General Bauer Radio Discussion

I was actually wondering what Rayo was whenever I asked my Google Hub to play Clyde 1. So it appears as well that Rayo has Google Assistant capability as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary McEwan's post:
  • London Lite

Debbie Mac has announced her departure from GHR following her move to Canada last year. I believe her non-regional afternoon show has been VT’d from her new home for some time now.

www.instagram.com ==

Andy Goulding takes over the 1-4pm slot - again for those who don’t get a regional opt-out show, as well as his current Midlands listeners - from Monday.

(29-06-2024, 05:50 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Debbie Mac has announced her departure from GHR following her move to Canada last year. I believe her non-regional afternoon show has been VT’d from her new home for some time now.

www.instagram.com ==

Andy Goulding takes over the 1-4pm slot - again for those who don’t get a regional opt-out show, as well as his current Midlands listeners - from Monday.
Debbie was the regional show for Manchester/North West as well as being networked wasn't she?

Good for Andy, he's been around in that part of the world for a long time. Where does the non local afternoon show go out now that they've ditched their TV platform carriage, and GHR has expanded to almost all the country?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

(29-06-2024, 10:55 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Debbie was the regional show for Manchester/North West as well as being networked wasn't she?

Good for Andy, he's been around in that part of the world for a long time. Where does the non local afternoon show go out now that they've ditched their TV platform carriage, and GHR has expanded to almost all the country?

Yes it was - though I guess having Rossie on breakfast from Liverpool qualifies towards OFCOM local/regional quotas.

I would assume Andy will be going out in the same areas as Debbie did, as well as the Midlands - so we're probably talking about London, the North East and Northern Ireland at least, as well as the UK variant - although South Wales (DAB only) carries the South West show from Bristol for whatever reason.

And being produced from Birmingham will still count towards the local quota regardless of whether it's local-only or part networked.

I hadn't realised London didn't have it's own local programme, but then the requirement for Virgin/Absolute to have one on that frequency seemed to go away along long time ago.

There was some, but not much, local content on Andy's show. Do the rest of the country just hear that or I wonder if they'll make it less local?

Surely Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc will satisfy the regional requirements for London?
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • LargelyALurker

(Yesterday, 10:47 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Surely Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc will satisfy the regional requirements for London?
That's true, although when the license was awarded (to Virgin as it then was) it did require London only programing despite the fact that the whole station came from Golden Square.

Though as I say that didn't last more than a few years, at one point the whole daytime from 10am to 7pm was split London/UK

The London opt-out shows on Virgin weren't all that. I'd still end up listening on 1215 for Nick Abbot.

I'll preface this by saying that in my opinion, the local programming rules have been a bit of a mockery since they last changed back in 2019. However, it really does speak volumes that you can simply spread out your presenters across the country and meet the requirements that way. How on Earth can a programme be defined as "local" when it covers all of the Midlands, most of North West England, North East England, London, Kent & Northern Ireland.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

(Yesterday, 04:56 PM)London Lite Wrote:  The London opt-out shows on Virgin weren't all that. I'd still end up listening on 1215 for Nick Abbot.
Though by that point wasn't he just playing music as he'd had his phone in taken off him after a few incidents*. At one point he was doing afternoons on MW only.

The London opt outs were originally an early evening entertainment news show with Roland Rivron and Paul Coyte. Then IIRC it was Paul on evenings. Then they split after breakfast until 7pm for a while before they were ditched altogether except news, travel and adverts

*that is was a sad day tuning in and hearing him just doing short minimal links between songs and nothing else
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales, Transmission