BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Looking at ITV's coverage of the 97 election, you can see an audience, which is bizarre. The only time this has happened on a main channel's election coverage? (though Channel 4's coverage does to, but that's intended to be diferent and more entertaining).
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisherald

(27-06-2024, 12:05 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Looking at ITV's coverage of the 97 election, you can see an audience, which is bizarre. The only time this has happened on a main channel's election coverage? (though Channel 4's coverage does to, but that's intended to be diferent and more entertaining).

That was "The ITV 100" or something like that, wasn't it? A large panel of voters they had discussions with through the campaign.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • chrisherald, lookoutwales

(27-06-2024, 01:02 PM)Transmission Wrote:  That was "The ITV 100" or something like that, wasn't it? A large panel of voters they had discussions with through the campaign.

Yes, that ITV 100 was presented by Sue Lawley - it made decent use of the space available in the atrium, even though when I watched it, always felt the jib camera pan shots was going to bump into one of the members at some point.

I'll need to rewatch it in full, only had a brief look at parts of it.

Also watching the October 74 election, the non-sync cuts are nearly gone. There's a few near the start, that are like the ones on the 70 election rather than the ones on Feb 74, but then all the switching to and from other sources is very neat.

Also during the 74 elections they keep pointing out that results are on BBC2, telling you they're up to certain letters. Would be interested to see what they actually looked like, but I'm guessing there's no surviving recordings. Presumably it's just the same graphics we see on the main coverage backed by test card music, but it would have been interesting to see.

(27-06-2024, 01:02 PM)Transmission Wrote:  That was "The ITV 100" or something like that, wasn't it? A large panel of voters they had discussions with through the campaign.

I think it was the ITV 500, and there had been a Granada 500 previously... www.granadaland.org 
[-] The following 2 users Like Otis Crump's post:
  • chrisherald, Transmission

It was the ITV 500, STV took the idea and run with it ( there connection there if you know where to look)

To be fair I think this format is far better then the leader debates, you can never tell what the people will ask.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • chrisherald

(27-06-2024, 12:02 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Why is that not enough? Who does Wimbledon coverage serve other than tennis fans? Who does Glastonbury coverage serve other than music fans?

This thing we've got going on here of people complaining there's too much of what they're watching is really weird.

i mean that's a little unfair. no harm in being mildly critical of the programming on the UK's premier channel and if pointless opining was outlawed i'm not sure what this forum would be comprised of? Spin room post-debate is usually reserved for news channels and an audience of politics geeks so it was notable to see it on BBC1, that's all
[-] The following 3 users Like Luc's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, leewilliams

(27-06-2024, 05:20 PM)Luc Wrote:  i mean that's a little unfair. no harm in being mildly critical of the programming on the UK's premier channel and if pointless opining was outlawed i'm not sure what this forum would be comprised of? Spin room post-debate is usually reserved for news channels and an audience of politics geeks so it was notable to see it on BBC1, that's all

Dont mind if it's genuine but with some posters it feels disingenuous. They're only complaining there's too much election coverage on the BBC because they can't complain there's not enough. Somewhere in the multiverse they're arguing the opposite.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Nobby, Reith85

Ooh, this looks interesting, looks like ITN will be streaming a load of their old election coverage on election night, and put up a montage of titles of all their past election nights from 59 to 97:

youtu.be 

Only a few days after I said on here I wish I'd be able to see more historic ITN election coverage... are they reading here?

It's a 50fps video too!
[-] The following 9 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, Bungo Bill, chevron, chrisherald, JMT1985, lookoutwales, matthieu1221, Omnipresent