BBC/ITV South West/Channel Islands News

Charlie McCardle said on last night’s BBC Channel Islands late bulletin “ I’ll be back on Monday on the same sofa but the surroundings may look a little different”
[-] The following 2 users Like Superman1986's post:
  • bkman1990, Former Member 406

(04-02-2023, 01:18 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Charlie McCardle said on last night’s BBC Channel Islands late bulletin “ I’ll be back on Monday on the same sofa but the surroundings may look a little different”
I hope that means that the sofa will be de-camped somewhere for long enough (weeks/months) to implement a proper overhaul in the usual studio, rather than the main St Helier studio only getting what little of a refresh could be achieved over just a weekend.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

(04-02-2023, 02:51 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(04-02-2023, 01:18 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  Charlie McCardle said on last night’s BBC Channel Islands late bulletin “ I’ll be back on Monday on the same sofa but the surroundings may look a little different”
I hope that means that the sofa will be de-camped somewhere for long enough (weeks/months) to implement a proper overhaul in the usual studio, rather than the main St Helier studio only getting what little of a refresh could be achieved over just a weekend.

To be fair, given the extremely small size of the St Helier studio, they'd probably only need a few days to refresh it and to put in a new sofa and coffee table like EMT and a new sticker on the back of the presenter's laptop
[-] The following 2 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

(04-02-2023, 03:27 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  
(04-02-2023, 02:51 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I hope that means that the sofa will be de-camped somewhere for long enough (weeks/months) to implement a proper overhaul in the usual studio, rather than the main St Helier studio only getting what little of a refresh could be achieved over just a weekend.

To be fair, given the extremely small size of the St Helier studio, they'd probably only need a few days to refresh it and to put in a new sofa and coffee table like EMT and a new sticker on the back of the presenter's laptop
And a St Helier backdrop?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Superman1986's post:
  • bkman1990

(04-02-2023, 03:31 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  
(04-02-2023, 03:27 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  To be fair, given the extremely small size of the St Helier studio, they'd probably only need a few days to refresh it and to put in a new sofa and coffee table like EMT and a new sticker on the back of the presenter's laptop
And a St Helier backdrop?

Given the fairly significant problems they'd face trying to get an LED videowall into the cupboard, I wouldn't be surprised if CI keeps its current backdrop
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart, Superman1986

I will be bitterly disappointed if BBC Channel Islands doesn't get something as close as possible to the standard look being rolled-out elsewhere, even if without LED screens.

For example... I see no good reason for them to not have the exact same style of sofa and desk already seen on East Midlands Today, the little woodgrain-effect ledges at the foot of the set walls, etc etc. Even if the set walls are just boards with a printed static image, rather than LED screens.

If the walls are just boards, then the image should be a photograph of the St Helier skyline taken from a sufficiently high/distant vantage point to be the same sort of broad panoramic vista as e.g. the Belfast and Nottingham ones. Albeit that it would presumably have to be a daylight-hours only image even in late night bulletins, just as is the case with their current backdrop.

Unless they can come up with a cunning solution for that, such as interchangeable boards with daylight/nighttime versions of the view that can be quickly and easily swapped-over. Or, as with the current Plymouth backdrop on Spotlight, use lighting techniques to change the daytime photo view to a faux nighttime look.
[-] The following 3 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart, Superman1986

With a small space studio set, you can replicate the 'vibe' of a look without being a copy. Any more and it'll be a waste as no room for the type of shots a bigger set can give.

There's probably enough bits knocking around after upgrades and closures to repurpose for an upgraded look.

Oxford static panels and set head/footer framework and leds would be a good base, utilise large LCD screens to make a proxy video wall, hell even pivot an extra one to portrait for the show branding card; add a red vertical stripe with branding over an existing newsroom background print and it's a pretty near look.

Here ends my one time fantasy set contribution.

A set doesn't need to be identical, regional viewers don't see other areas very often. It's become a weird British quirk where things must be matching, I can think of no other country where regional TV is cloned in every area - music, gfx, titles yes but whole sets? Can't recall any

(06-02-2023, 12:30 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  It's become a weird British quirk where things must be matching,  I can think of no other country  where regional TV is cloned in every area - music,  gfx, titles yes but whole sets? Can't recall any

Not really. As a matter of fact, it’s become quite the norm to have matching sets in most if not all regions. Here are some examples I can think of: France 3 regional news, Rai 3 TG Regione in Italy, WDR Lokalzeit in Germany, SVT Lokala Nyheter in Sweden, ORF 2 regional news in Austria. All have the same look and set in multiple locations.

One notable exception being TVP3 in Poland, which is an outright explosion of wildly different regional styles under one channel brand.

Have a browse here: youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaose's post:
  • Jayesyn

(06-02-2023, 01:14 AM)chaose Wrote:  
(06-02-2023, 12:30 AM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  It's become a weird British quirk where things must be matching,  I can think of no other country  where regional TV is cloned in every area - music,  gfx, titles yes but whole sets? Can't recall any

Not really. As a matter of fact, it’s become quite the norm to have matching sets in most if not all regions. Here are some examples I can think of: France 3 regional news, Rai 3 TG Regione in Italy, WDR Lokalzeit in Germany, SVT Lokala Nyheter in Sweden, ORF 2 regional news in Austria. All have the same look and set in multiple locations.

One notable exception being TVP3 in Poland, which is an outright explosion of wildly different regional styles under one channel brand.

Have a browse here: youtube.com 
I love tevebits 

Even in the examples you give, it matches my point.  Branding is shared and sets fit a vibe, while some identical, WDR, ORF and SVT all have variations in some regions (some are pre recorded shared production so are obviously identical, a bit like ITV meridian x3)

And oh Poland.  That is a very mixed bag.

Back to BBC Channel Islands and the tevebits trip made me think of NRK that has many tiny setups in the districts; Usually just a few PTZ cameras in a 'set' in a tiny corner of a newsroom with a production gallery sharing the space without walls! You can see it on the short late night bulletins at end credit shot in many districts.  Definitely on par with CI for compact operation, but onscreen a better tech quality

tv.nrk.no 

From a practical and cost point of view, it has to be easier, quicker and cheaper to have one matching design replicated across each region.

And I suspect that’s more the driving force behind the decision to have matching sets rather than a desire for exact uniformity.

Obviously St Helier might be an exception due to its size, so a compromise has to be made in this case.
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986, UTVLifer