Newsroom Movers and Shakers

(29-01-2024, 11:06 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Jeremy Vine told viewers on Channel 5 this morning that Mike Embley is making an appearance with Storm Huntley at 11:15am today.

Has Mike Embley, who used to do the 2am to 5am slot on BBC World News, been on Channel 5 before?

EDIT: Oh sorry. I made a mistake here. Please ignore my earlier post. Thanks.

If you didn't see it in the BBC News thread
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 9 users Like NickyS's post:
  • AndrewP, bai4943, bkman1990, harshy, interestednovice, MLehon, Plutobug, RhysJR, Rolling News

Charlotte Leeming (ex-BBC Look North Yorkshire) is joining Sky News as North of England Correspondent, following a freelance stint reporting for BBC network news (and anchoring Look North Newcastle during the work-to-rule)

She joins on a 12-month contract.

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • London Lite, Michael 18, Spencer, Steve in Pudsey

Wasn't that Mike McCarthy, ex Look North's gig?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales

(01-02-2024, 10:33 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Wasn't that Mike McCarthy, ex Look North's gig?

Yeah, that’s the one. Charlotte’s been filling a similar role while freelancing for BBC News.

I’m pleased for Charlotte. I’ve always thought she was excellent on Look North. One of those broadcasters who has that magic combination of professionalism and warmth.

It’d be nice if she gets the opportunity to do some presenting as part of her new role.

(05-02-2024, 02:44 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I’m pleased for Charlotte. I’ve always thought she was excellent on Look North. One of those broadcasters who has that magic combination of professionalism and warmth.

It’d be nice if she gets the opportunity to do some presenting as part of her new role.

I got the impression she had wanted to move away from TV news when she left BBC Yorkshire during the pandemic - but I guess she was drawn back into it eventually.

She had tweeted in the past about turning down freelance reporting shifts to focus on PR etc, but that changed over time.

Talking of shifting careers, one that caught my eye some years back was when one of ITV Wales' Northern reporters, Lorna Prichard, gave up journalism to pursue a career as a stand-up comic.

She's had considerable success with that - and has done some presenting on Radio Wales - but now, she's moving back into journalism as BBC Wales' new culture correspondent (presumably replacing the Arts & Media role left vacant)

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Former ABC News London correspondent Julia Macfarlane has left for BBC News as a producer. She's currently covering The Nine on BBC Scotland as a co-presenter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Superman1986

Sophie Long is now back in Blighty for BBC News following the end of her spell as a North America Correspondent (with Emma Vardy replacing her); she was reporting outside Windsor Castle earlier in the week.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Superman1986, TJTSW

It might not have been his first appearance, but noticed Dermot Murnaghan had popped up filling in on Times Radio Breakfast this morning.