Thread Closed

This Morning

I personally used to really like Philip & Holly, but my slight affinity started to wane after the 2015 revamp. I don't think adding "with Philip & Holly" to the show's title was a particularly inspired or wise decision. This Morning had always been about the "family", as in all contributors had somewhat equal pegging. If for some reason you needed a replacement for P or H on the day, any one of the "family" could step-in and it would feel (fairly) normal.

However, once you create the hierarchical structure and environment of "No, these two are the stars and everybody just floats around them", it starts to become bitter and awkward - and we've even seen some individuals who have been close to This Morning (or even part of the "family") post sly digs on social media over the last few days.

If you want to base your show around your stars, then grand - but you need to ensure they are squeaky, squeaky clean...
[-] The following 2 users Like WhisperOfCinnamon's post:
  • Josh, thomash79

So there was an attempt at clearing up the circumstances of their “queue-jumping” today. The top of the show had a report on the last ten days and included some clips of them talking outside Westminster, before the reporter queue being explained by Holly and an acceptance of how that may have looked. The extent of their reporting was limited to say the least, however - a bit of standing outside talking briefly to a camera or phone (not sure which).

The thing is that they haven't just gone up and barged into a queue, press access had been arranged through the proper authorities running the event.

It's like complaining that Ian Wright didn't queue to get into a football match he was covering.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Ma76, thePineapple, VMPhil

Does anyone outside of social media really care about this? They're media so they got media passes - don't see what the fuss is about or why this suddenly brings both of their employment statuses into question!

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 6 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • harshy, JamesWorldNews, Ma76, nwtv2003, thePineapple, TVFan

(20-09-2022, 12:34 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Does anyone outside of social media really care about this? They're media so they got media passes - don't see what the fuss is about or why this suddenly brings both of their employment statuses into question!

This is Twitter now sadly. When The Big Breakfast came back in the Summer, the majority were moaning about the show because the presenters had a different skin colour.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • JamesWorldNews

Virtue signalling and virtue whinging. Both are as bad as each other and symptomatic of social media.

[Image: tig96x96.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew Wood's post:
  • Alan de Robson, Alf Stewart

Had Holly and Phil committed an actual crime, I'd understand the outrage but nothing they did is even slightly worthy of resignation. Misjudged, maybe but not something that ITV are really going to care about.

I can see Martin Frizzell leaving, but not H&P

I actually think that ITV and the producers at This Morning are at fault for this for thinking the whole segment was appropriate in the first place. I feel for Holly and Phil because it's not like they have a choice when the programme/producer is asking them to film a piece for a future show. It comes with a string of failings and poor decision making at ITV and This Morning over the last few weeks/months so if I'm honest all of the hate directed at Holly and Phil is definitely not justified when the decision to film the segment wasn't theirs to make.
[-] The following 6 users Like brioalex's post:
  • all new phil, harshy, Jayesyn, Ma76, TJTSW, TVFan

The insistence that they were in there on behalf of ''the millions who couldn't be'' is a little suspect considering it was streamed 24/7 for 5 days for that very reason. And the eventual summary of their experience was ultimately less moving and insightful than the hundreds of regular people on the news who'd already given their own anyway.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Josh, Larry the Loafer, Pips2022
Thread Closed