BBC/ITV South West/Channel Islands News

(22-05-2023, 06:49 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 06:15 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  With all the predictability of Greece and Cyprus voting for each other at Eurovision, there's still no end this evening to BBC Channel Islands' decamp.

Due to the sheer length of time that their decamp is lasting, I am increasingly inclined to suspect that something more substantial than we first thought might be happening.

I initially thought that St Helier would simply be getting a fairly basic new set in their existing pokey little studio (in which there simply isn't enough space for an LED set, in terms of both fire lane space behind the set walls and distance from the cameras to avoid issues such as the moire effect etc), which might nevertheless emulate the general style of the sets being rolled-out elsewhere albeit without LED screens.

I have previously speculated the possibility of structural changes to create a larger studio (if they can afford to lose e.g. newsroom/office space, or whatever, for this), which might even then be big enough to house an LED set after all.

If nothing is happening that will result in such substantial changes as those suggested above, or anything else that will be just as overtly apparent on-screen whenever the programme's new look is finally ready, then I'd very much like to know what is taking all this time.
It's hand-me-down kit on Jersey isn't it?

If the gallery kit from Oxford was newer , I'd speculate that CI are having a production upgrade as well as set, perhaps with added Casper CG and video servers

Could Cambridge be the source of any kit?

(22-05-2023, 07:50 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 06:49 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  It's hand-me-down kit on Jersey isn't it?

If the gallery kit from Oxford was newer , I'd speculate that CI are having a production upgrade as well as set, perhaps with added Casper CG and video servers

Could Cambridge be the source of any kit?

Oxford was a small setup like CI, Cambridge was a conventional setup I believe.

(22-05-2023, 06:15 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  With all the predictability of Greece and Cyprus voting for each other at Eurovision, there's still no end this evening to BBC Channel Islands' decamp.

Due to the sheer length of time that their decamp is lasting, I am increasingly inclined to suspect that something more substantial than we first thought might be happening.

I initially thought that St Helier would simply be getting a fairly basic new set in their existing pokey little studio (in which there simply isn't enough space for an LED set, in terms of both fire lane space behind the set walls and distance from the cameras to avoid issues such as the moire effect etc), which might nevertheless emulate the general style of the sets being rolled-out elsewhere albeit without LED screens.

I have previously speculated the possibility of structural changes to create a larger studio (if they can afford to lose e.g. newsroom/office space, or whatever, for this), which might even then be big enough to house an LED set after all.

If nothing is happening that will result in such substantial changes as those suggested above, or anything else that will be just as overtly apparent on-screen whenever the programme's new look is finally ready, then I'd very much like to know what is taking all this time.
Has it ever been confirmed that Channel Islands are getting a new set?
[-] The following 2 users Like Phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Superman1986

I'm totally baffled at people doubting/querying this.

Umpteen weeks ago, they moved to what clearly looks like a somewhat inferior recreation of their previous/existing set, various elements of which would seem to scream "temporary set" (which I described in a previous post, earlier in this thread).

If they *aren't* currently decamped (which would surely be with a view to getting some sort of studio/set upgrade), then I fail to see why the blithering flip they would currently be coming from anywhere whatsoever other than the very same (more sturdy/permanent looking) set that they were already using for the past several years, or why the surroundings used in recent weeks would have the tell-tale shortcomings of a temporary/interim/stopgap/decamp set-up.

Also factor-in that a standardised set design is currently being rolled-out to the Nations & Regions, and even a minority service like An Là on BBC Alba got a new set last autumn. All of which means that it would be rather poor treatment of the Channel Islands to be overlooked for some sort of spruce-up like everywhere else is getting.

(22-05-2023, 10:26 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I'm totally baffled at people doubting/querying this.

Umpteen weeks ago, they moved to what clearly looks like a somewhat inferior recreation of their previous/existing set, various elements of which would seem to scream "temporary set" (which I described in a previous post, earlier in this thread).

If they *aren't* currently decamped (which would surely be with a view to getting some sort of studio/set upgrade), then I fail to see why the blithering flip they would currently be coming from anywhere whatsoever other than the very same (more sturdy/permanent looking) set that they were already using for the past several years, or why the surroundings used in recent weeks would have the tell-tale shortcomings of a temporary/interim/stopgap/decamp set-up.

Also factor-in that a standardised set design is currently being rolled-out to the Nations & Regions, and even a minority service like An Là on BBC Alba got a new set last autumn. All of which means that it would be rather poor treatment of the Channel Islands to be overlooked for some sort of spruce-up like everywhere else is getting.

You forget that Spotlight was decamped for 18 months whilst major upgrade works took place at Seymour Road.  I suspect that some such major work is going on right now, so let's not have a running commentary of "when will BBC Channel Islands be back in their studio?"  Some of us are sick of it already.
[-] The following 2 users Like cityprod's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(23-05-2023, 10:21 AM)cityprod Wrote:  
(22-05-2023, 10:26 PM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I'm totally baffled at people doubting/querying this.

You forget that Spotlight was decamped for 18 months whilst major upgrade works took place at Seymour Road.  I suspect that some such major work is going on right now, so let's not have a running commentary of "when will BBC Channel Islands be back in their studio?"  Some of us are sick of it already.
Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read posts that you're "already sick of".

If you don't like the things that I choose to post about, you could always utilise this forum's Ignore List function. Time for me to make an addition to my Ignore List, methinks...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • MLehon

(23-05-2023, 10:33 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  
(23-05-2023, 10:21 AM)cityprod Wrote:  You forget that Spotlight was decamped for 18 months whilst major upgrade works took place at Seymour Road.  I suspect that some such major work is going on right now, so let's not have a running commentary of "when will BBC Channel Islands be back in their studio?"  Some of us are sick of it already.
Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing to read posts that you're "already sick of".

BBC South West is the region I'm in and watch regularly.  And since BBC Channel Islands is an opt-out of BBC South West, and it shares this thread, that's fine.  So, yeah, I am forced to read this bullcrap. 

I remember the 18 month decamp of Spotlight, as I watched it.  The original promise was that they were in that temporary set for a few months whilst the major upgrade works went on.  And that building not only broadcast BBC South West television but also BBC Radio Devon.

A similar situation exists with BBC Channel Islands.  It not only broadcasts the BBC Channel Islands bulletin, but also BBC Radio Jersey as well.  So any work that is taking place, is happening whilst a fully functioning radio station is also broadcasting.  And the BBC Radio Jersey/BBC Channel Islands building is nowhere near the size of the BBC South West building in Seymour Road.

Whatever is going to happen will happen when it happens.  Just be patient.
[-] The following 3 users Like cityprod's post:
  • bkman1990, TVenthusiasm, UTVLifer

Update on the new Channel Islands studio, this comes directly from the email that the BBC sent to me.

"BBC Channel Islands News will be getting a new set in the New Year."

"They have recently had some refurbishment, but they will get the new design that is being implemented across England in due course."

So it seems that they will also be getting a new set with the big screens like we have been seeing in the other regions.
I wonder how they will be able to fit the set in...
[-] The following 6 users Like TVHead's post:
  • Former Member 406, London Lite, Superman1986, TJTSW, TVenthusiasm, UTVLifer

My suspicions were right, then!

They must indeed be making structural changes (which would inherently be likely to take several months) to create a larger studio capable of housing one of the LED sets, hence why it won't debut until the new year.

It'd be nice if things were timed such that the St Helier and Plymouth LED sets make their on-screen debuts on the same day.

In which case, SW&CI may well be the very final region to get the set change.
[-] The following 2 users Like Former Member 406's post:
  • Superman1986, TVenthusiasm

Considering the size of the CI studio, the tablet will literally be a handheld one!
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Superman1986, UTVLifer