UKRD, it seems their target audience is for FM so when Pirate went for HITS, they obviously felt that younger listeners are likely to listen on DAB or online, while older listeners are likely to listen on FM, so for them it makes commercial sense to switch the two stations around. I'm not that keen on HITS, but occasionally listen to GHR. However, if I'm out and about and want local info, I'll listen to another station instead that is at least live and local all day...

~SpacewardAsh

(12-06-2024, 11:17 AM)SpacewardAsh Wrote:  Considering in Cornwall GHR was digital only when it launched after they took over UKRD, it seems their target audience is for FM so when Pirate went for HITS, they obviously felt that younger listeners are likely to listen on DAB or online, while older listeners are likely to listen on FM, so for them it makes commercial sense to switch the two stations around. I'm not that keen on HITS, but occasionally listen to GHR. However, if I'm out and about and want local info, I'll listen to another station instead that is at least live and local all day...

Not only that, but they'd managed to accumulate 68k listeners through being a DAB and online only station, which is an impressive performance, even before they took over the FM frequencies.

Can't find any official announcements about this, but it seems Planet Radio has been replaced by a web version of Rayo, a beta version of which was soft launched last year on app stores.

Anyone heard any active promotions of this change on air? Feels like it's snuck under the radar.

(19-06-2024, 04:14 PM)Jonny Wrote:  Can't find any official announcements about this, but it seems Planet Radio has been replaced by a web version of Rayo, a beta version of which was soft launched last year on app stores.

Anyone heard any active promotions of this change on air? Feels like it's snuck under the radar.
I doubt there’s been much promotion, as I’ve never heard Planet Radio get mentioned on air (at least on the Kiss stations, they favour pushing their Kiss Kube app instead). It might be different on the other stations though.

The Rayo app is still in beta with more features added on Monday such as regionalisation of GHR and Hits stations and being able to favourite stations in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

However, the station apps based on the Planet Radio template are still the only way to access full online features, such as saving catch-up shows and Premium song skip.

(19-06-2024, 04:29 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The Rayo app is still in beta with more features added on Monday such as regionalisation of GHR and Hits stations and being able to favourite stations in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

However, the station apps based on the Planet Radio template are still the only way to access full online features, such as saving catch-up shows and Premium song skip.
Looks like a full campaign has begun for Rayo:

radiotoday.co.uk 

They must be hoping that Rayo will become their equivalent of Global Player or BBC Sounds, compared to how the Planet Radio brand was never really promoted.

Surprisingly, I've not heard Rayo being promoted on the Hits Radio network yet

(24-06-2024, 04:11 PM)TVFan Wrote:  They must be hoping that Rayo will become their equivalent of Global Player or BBC Sounds, compared to how the Planet Radio brand was never really promoted.

Planet Radio was always just a Web based thing too, I don't think it was ever an app. Which meant either installing near identical apps for each station, or opening the Absolute Radio app to listen to Kiss.

Once Global launched Global Player they kept a lot of their station specific apps too, so there is the option of both, which is a much better solution. I wonder if Bauer are keeping theirs

At the moment if you're a Premium customer, you have to keep the legacy station specific app for the song skip feature.

Pre Rayo if you listened to various Bauer stations, you had to have each station app to listen to catch-up, Rayo resolves that issue.