Thread Closed

BBC News Channel/BBC World News Merger

(07-03-2023, 12:49 PM)thevaran Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 12:06 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Apparently it's only being shown on partner channels now.

Focus on Africa shouldn't be shown outside the Africa region. It's not relevant to viewers in Europe.
People in Europe (including expats) are much more interested in what's happening in the UK .
Give European viewers News at six instead of Focus on Africa.

How about recording Focus on Africa at midday and repeating it several times during the day on WN in Africa.
But programmes like this could be useful for filler content for back hour content instead 
of repeats of repeats. Especially bad on the weekend at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StreamingTV's post:
  • Independent

I stumbled across this from 2001 when back then and it was deemed almost essential to let viewers know they were watching a 'joint service' - and it's not the only example of course.

youtu.be 

So what exactly has changed 'commercially' internally that it is not so important now? Because it was most certainly important in 2001 to let people know what they were watching.

Now of course a simple ' To our viewers here in the UK and around the World' is sufficient.

It would be great to fully understand how things have changed.

(07-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I stumbled across this from 2001 when back then and  it was deemed almost essential to let viewers know they were watching a 'joint service' - and it's not the only example of course.

youtu.be 

So what exactly has changed 'commercially' internally that it is not so important now?  Because it was most certainly important in 2001 to let people know what they were watching.

Now of course a simple ' To our viewers here in the UK and around the World' is sufficient.

Has it really changed that much? I can see why they'd do that when things were unexpectedly joined together as they were here but for general simulcasting (e.g. overnight UK times since the late 90s), they've pretty generally just referred to 'BBC News'
[-] The following 2 users Like sigma421's post:
  • Charles, interestednovice

(07-03-2023, 05:45 PM)sigma421 Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 05:34 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I stumbled across this from 2001 when back then and  it was deemed almost essential to let viewers know they were watching a 'joint service' - and it's not the only example of course.

youtu.be 

So what exactly has changed 'commercially' internally that it is not so important now?  Because it was most certainly important in 2001 to let people know what they were watching.

Has it really changed that much? I can see why they'd do that when things were unexpectedly joined together as they were here but for general simulcasting (e.g. overnight UK times since the late 90s), they've pretty generally just referred to 'BBC News'

Well yeah. It was called a 'joint service' whenever it happened be it bomb, strike or refurbishing a studio. it doesn't happen anymore so am just asking 'what has changed'. Maybe there was a commercial reason why it needed to be mentioned? I don't know, am posing a question and maybe someone with knowledge might know.

(07-03-2023, 12:16 PM)bakamann Wrote:  Lukwesa is now presenting the joint BBC News bulletin from Studio E.

I wonder if they are trialing a UK-centric news bulletins during the late-morning hours, which would, unfortunately, be primetime hours in the Asia-Pacific zone.

I expect that any trialling going on will be on the unbroadcast pilots, what we're seeing on air for this month is basically a "keeping things going" service and I wouldn't read much into anything we see on it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Moz, watchingtv

Who needs the BBC News Channel when you have a live stream on the website!? 

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 5 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, LTNewslover, Newsroom, UTVLifer

NC was carrying Rishi Sunak's speech in full till :56. WN and NC now are supposed to be in a simulcast, so WN must have been carrying it too...
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(07-03-2023, 06:57 PM)oscillon Wrote:  NC was carrying Rishi Sunak's speech in full till :56. WN and NC now are supposed to be in a simulcast, so WN must have been carrying it too...
Indeed. We had it too.
[-] The following 2 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

The organisational arrangements behind BBC World have changed about half-a-dozen times since then, so the rules have probably been written and rewritten several times. I guess one of the main things is that in the early-2000s there was a lot of worry from certain quarters about BBC World, which was loss-making at the time, being unfairly subsidised by the licence fee. Given that World had to be pay domestic a 'fair' usage fee for any UK-produced material used (and vice versa), it may have been the case that extraordinary joint programming had to be flagged so that nothing got under the radar.

Today, the channels are not just more integrated administratively, but BBC World News is now a profit-making enterprise so there is less worry about it being over-generously treated. Plus, for various reasons, the government has become less bothered about the relationship between the BBC's public service and commercial enterprises (e.g., the 2015 reforms around BBC Studios now mean that the commercial BBC is involved in the day-to-day of public service BBC anyway).
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Kojak, Newsroom

(07-03-2023, 06:31 PM)Moz Wrote:  Who needs the BBC News Channel when you have a live stream on the website!? 

not gonna lie, but I hope that's not gonna be the new BBC News channel would look like, because it too awful looking.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bakamann's post:
  • interestednovice
Thread Closed