Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

It’s amazing how different OS is with Ros
[-] The following 7 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jimbo2022, thePineapple

(29-03-2023, 01:19 PM)chaose Wrote:  Interesting logo there... Oversized NEWS in Gill. I've never seen that before. It's like the new DOGs on some channels, but... old.
There was a dodgy logo like that used in the refreshed, glossy titles that the BBC One bulletins got when the BARCO set in N6 launched in May 2006. They only lasted until January 2007. https://youtu.be/8ofpMuE-0S0
[-] The following 3 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • Ant, interestednovice, Spencer

(29-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  twitter.com 
While recruitment is continuing in Washington, it’s been suggested to me that the process in London may have been impacted by union unhappiness that at least one freelancer made it through to the shortlist for the correspondent/presenter roles despite it being a closed process for staff.

Some of the names put to me on that shortlist are also pretty surprising - suffice to say, don’t expect lots of existing presenters to be filling those roles.
[-] The following 5 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Kojak, Rolling News, UTVLifer

Oh dear, I’m really losing any feelings of optimism that this is going to somehow be “alright on the night” now!

Surely a major broadcaster such as the BBC must know what they are doing, but the details we are hearing (both public and through private leaks) seem to cast serious doubt on the project.

The BBC also, schedule-wise, appear to be making massive mistakes too and missing obvious opportunities to provide better output for the same/similar money.
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, UTVLifer

It certainly looks like a fake to me.

Using a screenshot from @leewilliams' very helpful video capture, I quickly matched the cropped image (purporting to show 'the Globe' branding) with almost the exact frame of the real 1600 TOTH. The only difference between the two frames is that Shaun is blinking in one, and not the other. This leaves no room for doubt that the 'Globe' image was based on a real screenshot captured at that exact same moment, since it's plainly not credible that Shaun would have adopted the exact same pose - with the same people in the same positions in the background - in two TOTH sequences.

That alone should surely be enough proof that the 'Globe' image is not authentic. But if more proof is needed, I've highlighted further issues with the 'Globe' image in this inconveniently fast-moving gif (click through for larger version): 

ibb.co 

A quick summary if you're struggling to keep up with all the info in the gif... Four additional problems with the 'Globe' image: 

A. The bezels on the display in the 'Globe' image appear much thinner than those on the real display in studio E. 

B. Images reflected in the real desk are noticeably distorted towards the edge of the desk. The reflection of the 'Globe' branding in that image shows no signs of distortion, with a perfectly 'clean' reflection. 

C. Physical elements built into the desk - secondary mics, I assume? - mysteriously disappear when the 'Globe' branding is reflected in the desk. Lol.

D. The partial crop of the 'Globe' image was explained away by the need to quickly grab a screenshot before the logo supposedly vanished from screen. Conveniently, it also removed the timestamp - the easiest tool to help verify the image's authenticity, or lack thereof. 

So, yeah, it's a fake. And not a very good one. 

How terribly awkward for the person who created it.  Big Grin

Can someone clarify how many different opts will there be for the new BBC News (that WAS BBC World).

Americas
Europe
Middle East
Asia Pacific
South Asia
Africa
UK

And all opts outside UK they carry the same programmes all the time with regional opts for weather? Is that right.

And is a generic version actually broadcast anywhere? Thanks
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(30-03-2023, 09:02 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Can someone clarify how many different opts will there be for the new BBC News (that WAS BBC World).

Americas
Europe
Middle East
Asia Pacific
South Asia
Africa
UK

And all opts outside UK they carry the same programmes all the time with regional opts for weather? Is that right.

The correct number there, but there isn't a separate Africa opt and there are separate North America and Latin America opts.

And yes, at least for next week's schedule the UK is the only one with some separate programmes. In previous weeks, the two America opts had some different back half hour programmes in their peak time instead of Asia Business Report/Sport Today such as Click and a repeat of World News America, but that seems to stop next week.

Just a quick look at weekend schedules, there are various UK opts for back half-hour programmes (again the same ones that are on globally, but different versions - my guess is no centre breaks). Plus Breakfast each morning and two editions of Sportsday at 18:30 and 19:30 BST.
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(30-03-2023, 09:02 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  And all opts outside UK they carry the same programmes all the time with regional opts for weather? Is that right.

It appears to be so. Even North & South American versions, up till now notorious for carrying much less Asia Business Report than other versions (replacing in with WNA repeats and other recorded programs in the BOTH), will be in line with other non-UK outputs.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(30-03-2023, 09:02 AM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Can someone clarify how many different opts will there be for the new BBC News (that WAS BBC World).

I imagine that the international regional versions of the channel will carry on from World News as their primary purpose is to allow for different ad sales, though they do of course also have their own weather forecasts and have previously carried some minor variations in programming - though I can't see any from next Monday at the minute.

Regional variations in programming have happened, though are largely limited to shuffled back-half hours these days - North America, for instance, currently only show the last ABR-Sport Today pairing, replacing the earlier three with a repeat of WNA and two feature/filler programmes. Region-specific original programming, like Asia Business Report from 2000 to 2008 and the various India factual programmes in the late-90s/early-00s, have disappeared.

I don't think there's a 'generic' BBC World News. During live news programming, the gallery will output the 'default' version of the programme - but it's up to Red Bee to fill in the rest and create the regional variants. Isn't Europe the one that is typically shown on the screens around NBH?
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice

With all the cuts happening I’ve not seen much about what’s happening with the correspondents around the world. Has there been any changes made or are things staying as normal? It made me think as the Pope is back in the news, is David willey still Vatican correspondent? I’ve not heard a report from him in a while.
Thread Closed