BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Ed Conway is a real asset for Sky News.

Beth Rigby seems to divide people. They either love or hate her. I think if you are a regular viewer of Sky News, you understand her a little more and know her style.

The only thing I would say tonight, is she let the audience distract her from task in hand a couple of times.
[-] The following 4 users Like fusionlad's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Stuart, UTVLifer

(12-06-2024, 12:52 PM)madmusician Wrote:  It's a lovely little set, isn't it?! The BBC microphone and the BBC blocks are lovely touches.

Really? I thought it looked cheap and makeshift, like a set hurriedly put together for a visualised podcast, not a flagship interview with the Prime Minister ahead of a general election.

The lighting made both Nick Robinson and Rishi Sunak look ill. There was a dodgy looking gap at the bottom of the back-cloth. And the projected image on the back wall looked really washed out.

Couldn’t they have used a proper set – maybe Studio B, now that’s out of use for most of the day?
[-] The following 7 users Like Spencer's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jayesyn

Surprised they didn’t use B - especially as they used it for the Nick Robinson interview of Sunak in the Truss/Sunak leadership content.
[-] The following 3 users Like steve's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Spencer

(12-06-2024, 09:35 PM)fusionlad Wrote:  Ed Conway is a real asset for Sky News.

Beth Rigby seems to divide people. They either love or hate her. I think if you are a regular viewer of Sky News, you understand her a little more and know her style.

The only thing I would say tonight, is she let the audience distract her from task in hand a couple of times.

I think Sky really used everyone to their strengths tonight. Sarah Jane Mee was dispatched to talk further to audience members after the main event was over. Something that she really quite excels at. Sophy Ridge with the spin angle and yes Ed Conway, glad they had him on standby to do a bit of factchecking.

Beth Rigby got more applause than either Starmer or Sunak! Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, fusionlad, Gibsy, Jeff

was definitely a much better produced and structured debate tonight than ITV's but will doubtless be the least watched by the general public just by virtue of it being on Sky News unfortunately.
[-] The following 10 users Like Luc's post:
  • aaron_scotland, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, fusionlad, interestednovice, Jeff, matthieu1221, UTVLifer, Will

(12-06-2024, 10:38 PM)Luc Wrote:  was definitely a much better produced and structured debate tonight than ITV's but will doubtless be the least watched by the general public just by virtue of it being on Sky News unfortunately.

I mean it didn't just air on the Sky News channel, it also aired on Showcase & Mix.

(12-06-2024, 10:21 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Beth Rigby got more applause than either Starmer or Sunak! Big Grin
I was more disturbed that she did more talking than anyone else. I don't think that's a very good interview technique. It's quite frustrating for the viewer and also the people being interviewed.

The set in Grimsby looked quite nice. It's rather the case these days of "have big LED screen, will travel". Big Grin
[-] The following 8 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, GMc, interestednovice, Reith85, UTVLifer

(12-06-2024, 11:25 PM)callumwatchestelly Wrote:  I mean it didn't just air on the Sky News channel, it also aired on Showcase & Mix.
That's good, as there are some families out there who are too poor to have Sky Cool Confused Sad

(12-06-2024, 09:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Really? I thought it looked cheap and makeshift, like a set hurriedly put together for a visualised podcast, not a flagship interview with the Prime Minister ahead of a general election.

The lighting made both Nick Robinson and Rishi Sunak look ill. There was a dodgy looking gap at the bottom of the back-cloth. And the projected image on the back wall looked really washed out.

Couldn’t they have used a proper set – maybe Studio B, now that’s out of use for most of the day?

I don't remember what they did for the last General Election, but in the past it's the kind of thing where they've either booked the studio at Westminster Live (, for the over-the-Thames view of Parliament), or an empty floor or an office building for a generic soft focus skyline view. I guess this time they wanted to go for the 'cosy' look and this was available and inexpensive to crew.
[-] The following 4 users Like thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Stuart, UTVLifer

Quality not great for Labours launch today, it's almost like a lens element is out of whack.
[-] The following 4 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart, UTVLifer