Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

(28-03-2023, 08:55 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  Is there a chance with all these recent breakdowns they will abandon their plans to use C and use A for the main channel and D for UK opts?
I think it is slim unless they have managed to upgrade all CGI things for A to at least the level of Sports programming.

And what issues do you have with J (balcony) used for UK opts? Possibility of a noise from refurbished newsroom being heard on air?
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • UTVLifer, xlalonce

Do the BBC News technical team's have lapel microphones for newsreaders that can drown out the noise of the building work going ahead on E from next week.

(28-03-2023, 09:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 08:55 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  Is there a chance with all these recent breakdowns they will abandon their plans to use C and use A for the main channel and D for UK opts?
I think it is slim unless they have managed to upgrade all CGI things for A to at least the level of Sports programming.

And what issues do you have with J (balcony) used for UK opts? Possibility of a noise from refurbished newsroom being heard on air?
Studio J would be so much better (or Studio F the green/blue screen cupboard) but from what some people have been saying, it will be a Studio which is expected to be A.

(28-03-2023, 09:39 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 09:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  I think it is slim unless they have managed to upgrade all CGI things for A to at least the level of Sports programming.

Studio J would be so much better (or Studio F the green/blue screen cupboard) but from what some people have been saying, it will be a Studio which is expected to be A.

They are going to use Studio J for the UK opts. So you've nothing to worry about.

(28-03-2023, 02:49 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  This article says that only Lucy Hockings will have a branded programme from launch, and will be on TV from 12pm-3pm BST.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/bbc-news-channel-presenters-benched-merger-april-3-1235311455/

[Image: image.png]
I'm not entirely sure why Lucy Hockings is seemingly the top dog here? Don't get me wrong - she is excellent (as are most of the other World presenters) but I'd have thought someone like Yalda Hakim or Christian Fraser, who seem to have much higher profiles than Hockings, might have gotten priority for a branded show? I suspect it's perhaps to do with seniority? I think Lucy's been a presenter there for longer than any of the other 'Chief Presenters'.

(28-03-2023, 09:40 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 09:39 PM)Alx321 Wrote:  Studio J would be so much better (or Studio F the green/blue screen cupboard) but from what some people have been saying, it will be a Studio which is expected to be A.

They are going to use Studio J for the UK opts. So you've nothing to worry about.

(28-03-2023, 02:49 PM)EverythingFavs Wrote:  This article says that only Lucy Hockings will have a branded programme from launch, and will be on TV from 12pm-3pm BST.

https://deadline.com/2023/03/bbc-news-channel-presenters-benched-merger-april-3-1235311455/

[Image: image.png]
I'm not entirely sure why Lucy Hockings is seemingly the top dog here? Don't get me wrong - she is excellent (as are most of the other World presenters) but I'd have thought someone like Yalda Hakim or Christian Fraser, who seem to have much higher profiles than Hockings, might have gotten priority for a branded show? I suspect it's perhaps to do with seniority? I think Lucy's been a presenter there for longer than any of the other 'Chief Presenters'.

In terms of longevity I’d say Matthew Amroliwala is possibly the most high profile, who was a regular News 24 and BBC One face between 1997 and 2014, although has been less on in the U.K. in the last 8 years. 

In terms of recent years, I agree Yalda and Christian are probably most high profile.

(28-03-2023, 09:50 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  
(28-03-2023, 09:40 PM)Kojak Wrote:  They are going to use Studio J for the UK opts. So you've nothing to worry about.

In terms of longevity I’d say Matthew Amroliwala is possibly the most high profile, who was a regular News 24 and BBC One face between 1997 and 2014, although has been less on in the U.K. in the last 8 years. 

In terms of recent years, I agree Yalda and Christian are probably most high profile.
OF COURSE! How can I have forgotten Matthew?! *facepalm* Have grown up watching him across BBC News. Though I suppose if you strictly count just World, then Lucy has been there the longest.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom, Rolling News

With Lucy getting 12-3, she won't be on the UK feed from 1-1.45 due to the network news and Sportsday and on Wednesdays the UK will opt out for PMQs.

(28-03-2023, 09:40 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure why Lucy Hockings is seemingly the top dog here? Don't get me wrong - she is excellent (as are most of the other World presenters) but I'd have thought someone like Yalda Hakim or Christian Fraser, who seem to have much higher profiles than Hockings, might have gotten priority for a branded show? I suspect it's perhaps to do with seniority? I think Lucy's been a presenter there for longer than any of the other 'Chief Presenters'.
But Christian is getting his branded show (back), the Context is back next week in a double quantity.
twitter.com 

It's weird for me as well why they are putting some presenters back without a brand name for the show... May be they axed half of the designers' team as well, so they can redesign only one show per month now? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • bax

(28-03-2023, 09:57 PM)oscillon Wrote:  But Christian is getting his branded show (back), the Context is back next week in a double quantity.
twitter.com 

It's weird for me as well why they are putting some presenters back without a brand name... May be they axed half of the designers' team as well, so they can refit only one show at a time now?

Ah! I had missed that. It wasn't mentioned in the Deadline article (which explicitly said Lucy Hockings was the only presenter with a 'branded' show). Of course Christian's show might not actually be called The Context on screen - but saying 'The Context' is obviously much easier than 'my BBC News slot which used to be called The Context but is no longer'. Big Grin

Matthew is the well known domestic face, Yalda is the new darling of the network. Christian was helped by his Katy Key partnership. Lucy is just there, always.... Maryam is the mysterious one, ....
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, UTVLifer
Thread Closed