S4C Presentation

A modest break bumper to mark Saint David's Day 2024 on S4C - theident.gallery 

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • interestednovice, lookoutwales, RhysJR, Snop

(01-03-2024, 02:55 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  A modest break bumper to mark Saint David's Day 2024 on S4C - theident.gallery 

First time I've ever seen an explosion of paint described as 'modest'!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ethanh05's post:
  • interestednovice

Feel like S4C are due a rebrand, although I suspect their attention will be elsewhere with the inquiries going on….
[-] The following 4 users Like F4C's post:
  • Brekkie, Kunst, UTVLifer, what

I'm guessing these are now the oldest idents of the traditional terrestrial broadcasters other than perhaps STV. They've never really been able to match the idents of the 90s other than with the odd quirky Christmas set.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • what

(02-03-2024, 08:38 PM)F4C Wrote:  Feel like S4C are due a rebrand, although I suspect their attention will be elsewhere with the inquiries going on….

They’ve also only appointed a temporary chief executive so I doubt any rebrand will happen under her regime unless the move becomes permanent.

They are badly due a rebrand, though. The current set is - IMO - the weakest the channel has ever had. It felt generic from the very beginning and feels like little more than a graphics package overlaid on stock footage with some inoffensive library music. It wasn’t a patch on the quirky previous set which it replaced, and as Brekkie says it pales even more in comparison to the striking idents of the 90s with everyday objects representing a fire-breathing red dragon. I really feel they’d benefit from a more dynamic, uniquely Welsh look again to help the station stand out and to tie in with their On Demand Clic service. As it stands, it just looks tired, pedestrian and generic.
[-] The following 2 users Like Flux's post:
  • UTVLifer, what

(03-03-2024, 12:43 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I'm guessing these are now the oldest idents of the traditional terrestrial broadcasters other than perhaps STV. They've never really been able to match the idents of the 90s other than with the odd quirky Christmas set.
The previous set was, nevertheless, quite good
I loved almost all of it, from the music to the concept itself

Never I will understand who decided to get rid of the previous idents and even the previous logo for generic "corporateness"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kunst's post:
  • what

The 90s/00s set perfectly matched the channel S4C was at the time, part English Channel 4 entertainment, part slightly quirky Welsh language general content. The next set then perfectly the matched the channel they became when they lost the Channel 4 content - distinctly Welsh and offbeat. I love the greyness of them.

This current set is just painfully generic (and very un-S4C) which could equally represent a 'Great' or whatever the CBS channels are called today.

But to be honest S4C have bigger problems than their pres and, presuming pulling more idents out from the cupboard and putting them to air (as they did at Christmas) isn't a viable option, it'd probably be better left until they're on a firmer footing.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • UTVLifer, what

(03-03-2024, 04:29 PM)Flux Wrote:  They’ve also only appointed a temporary chief executive so I doubt any rebrand will happen under her regime unless the move becomes permanent.

They are badly due a rebrand, though. The current set is - IMO - the weakest the channel has ever had. It felt generic from the very beginning and feels like little more than a graphics package overlaid on stock footage with some inoffensive library music. It wasn’t a patch on the quirky previous set which it replaced, and as Brekkie says it pales even more in comparison to the striking idents of the 90s with everyday objects representing a fire-breathing red dragon. I really feel they’d benefit from a more dynamic, uniquely Welsh look again to help the station stand out and to tie in with their On Demand Clic service. As it stands, it just looks tired, pedestrian and generic.

I agree. The Magnetism set (2007-2014) was actually pretty good too, even if they felt a little too melancholy on occasion.

The current logo is fine but the idents feel bland. There's no clear theme or direction, just generic footage with music anyone could have made on GarageBand. Fully aware their priorities are elsewhere but a rebrand should be something considered ASAP. A modern day version of the Dragon or Magnetism sets could work well.

(03-03-2024, 06:59 PM)WillPS Wrote:  The 90s/00s set perfectly matched the channel S4C was at the time, part English Channel 4 entertainment, part slightly quirky Welsh language general content. The next set then perfectly the matched the channel they became when they lost the Channel 4 content - distinctly Welsh and offbeat. I love the greyness of them.

This current set is just painfully generic (and very un-S4C) which could equally represent a 'Great' or whatever the CBS channels are called today.

But to be honest S4C have bigger problems than their pres and, presuming pulling more idents out from the cupboard and putting them to air (as they did at Christmas) isn't a viable option, it'd probably be better left until they're on a firmer footing.

Hopefully they get their act together. There is an opportunity for S4C to thrive if they get their priorities right and concentrate on the right stuff.

There is a demand for "foreign-language" content at home and abroad, and they should be looking to really nail that.

When the current set initially launched, there was a connecting theme - people.

theident.gallery 

Unfortunately, after a year, this part of the identity was removed leaving the idents feeling unconnected.

[Image: tig96x96.png]