Thread Closed

This Morning

Yeah agree this was a misjudgement on the producer/ editor of this morning, but would have hoped Phil & Holly would have known how this would have looked to their viewers and pushed back on It, but clearly not, the bit of footage after when Phil says this is a profound moment of his life, kinda rubs salt into “Selfish me mr presenter” moment.

I don’t wish bad of Phil or Holly but their glory had been tarnished recently, it’s not the first time in the last few weeks, also years after turning up still drunk after some awards… got a bit too over confident they can do anything they like… 

I think going forwards they should drop their names off This Morning with Phil & Holly , just have it as This Morning, refilm some new opening credits without Phil and Holly’s faces in them,  let the dust settle, if they leave there’s no big fuss,  a set refresh wouldn’t go a miss at the same time 

I’m guessing ITV are backing them as they both also present Dancing on Ice, so are hoping this will all blow over as could effect this show too?!

It should be noted that Susanna Reid attended in a personal capacity with her family members. She could theoretically have gone on behalf of GMB but her mother wouldn’t have been able to attend, and I expect going with her was the main purpose of her visit.

None of the media have mentioned this, they’ve just said how come Susanna queued and Holly and Phil just barged in pushing mourners out of their way

As it stands I can see Holly not presenting on Monday, facing such constant abuse she’ll probably have mental health issues and need time away. She’s probably never faced anything like this before.

I’m surprised businesses are wading in to the online bullying, imagine if it ended up like when Caroline Flack was bullied online.

It’s peak ‘TV Forum’ to suggest a set refresh will sort it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • XIII

(21-09-2022, 11:45 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  Yeah agree this was a misjudgement on the producer/ editor of this morning, but would have hoped Phil & Holly would have known how this would have looked to their viewers and pushed back on It, but clearly not, the bit of footage after when Phil says this is a profound moment of his life, kinda rubs salt into “Selfish me mr presenter” moment.

I don’t wish bad of Phil or Holly but their glory had been tarnished recently, it’s not the first time in the last few weeks, also years after turning up still drunk after some awards… got a bit too over confident they can do anything they like… 

I think going forwards they should drop their names off This Morning with Phil & Holly , just have it as This Morning, refilm some new opening credits without Phil and Holly’s faces in them,  let the dust settle, if they leave there’s no big fuss,  a set refresh wouldn’t go a miss at the same time 

I’m guessing ITV are backing them as they both also present Dancing on Ice, so are hoping this will all blow over as could effect this show too?!

ITV aren't going to drop Holly and Phil from the titles, that's just stupid.

The online pile-on is unbelievable. Holly and Phil didn’t make the decision and, sadly, as the public faces of the brand, they are the ones getting all the flak.

This is completely unfair and should really stop. The level of abuse I’m seeing online is beyond comprehension.

The angst should be directed to ITV Productions and, at worst, to the Editor of This Morning.

But to single-out the presenters in this way is shocking and says more about society than them!

Victimizing people for doing their jobs..........?
[-] The following 1 user Likes JamesWorldNews's post:
  • brioalex

For me, I think the issue is that you would expect the two regular hosts of the show to have some sort of say as to the content of the programme they host - vetoing bad ideas, for example. 

If they don't understand the potential backlash of a segment amongst their viewership, then it suggests they're probably a bit out of touch - which isn't exactly ideal for the hosts of a programme like This Morning. 

They could have helped both the Spin To Win and queue-jumping situations with a decent apology. But that didn't happen in either case - and surely that is even more in their court that the initial decisions themselves.
[-] The following 3 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • brioalex, chevron, WillPS

Given Mary Nightingale is behind Holly and Phil in the photo then surely she'd be able to clear up what went on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • Si-Co

(21-09-2022, 11:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It should be noted that Susanna Reid attended in a personal capacity with her family members. She could theoretically have gone on behalf of GMB but her mother wouldn’t have been able to attend, and I expect going with her was the main purpose of her visit.
Yeah, Susanna didn’t gain herself easy access via GMB. She queued with her mere mortal mother. 

Phillip has been doing the show for 20 years now and Holly 13. It seems pretty likely they would have a fair bit of input by now.

(22-09-2022, 01:06 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  For me, I think the issue is that you would expect the two regular hosts of the show to have some sort of say as to the content of the programme they host - vetoing bad ideas, for example. 

If they don't understand the potential backlash of a segment amongst their viewership, then it suggests they're probably a bit out of touch - which isn't exactly ideal for the hosts of a programme like This Morning. 

They could have helped both the Spin To Win and queue-jumping situations with a decent apology. But that didn't happen in either case - and surely that is even more in their court that the initial decisions themselves.

And this is where the damage to the profiles of both presenters has been tarnished. It shocks me just how out of touch not only the presenters, but the production team also.

I understand as a commercial television programme that they answer to advertisers and shareholders, but there's a PSB aspect where the viewers who are largely going to be those on low incomes, retired or students are really struggling and they come up with a crass game with prizes straight out of a dystopian society and yet nobody it appears challenged why they were doing this.

As for the recent issues at Westminster Hall, again they played it wrong, took the viewers to be idiots which only drives the perception that the presenters and production team really don't care or thought about how their core audience would feel about it.

The fact real viewers have this perception of their two 'star' presenters is concerning and not just the usual moaners who haven't gelled to Holly since she started.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • brioalex

There's no way they should be sacked, society has to stop baying for blood every time someone makes an error of judgement here.

Of course itv needs to look at what went on here, and This Morning seeming tired is not a new thing, it does need a refresh. Not sure if new presenters are needed.

I should add, I'm not really the biggest fan of the pair, I think their on-screen "chemistry" is false, but I accept they are (normally) popular and they are certainly both very good at what they do. Both can carry big live shows with ease.

Society needs a sense of perpective. There were clearly errors of judgement made here, by whom I don't know but it's unlikely to be the presenters themselves. Even if it was....sack them?? Utter nonsense!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • JamesWorldNews, TVFan

I do struggle with how anyone in their right mind would think an online petition can be used to terminate employment? ITV wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they sacked Holly and Phil just because a small section of people wanted them gone.
Thread Closed