Thread Closed

This Morning

I think people are conflating two different things here. Yes, there are the ridiculous clickbait articles, but despite what people say about tabloids, traditional print or primary digital editions of tabloids do tend to have properly sourced stories and follow the same journalistic rules of any newspaper. Just because something is written in a tabloid style doesn't mean it isn't true.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alessi's post:
  • Parsons

(14-05-2023, 06:41 PM)Alessi Wrote:  I think people are conflating two different things here. Yes, there are the ridiculous clickbait articles, but despite what people say about tabloids, traditional print or primary digital editions of tabloids do tend to have properly sourced stories and follow the same journalistic rules of any newspaper. Just because something is written in a tabloid style doesn't mean it isn't true.

There are so very many examples of this absolutely not being the case, the thought of attempting to list them exhausts me.

(14-05-2023, 02:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 01:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  I can’t see Dermot and Alison ever moving up to full time, just as Ruth and Eamon didn’t. What they do (and are very good at doing) is very different to the Monday to Thursday show, they’re almost an irreverent offshoot of the show.

Josie and Craig feels like the natural next main presenting partnership I’d say. Josie in particular is excellent, surprised we’ve not really seen her crop up elsewhere.
Josie is far better in the role than I thought she would be but I find Alison more of a natural.   If Alison were to move up to Mon-Thu then I'd certainly put Josie on Fridays, but not sure I'd make Josie the main presenter.

And of course the way the tabloids and social media work whoever gets the gig they'll be coming for in a matter of weeks anyway and they'll always be looking out for the negative tweets rather than the positive one.

As for Phil and Holly - putting aside the off-screen issues I've said for a while their ever increasing holidays is a real problem with remaining connected to the audience.  

They've traded, especially Holly, on basically being the viewers on screen and though of course they're paid well and get Fridays off, I think the real disconnect comes with them getting extra holidays on top of the holidays you expect, so leaving for summer a week early and returning a week late and then the same at Christmas - and then that seemingly increasing to leaving two weeks early on both counts, and then on top of that you have the weeks they're off filming other projects which is fair enough, but to the viewer just looks like they barely have to put the graft in.    

And then editorially within the show although they'll tackle things like the cost of living pretty well in the news reviews and phone ins you then have features for £70 advent calendars and "budget" fashion items which still involve spending £50 on each item based on what some fashion editor thinks is in season.    That's probably on producers rather than them to be fair, but these things are all adding up and all making them seem out of touch.
There's nothing wrong with having segments like the Beauty Advent calendar and fashion items because they do acknowledge that they are expensive but they're not going to scrap them just because some moaner on Pres Cafe and Digital Spy doesn't like it. What's next, replace the cookery segment with them cooking up beans on toast or clothes that can only be bought from Primark or George?

I get the feeling some won't be happy until This Morning is stripped of any fun segments.

(14-05-2023, 06:48 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 02:18 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Josie is far better in the role than I thought she would be but I find Alison more of a natural.   If Alison were to move up to Mon-Thu then I'd certainly put Josie on Fridays, but not sure I'd make Josie the main presenter.

And of course the way the tabloids and social media work whoever gets the gig they'll be coming for in a matter of weeks anyway and they'll always be looking out for the negative tweets rather than the positive one.

As for Phil and Holly - putting aside the off-screen issues I've said for a while their ever increasing holidays is a real problem with remaining connected to the audience.  

They've traded, especially Holly, on basically being the viewers on screen and though of course they're paid well and get Fridays off, I think the real disconnect comes with them getting extra holidays on top of the holidays you expect, so leaving for summer a week early and returning a week late and then the same at Christmas - and then that seemingly increasing to leaving two weeks early on both counts, and then on top of that you have the weeks they're off filming other projects which is fair enough, but to the viewer just looks like they barely have to put the graft in.    

And then editorially within the show although they'll tackle things like the cost of living pretty well in the news reviews and phone ins you then have features for £70 advent calendars and "budget" fashion items which still involve spending £50 on each item based on what some fashion editor thinks is in season.    That's probably on producers rather than them to be fair, but these things are all adding up and all making them seem out of touch.
There's nothing wrong with having segments like the Beauty Advent calendar and fashion items because they do acknowledge that they are expensive but they're not going to scrap them just because some moaner on Pres Cafe and Digital Spy doesn't like it. What's next, replace the cookery segment with them cooking up beans on toast or clothes that can only be bought from Primark or George?

I get the feeling some won't be happy until This Morning is stripped of any fun segments.
I don't think anyone is implying that such segments should, or will, be scrapped. What they are saying is that perhaps it might be an idea for the producers of This Morning to come up with some new takes on these segments. How about a section on thrifting? (That's buying second-hand clothes, for you oldies reading this Big Grin ) I know you're joking about the beans on toast thing, but a segment on cheap meals isn't a bad shout. (Just avoid Jack Monroe like the plague, whatever they do!)

(14-05-2023, 07:01 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 06:48 PM)XIII Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with having segments like the Beauty Advent calendar and fashion items because they do acknowledge that they are expensive but they're not going to scrap them just because some moaner on Pres Cafe and Digital Spy doesn't like it. What's next, replace the cookery segment with them cooking up beans on toast or clothes that can only be bought from Primark or George?

I don't think anyone is implying that such segments should, or will, be scrapped. What they are saying is that perhaps it might be an idea for the producers of This Morning to come up with some new takes on these segments. How about a section on thrifting? (That's buying second-hand clothes, for you oldies reading this Big Grin ) I know you're joking about the beans on toast thing, but a segment on cheap meals isn't a bad shout. (Just avoid Jack Monroe like the plague, whatever they do!)
They already do segments on how to save money that on occasions. It's just people moaning for the sake for moaning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Otis Crump

(14-05-2023, 07:15 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 07:01 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don't think anyone is implying that such segments should, or will, be scrapped. What they are saying is that perhaps it might be an idea for the producers of This Morning to come up with some new takes on these segments. How about a section on thrifting? (That's buying second-hand clothes, for you oldies reading this Big Grin ) I know you're joking about the beans on toast thing, but a segment on cheap meals isn't a bad shout. (Just avoid Jack Monroe like the plague, whatever they do!)
They already do segments on how to save money that on occasions. It's just people moaning for the sake for moaning.
That tells you how often I watch This Morning, then (almost never).

(14-05-2023, 07:15 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(14-05-2023, 07:01 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I don't think anyone is implying that such segments should, or will, be scrapped. What they are saying is that perhaps it might be an idea for the producers of This Morning to come up with some new takes on these segments. How about a section on thrifting? (That's buying second-hand clothes, for you oldies reading this Big Grin ) I know you're joking about the beans on toast thing, but a segment on cheap meals isn't a bad shout. (Just avoid Jack Monroe like the plague, whatever they do!)

The point is people are moaning and all this moaning adds up when things aren't going well.   When it's going great they're given the benefit of the doubt.

What might be a problem is if we start to see the Piers Morgan effect of guests only willing to appear when the main hosts are off.   If that became an issue the producers would need to take action.

If things are really as bad behind the scenes as they suggest, I’d imagine they’ll already be negotiating Schofield’s exit with his management so it looks less like he was pushed and he gets a send off. I wouldn’t expect appearances from Ruth, Eamonn, Rylan, Amanda Holden or Fern Britton though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • London Lite

I hope they rename tomorrows ''This Morning's View'' ''Elephant in the room''.

It struck me that Joe Lycett had a spokesperson announce he had a dose of the old Mandy Dingles at tonight's BAFTAs. Of course there's no evidence for this but it's worth noting, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • bilky asko
Thread Closed