BBC Radio 4 Pres

Something extra from the announcer at closedown on Radio 4. A meteor shower...Shipping Forecast-style...

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • Moz, Roger Darthwell

Dragging up an old thread to say that I finally got round to listening to "But First, This...", a special programme by the Radio 4 continuity announcers, broadcast at the very end of last year.

For those that don't know - unlike most BBC national radio stations, Radio 4 has continuity more akin to the BBC's TV channels, introducing typically shorter programmes (15, 30, 60 minutes long) and playing out trailers, filling gaps etc. perfectly so timings are all correctly hit throughout the day.

It's a little gushing in places (especially about the Shipping Forecast), but I was surprised at how basic and quaint Radio 4 continuity/playout seems from some of their comments. I'm sure it's actually very resilient.

Anyway, an interesting listen if you have an hour to spare: www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 5 users Like scottishtv's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, JJJJ, SB678, what

A few weeks ago the continuity announcer accidentally replayed the previous programme, cue a profuse apology and some button clicking before the next programme played.

Brought a smile to my face it did

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...

Just heard at the end of today's Daily Service - it will soon be on BBC R4 Extra apparently..

(23-01-2024, 11:07 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  Just heard at the end of today's Daily Service - it will soon be on BBC R4 Extra apparently..

Yes as part of the shut down of Radio 4 long wave, certain LW only programmes are going to make the move to Radio 4 Extra.

Daily Service and Yesterday in Parliament do already have their own side channels on DAB radio of course that activate only when they are on air.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Interesting - the initial announcement used to just say that it will soon be moving with no mention of where or when
Presume it'll be shunted around again when R4 Extra closes as well..

Also, is there any news of what will become of Radio 4's MW frequencies?

I think the 4Extra thing was always the plan, and also my understanding that it's not earmarked for closing any more. Those programmes aren't a great fit for 4Extra, but format wise it's not what it was originally anyway

Without seperate programmes the MW Radio 4 transmitters are pretty pointless, so I imagine they'll be turned off at some point

(23-01-2024, 01:34 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I think the 4Extra thing was always the plan, and also my understanding that it's not earmarked for closing any more. Those programmes aren't a great fit for 4Extra, but format wise it's not what it was originally anyway

Without seperate programmes the MW Radio 4 transmitters are pretty pointless, so I imagine they'll be turned off at some point
Given that all MW transmissions of BBC radio stations are due to end "by December 2027" I imagine they'll soon be turned off.

The LW frequencies are being turned off "from March", though I've not seen an exact date confirmed. Reading www.bbc.co.uk  makes no mention of the MW frequency. I'm guessing this means they either don't want to promote it as it'll be switched off relatively soon, or someone doesn't realise it currently still has a MW frequency.

Maybe it'll be quietly axed at the end of March before the start of the BBC's new financial year.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Radio 4 LW itself isn't being turned off in March/April, just the LW only programming. As far as I know no date has been set yet, mainly because the BBC isn't the only thing carried on that frequency. The electricity companies need to get their customers off their radio teleswitching and onto modern equivalents first

(23-01-2024, 03:18 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Radio 4 LW itself isn't being turned off in March/April, just the LW only programming. As far as I know no date has been set yet, mainly because the BBC isn't the only thing carried on that frequency. The electricity companies need to get their customers off their radio teleswitching and onto modern equivalents first

The Radio Teleswitch service is scheduled to end on the 31st March according to Ofgem, and all suppliers are supposed to have replaced RTS meters by this date.

www.ofgem.gov.uk 

However, I did hear the energy industry has been wanting to push this date back into 2025.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • interestednovice