Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

Not sure this is the correct thread but didn't seem worthy of its own (and it's kind of Channel 4 related)

The music channels have all got new graphics (except Kiss) that seem to be lower quality recreations of the old ones... And back to bigger logos!

Kiss has changed too, just not as noticeable since it's only the text animation that has had to be remade on the song title, it's also a different font, not Gotham as before.

My guess is that Channel 4 has moved the playout of the Box Plus channels, beginning yesterday with Magic and Kiss, though I do agree all the channels do now have a lower quality feel to the graphics now.

Some of the changes involve some timings changes as well, programme titles pretty much animate off seconds after the song title, and it now takes 15 seconds for the song title to appear when a song begins.

Here's a comparison I made of 4Music, which certainly has the worst recreation, in particular it loses a lot of the smoother animations, it's very 'sudden'. Though the size and positioning of the DOG is now consistent with the other 4 channels.
twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • Clean Feed, frasergj, TVFan

Didn't realise Kiss had been done too, the difference was too subtle for me! The font on Magic looks different also.

Some of the recreations are a bit buggy, 4Music logo just vanishes instead of animating off, the chart positions are missing from the top right, as are the animations between videos. A whole bunch of general timing issues at the end of videos as you mentioned.

One plus is we're back to Magic instead of 'Magic TV' (wish it wasn't so opaque though, my OLED is not a fan!

The connected floating split logo thing behind the song titles is pre-animated in three sizes anyway, so it was simply redoing the text animation for Kiss.

Some of the unique features have also been lost, Kiss was programmed to rotate between a set of four different gradients, changing after every break, but is now purely a green to blue gradient. 4Music has lost all the progress bars that show you how far into the programme you are and on the song titles.

As you mentioned, countdown numbers are not present during music videos next to the programme titles, and all other specific graphics for programmes (e.g UK Hotlist, Box Fresh, etc.) are gone and I doubt will appear. (These did disappear over the last week with all channels using only their native graphics for all programmes, though I thought this was related to an issue two/three weeks ago where The Box was stuck using the UK Hotlist graphics for all programmes).

So far I don't believe E4 Extra has changed, and I'm not sure whether it will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(23-08-2022, 10:41 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  So far I don't believe E4 Extra has changed, and I'm not sure whether it will.

It actually has, it started up with the new Box Plus playout just now.

So I noticed the transition in between videos has reappeared on Kiss, though it gets cut off when the next video starts.

https://vimeo.com/747488692
Vimeo Video
The transitions on the other C4 music channels haven’t reappeared yet but probably will soon.

Anyone know why BoXmas is always the last one (out of all the Christmas music channels) to revert back. It looks like it has reverted back in the programming it's showing but it is still showing as BoXmas

The programming from Boxing Day switches to a party playlist theme, so it makes sense to keep that for New Year's itself, though I'm not sure why the return to The Box is happening on Thursday.

(01-01-2023, 11:06 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  The programming from Boxing Day switches to a party playlist theme, so it makes sense to keep that for New Year's itself, though I'm not sure why the return to The Box is happening on Thursday.

The Box graphics seem to be back today, still using BoXmas idents and labelled as such on the EPG.

Bit strange that the last thing to go is the EPG label and the idents