Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

(28-03-2023, 09:59 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Matthew is the well known domestic face
If you voxed 100 people on a random high street and asked them to identify him by sight, the number who could would comfortably be in single figures - and possibly fewer than that.

(28-03-2023, 11:54 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  
If you voxed 100 people on a random high street and asked them to identify him by sight, the number who could would comfortably be in single figures - and possibly fewer than that.

I’d expect a lot of people to say “oh it’s that bloke who used to do Crimewatch”.
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, GMc, UTVLifer

Well from the World people, he's the one who did most domestic news. When it comes to recognition, you could probably say the same for most of them, since in reality very few really watch news or pay attention to presenters.

(29-03-2023, 12:17 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Well from the World people, he's the one who did most domestic news. When it comes to recognition, you could probably say the same for most of them, since in reality very few really watch news or pay attention to presenters.
On the other hand, it's Christian Fraser and Maryam Moshiri who were regularly seen in recent time on NC during simulcasts of The Context and Outsude Source. People's memories have time limitation. Also, Afghanistan specials, anchored by Yalda Hakim, although infrequent, were usually simulcasted on NC as well, so of the whole UK five, I think, it is Lucy Hockings who will be least recognizable to a domestic NC viewer.

'The Context' getting extended is unfortunate unless there's a massive change in format. The pundits offer no real insight and get paid for that. It's has the nutrition of junk food like Fox or MSNBC but without the flavour.

(28-03-2023, 11:54 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  
The number who recognise him or the number who can pronounce his name?

(29-03-2023, 07:14 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  The number who recognise him or the number who can pronounce his name?
I'd never have a problem pronouncing his surname as we've heard it on air for years. I'd just struggle to spell it off the top of my head. Tongue

(28-03-2023, 11:54 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  If you voxed 100 people on a random high street and asked them to identify him by sight, the number who could would comfortably be in single figures - and possibly fewer than that.
This would be true of pretty much all newsreaders outside the major network bulletins, though. Regular viewership of news channels is just not that high - particularly those viewers who watch long and frequently enough to know the names of the presenters.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, ginnyfan

For what it's worth here in Australia, the News Corp (Murdoch) owned streaming service Flash News has changed the icon for what was BBC World News:

(originally posted his in the BBC News thread by mistake)

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • bkman1990, CF1, oscillon, UTVLifer
Thread Closed