Thread Closed

This Morning

Beckham and Susanna Reid queueing for hours, just like everyone else, doesn't help H&P's case at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • Kojak

I feel like what 'Queuegate' has really showed us is that people are really quick to jump on something, especially when they don't like the person, or people, that did that thing. Holly and Philip were there, ostensibly, as a part of their job. At worst, this is a bad case of foot in mouth. I don't think they should have done it as part of This Morning. By all means, interview people in the queue, and join the queue as a private individual. If you did that, and then went as press, it would be a much better look for them. But they're not reporters, they are not press. They are presenters, so to let them in as press seems like a stretch.

But back to the remit of this website: Do I think that Holly and Philip should resign? No, I don't think they should. Do I think it shows a lack of awareness from ITV? Yes I do. And yes, I do believe This Morning should have a presentation/set refresh. It might help them recover from the PR nightmare quicker

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Aaron, brioalex

It seems like a lot of people in this thread are trying to dismiss the queueing issues as much ado about nothing, but that's just simply not the case?

ITV should probably be doing some kind of investigation into the matter, figuring if they actually did do a bad thing and then working from there.
If they purposefully gained access to press passes just so they could skip the queue, they should be forced to resign, it's just disingenuous to the viewer and overall egotistical.

Perhaps they were unable to bring an actual camera in, but I find that unlikely. They could've at least given them a DSLR or something of the like to record on.

They weren’t there to actually film, no filming was allowed, they were there to take in the atmosphere to report back to their viewers what it felt like, which is pretty standard stuff

The controversy seems to be that only those with a BA Hons in Journalism were allowed to attend and/or those who are unknown to the public so can’t be spotted
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • fionntan, Ma76, VMPhil, XIII

I don’t think Holly or Phil should resign because of this. It’s not like they have done something that goes against the terms in their contracts at ITV. Whatever happened here, it was definitely a misjudged decision by ITV, This Morning, the producer, editor, Holly and Phil… whoever it was didn’t exactly make the right call but to cause all this fuss over a queue is just crazy.

I don’t think their actions caused anyone who wanted to see the Queen any harm, no one missed their chance to see the lying in state because they just happened to be passing through Westminster Hall. The queue and filing past weren’t stopped because they were in the hall either.

I agree the whole thing looks bad, the way it’s being spun doesn’t help that either. It all boils down to being a poor judgement for an item that was supposedly meant to be a segment in the show on Tuesday. If anything you could say in hindsight Holly and Phil could’ve pushed back on the idea by explaining it probably wouldn’t look good from the public’s point of view but then again we don’t know if this happened and I can only assume if they did some ITV executive would’ve told them to go ahead anyway because a story is a story after all these days…
[-] The following 1 user Likes brioalex's post:
  • TJTSW

I’m not sure I appreciate the assertion by some that people are being swayed in their opinion on this by their opinion of Schofield and Willoughby. It’s perfectly possible to objectively believe that they completely misjudged this, and to recognise that there is a growing dislike for them amongst viewers. I don’t give a sh**e about them to be honest, I rarely watch the show and don’t really care if it’s them or someone else presenting, but I can understand the need for viewers to trust them and how fragile that trust can be. Once it’s gone it’s gone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • Kim Wexler’s Ponytail

Considering the ill thought out spin the wheel game which included a prize of having your utility bills paid, queue gate is the icing on the cake for what are clearly poor production issues. The competition prize was something out of Black Mirror and both are going to upset the target audience who are like all of us struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table.

Personally I'd like them to go, but I realise there's still an audience who enjoy watching the duo even if the shine has gone from them as they're no longer relatable to their audience on that show. That doesn't mean they shouldn't work on ITV, but on different shows.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • Alan de Robson, all new phil

(21-09-2022, 11:26 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Considering the ill thought out spin the wheel game which included a prize of having your utility bills paid, queue gate is the icing on the cake for what are clearly poor production issues.  The competition prize was something out of Black Mirror and both are going to upset the target audience who are like all of us struggling to pay their bills and put food on the table.

Personally I'd like them to go, but I realise there's still an audience who enjoy watching the duo even if the shine has gone from them as they're no longer relatable to their audience on that show.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't work on ITV, but on different shows.

Yeah it is time for Phil and Holly to go, they've had their day, Phil should go back to the BBC where he belonged.

I see Dan Wootton is leading the charge against Phil and Holly

twitter.com 

Of course he’s had an axe to grind against ITV Daytime since he was axed from Lorraine. Those opening titles where he used to whisper gossip in her ear make me shudder

He also thinks calling it the ‘Elizabeth Line’ is a really clever pun

(21-09-2022, 02:39 PM)Jon Wrote:  But whilst I can understand why people who waited for 12 hours would be annoyed, I don’t believe they did anything the majority of those people wouldn’t have done given the opportunity.

If you say so but since when has that being This Morning’s attitude? They’ve always being known for covering this kind of stuff with a more human approach than their rivals. That has always being This Morning’s brand. Susanna Reid didn’t need a media pass on behalf of GMB to to take in the atmosphere and report back what she felt and neither did Phillip and Holly for TM.

Again, all I’m saying is their only crime is unusually out of touch misjudgment. I don’t think they should be sacked and nobody should be baying for blood. I do like the more gentle memes though and the ribbing they’re getting from the companies like dominos pizza and buzz bingo.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • all new phil, Jon
Thread Closed