Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

Perhaps Newsnight could be kept at 40 minutes, but organise themselves so that the News Channel could cleanly opt out at the TOTH?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • Former Member 406

(16-08-2022, 01:03 PM)Moz Wrote:  Perhaps Newsnight could be kept at 40 minutes, but organise themselves so that the News Channel could cleanly opt out at the TOTH?

Hopefully without anything happening like when Paxo often went out of his way to try and sabotage the Newsnight Scotland opt-out point from being clean! (He was entitled to his personal opinion against the NN Scotland opt's existence, but it was dreadfully unprofessional of him to behave like that on air).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Witchend

(16-08-2022, 01:03 PM)Moz Wrote:  Perhaps Newsnight could be kept at 40 minutes, but organise themselves so that the News Channel could cleanly opt out at the TOTH?
Arguably if they were to move Newsnight to a 10.45pm (as per lockdown) then it could finish at 11.30pm. This would give a cleaner join with the (international) BBC News schedule. Whilst this would leave a 15 minute gap between the Ten and Newsnight this could potentially be filled with a sports bulletin, as currently there are sport updates overnight on World News.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Former Member 406

(15-08-2022, 06:39 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I think the point that is continually missed, however, is that we don’t *need* a news channel to give us UK-focused coverage. Throughout the course of the day we have Breakfast, Politics Live, News at 1, News at 6 and News at 10 giving domestic news coverage, alongside 5 Live, the website, the app, their Twitter feeds…

The BBC is moving away from the idea of having a rolling UK-specific news channel, but that doesn’t mean there’ll be no more domestic news covered anywhere. It makes perfect sense to have an international-focused news channel fitting alongside all of this, and those scrambling to point out what gaps there’ll be in the coverage from that one outlet in isolation are missing the point and the bigger picture entirely.

This is pretty much the same, almost word for word, BS template people used to try and justify why closing linear BBC Three down was a good idea. "We don't *need* a BBC Three channel. The audiance will still be well served by linear and online. Changing times yada yada yada."

Fast forward 7 years... Shy .
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • AndrewP, Roger Darthwell

KWP - I hope the BS there stands for 'bog standard' and nothing inflammatory, please!

With cinnamon, never chocolate

I reached out to her, she’s absolutely fine. Obviously I won’t divulge what was said, but we needn’t worry about our supergirl.

(16-08-2022, 03:47 PM)Cappuccino Wrote:  KWP - I hope the BS there stands for 'bog standard' and nothing inflammatory, please!

Sorry Op, are you saying we are not permitted to abbreviate or make our feelings known in a in-overt manner. ?

We are all welcome to hold our own opinions, and, as this is a forum, a lot of those opinions will be expressed. I would just ask that we all please consider the words - and abbreviations - we use when we articulate them.

With cinnamon, never chocolate

While I do appreciate Martine's fight and motives, as a union leader but also one of the star presenters of News channel who wants to keep her job, I'm also not sure this sort of attitude is fair to BBC World News, a channel many would agree is a much better product than the News Channel ever was.

Getting BBC World News is not the worst thing that can happen to UK viewers. A bit more international news with a proper amount of local stories can be done, Sky News has done it, more or less, since its debut.
[-] The following 3 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Former Member 406, Stuart, TVFan

(17-08-2022, 09:59 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  While I do appreciate Martine's fight and motives, as a union leader but also one of the star presenters of News channel who wants to keep her job, I'm also not sure this sort of attitude is fair to BBC World News, a channel many would agree is a much better product than the News Channel ever was.

Getting BBC World News is not the worst thing that can happen to UK viewers. A bit more international news with a proper amount of local stories can be done, Sky News has done it, more or less, since its debut.

Couldn’t disagree more. While the News Channel of late has become a shadow of its former News 24 self, it was once head and shoulders about BBC World.

One small example is the contrast in coverage of 9/11 where World was just woeful.

As for Sky News - that is clearly a UK channel with a few world news stories, so I don’t get what you mean there.

If they have to close one channel I think it should be BBC World News. Us making news for the rest of the world but not for ourselves is just insane.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 6 users Like Moz's post:
  • Clean Feed, IanJRedman, itsrobert, Ma76, Newsroom, nwtv2003

(17-08-2022, 10:17 PM)Moz Wrote:  If they have to close one channel I think it should be BBC World News. Us making news for the rest of the world but not for ourselves is just insane.

I thought that BBC WN was self-funding through its commercial activities, so in essence in the UK we're getting a 'free service' as we don't get the adverts.

There will still be the domestic 1/6/10 and breaking stories, so have probably got the best result under the circumstances.
Thread Closed