Thread Closed

This Morning

While it's safe to say that TM is a "safe format", it went through radical change in 2009 when Holly joined. It seemed that the audience had grown older with the show, but didn't really target younger women in the same way it does today.

The problem now is that you have a heritage presenter who's been on there since 2002 and the other who can no longer play the giggly young woman act now she's in her early 40s and the chemistry is no longer there between them.

When you watch the Friday editions, you can see how fresh the programme is with Alison and Dermot, a bit like Holly and Phil were in 2010 with genuine chemistry. However I'd say the Alison and Dermot casting isn't motivated in the way H&P were in 2009.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Brekkie, UTVLifer

I can’t see Dermot and Alison ever moving up to full time, just as Ruth and Eamon didn’t. What they do (and are very good at doing) is very different to the Monday to Thursday show, they’re almost an irreverent offshoot of the show.

Josie and Craig feels like the natural next main presenting partnership I’d say. Josie in particular is excellent, surprised we’ve not really seen her crop up elsewhere.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

Phil is now of course without any other shows apart from Dancing on Ice also with Holly.

Holly doesn't have anything else either, when she used to have many solo projects.

(14-05-2023, 01:18 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Phil is now of course without any other shows apart from Dancing on Ice also with Holly.

And there's the problem, like with any double act if one goes off the rails, then the other is affected as well. Holly is now typecast as being part of one. It obviously worked well from 2009-2022, but it isn't now.

(14-05-2023, 01:25 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 01:18 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Phil is now of course without any other shows apart from Dancing on Ice also with Holly.

And there's the problem, like with any double act if one goes off the rails, then the other is affected as well.    Holly is now typecast as being part of one.  It obviously worked well from 2009-2022, but it isn't now.
I don’t think that’s too much a problem for Holly as she’s done many shows with others, Bradley Walsh, Declan Donnelly, Lee Mack in addition to many shows on her own like Surprise Surprise and appearing on Celebrity Juice. If Richard can operate without Judy I’m sure Holly can operate without Phil.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Scrotnig

(14-05-2023, 01:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I can’t see Dermot and Alison ever moving up to full time, just as Ruth and Eamon didn’t. What they do (and are very good at doing) is very different to the Monday to Thursday show, they’re almost an irreverent offshoot of the show.

Josie and Craig feels like the natural next main presenting partnership I’d say. Josie in particular is excellent, surprised we’ve not really seen her crop up elsewhere.
Josie is far better in the role than I thought she would be but I find Alison more of a natural.   If Alison were to move up to Mon-Thu then I'd certainly put Josie on Fridays, but not sure I'd make Josie the main presenter.

And of course the way the tabloids and social media work whoever gets the gig they'll be coming for in a matter of weeks anyway and they'll always be looking out for the negative tweets rather than the positive one.

As for Phil and Holly - putting aside the off-screen issues I've said for a while their ever increasing holidays is a real problem with remaining connected to the audience.  

They've traded, especially Holly, on basically being the viewers on screen and though of course they're paid well and get Fridays off, I think the real disconnect comes with them getting extra holidays on top of the holidays you expect, so leaving for summer a week early and returning a week late and then the same at Christmas - and then that seemingly increasing to leaving two weeks early on both counts, and then on top of that you have the weeks they're off filming other projects which is fair enough, but to the viewer just looks like they barely have to put the graft in.    

And then editorially within the show although they'll tackle things like the cost of living pretty well in the news reviews and phone ins you then have features for £70 advent calendars and "budget" fashion items which still involve spending £50 on each item based on what some fashion editor thinks is in season.    That's probably on producers rather than them to be fair, but these things are all adding up and all making them seem out of touch.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jayesyn, UTVLifer

Phil and Holly will be on-air tomorrow at 10.

(14-05-2023, 03:46 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Phil and Holly will be on-air tomorrow at 10.
ITV are clearly not concerned by all the media nonsense so you’d think they therefore have considerable confidence that there’s nothing much to any of it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • Alf Stewart, Jayesyn, Otis Crump

(14-05-2023, 03:54 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 03:46 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Phil and Holly will be on-air tomorrow at 10.
ITV are clearly not concerned by all the media nonsense so you’d think they therefore have considerable confidence that there’s nothing much to any of it.

Exactly. If there was any credible evidence to back up the unsubstantiated rumours peddled by certain outlets, ITV would act to protect their business interests. They're not going to act in response to claims that aren't in any way being backed up, or the fact you can search Google for rumours and be rewarded with a plentiful amount of claptrap.

(14-05-2023, 04:07 PM)Otis Crump Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 03:54 PM)Scrotnig Wrote:  ITV are clearly not concerned by all the media nonsense so you’d think they therefore have considerable confidence that there’s nothing much to any of it.

Exactly. If there was any credible evidence to back up the unsubstantiated rumours peddled by certain outlets, ITV would act to protect their business interests. They're not going to act in response to claims that aren't in any way being backed up, or the fact you can search Google for rumours and be rewarded with a plentiful amount of claptrap.

But, but Miss, Dan Wootten said so!
[-] The following 3 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • Brekkie, Jayesyn, Otis Crump
Thread Closed