HM Queen Elizabeth Dies & Funeral Coverage

(08-09-2022, 08:46 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Presumably GMB are going to absolutely throw the book at their coverage tomorrow morning - I would expect the special music during the 100,000 Covid deaths tribute and Captain Sir Tom's death last year to make a reappearance tomorrow

Well they’re hardly going to use the dance mix they use for entertainment news.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Rexogamer, Superman1986

My god. What a few days difference a story like this makes.

I was only watching a BBC documentary narrated by Queen Elizabeth II reflecting her 70 years on the throne as Queen of England. This documentary was shown on RTÉ One in Ireland last Thursday night.

And when I had a look at the breaking news reports from the BBC News & The Guardian apps on my phone; then that moment hit me.

I was left in stunned silence for a few moments before I had to inform my mum about the sad news about Queen Elizabeth's passing at about 6:30pm this evening.

I had not looked at the British channels so far when the official announcement about Queen Elizabeth's passing broke through the news wires this evening.

However I did see a half time mark of respect being observed among the players in the Zurich and Arsenal Europa League match just after the news broke in the UK. I was watching this match on Virgin Media Two in Ireland earlier this evening.

An Irish commentator had mentioned to the viewers of the match that Queen Elizabeth the II has passed away and a moments silence had to be observed by both teams and fans at the match in Switzerland. It was very surreal before it happened on screen. The management of both teams must have got the official word from UEFA that Queen Elizabeth II was no longer with us.

The players & management at Arsenal had to wear black armbands before the 2nd half of the match as a mark of respect. I thought it was very well put together when considering the difficult circumstances.

The recent BBC documentary on The Queen that was on RTÉ One last Thursday is called Elizabeth: The Unseen Queen. I would assume given today's sad events; this documentary will be shown again on the BBC's blanket schedules & on BBC iPlayer from tonight? It was first shown during the lead up to 70 year celebrations on the reign of her monarchy. It was a really good documentary on both her public & private life as Queen of England.

All I can say is that I hope that Queen Elizabeth has a really good send-off by the people of Britain in the next few days. She has left a remarkable legacy in her 70 year reign as Queen of England.

May she Rest in Peace.
[-] The following 2 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • octothorpe, Roger Darthwell

(08-09-2022, 08:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  
(08-09-2022, 08:46 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Presumably GMB are going to absolutely throw the book at their coverage tomorrow morning - I would expect the special music during the 100,000 Covid deaths tribute and Captain Sir Tom's death last year to make a reappearance tomorrow

Talking of entertainment. I think Richard Arnold would take a day off out of respect

Some clips of how the news of the death of Queen Elizabeth II broke across the BBC TV channels:

BBC One: www.youtube.com 

BBC Two: www.youtube.com 

BBC Scotland Channel: www.youtube.com 

BBC Alba: www.youtube.com 

CBBC: www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • bkman1990, Ma76, Newsroom, TVFan

i will say, seeing as we can get bbc radio here in the US, they have done a excellent job covering this from my ears. thoughts are with my friends in the UK and around the world
[-] The following 1 user Likes 1stplayertokens's post:
  • bkman1990

(08-09-2022, 08:52 PM)Superman1986 Wrote:  
(08-09-2022, 08:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  

Talking of entertainment. I think Richard Arnold would take a day off out of respect
Hmmmmmm, not sure any music is permitted , not even a sombre countdown. We shall see. It’s a first for all of us I assume.

How Sky Showcase broke the death during The Simpsons episode Homerpalooza.
youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like IdentFan101's post:
  • octothorpe, Superman1986, TVFan

All commercial breaks dropped on BT Sport with minimal punditry before and after tonight's matches. The Manchester United game, for example, was due on air at 19:15 but instead came on at around 19:55, as the teams were coming out. Ian Darke on commentary keen to stress that it was UEFA's decision to go ahead with the fixture.

Expected that there will be an announcement that the weekend's fixtures will be postponed.

BBC Radio stays with BBC News for the overnight period according to the schedules on BBC Sounds

Thank heavens Julie Etchingham has taken the baton from Mary Nighingale. I’m sure ITN know Tom Brady isn’t quite up to open ended coverage.